User Controls

The real reason big tech like unaffordable cities

The firms like being in places too expensive to raise a family– families are distractions, at least in the short-run.
    http://www.unz.com/isteve/amazon-and-unaffordable-family-formation/
    cupocheer Space Nigga [unwillingly condescend the dp]
    Google?

Really?
    aldra JIDF Controlled Opposition
    I think it's more often that big tech companies make cities unaffordable
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    Originally posted by aldra I think it's more often that big tech companies make cities unaffordable

Then why do they move to cities that are already crowded and expensive. I really don't buy that it's just the clustering effect.
    I am thinking that the cities are very concerned about the riff-raff that trail along behind bringing the less desirable elements of society with them.
    Ghost Black Hole
    Austin tx is the next Silicon Valley
    Originally posted by cupocheer I am thinking that the cities are very concerned about the riff-raff that trail along behind bringing the less desirable elements of society with them.

Tech cities are always filled with human detritus. That can't be the reason.
    Originally posted by Ghost Austin tx is the next Silicon Valley

What happened to Raliegh-Durham & Winston-Salem?
    Originally posted by cupocheer What happened to Raliegh-Durham & Winston-Salem?

Too affordable?
    Originally posted by aldra I think it's more often that big tech companies make cities unaffordable

chicken, eggs.
    Originally posted by vindicktive vinny chicken, eggs.

The promise of the internet was that even remote shit holes in Africa could compete on an equal footing in the world economy.

So why isn't Timbuktu a tech hub yet?
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    Because the young rus congregate to the big cities and companies get the choice of a better crop to harvest.
    Originally posted by Ghost Austin tx is the next Silicon Valley

Not really. It likes to fancy itself that, but there just isn’t enough VC money here and it’s wayyyyy too saturated with startups that are shitty. The city has definitely changed a lot. It’s getting closer to being a city and not a big small town. But Amazon passed on us and I don’t expect us to get many more big players.

CAN WE TALK ABOUT HOW PISSED I AM THAT MY CITY SKYLINE IS NOW BRANDED BY GOOGLE?! Smdh
    What else is there?

I've tried others but they are less reliable.

And I have a family obligation to honor?
    Originally posted by -mal- Not really. It likes to fancy itself that, but there just isn’t enough VC money here and it’s wayyyyy too saturated with startups that are shitty. The city has definitely changed a lot. It’s getting closer to being a city and not a big small town. But Amazon passed on us and I don’t expect us to get many more big players.

CAN WE TALK ABOUT HOW PISSED I AM THAT MY CITY SKYLINE IS NOW BRANDED BY GOOGLE?! Smdh

You can't afford to have kids, can you?
    Originally posted by -mal- CAN WE TALK ABOUT HOW PISSED I AM THAT MY CITY SKYLINE IS NOW BRANDED BY GOOGLE?! Smdh

https://www.citylab.com/design/2018/01/when-a-tech-giant-plays-waterfront-developer/549590/
    https://www.rt.com/news/442188-toronto-google-surveilance-city-privacy/

be glad it's just the skyline
    Originally posted by Nigger Stole My Bike The promise of the internet was that even remote shit holes in Africa could compete on an equal footing in the world economy.

fuck I laughed at this. will respond properly sometime
    Originally posted by Nigger Stole My Bike The promise of the internet was that even remote shit holes in Africa could compete on an equal footing in the world economy.

because niggers.

as simple as that.

ni, fucking, ggers.
    It's a funny thing about having children, NSMB.

When 2 people think they would like to have more money to enhance their lifestyle they get better paying jobs or second incomes.

When children come along its amazing how that money for 2 was enough to support a 3rd. Then a 4th, and possibly a 5th.

Its just like having unexpected company stop by to visit at a mealtime. There is always enough food for everyone.

Whether a person "can afford" to have children, or not, is not always the issue, but perhaps choice.

I delivered 5 children, fed them, clothed them, raised them decent and they all survived. They had what they needed, not, necessarily what they wanted but they weren't any better or worse than any of their friends or other families we knew.

Money isn't what life is about. Decency, respect, and love mean more?
    Originally posted by cupocheer It's a funny thing about having children, NSMB.

When 2 people think they would like to have more money to enhance their lifestyle they get better paying jobs or second incomes.

When children come along its amazing how that money for 2 was enough to support a 3rd. Then a 4th, and possibly a 5th.

Its just like having unexpected company stop by to visit at a mealtime. There is always enough food for everyone.

Whether a person "can afford" to have children, or not, is not always the issue, but perhaps choice.

I delivered 5 children, fed them, clothed them, raised them decent and they all survived. They had what they needed, not, necessarily what they wanted but they weren't any better or worse than any of their friends or other families we knew.

Money isn't what life is about. Decency, respect, and love mean more?

try living in somalia and tell me that.
Jump to Top