User Controls

My mom just called me and she said I sounded "out of it"

gadzooks Dark Matter [keratinize my mild-tasting blossoming]
    Wtf? I been drinking all day but I do that just about every day anyway. Also had some GHB and benzos.

Still though, how does a mother always just know?

Mom's have some kind of sixth sense for when they offspring be getting fucked up and shit.

Kind of impressive, actually.

It's like, some kind of evolutionary thing.
    Ghost Black Hole
    I made my mom cry once because I was doing too much meth.
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    Originally posted by Ghost I made my mom cry once because I was doing too much meth.

I teared up a little bit from that.

Fuck, I always feel so guilty when I'm fucked up and have to talk to either of my parents.

It's like some kind of bad guilt trip that I just want to end.
    Ghost Black Hole
    I was raised in a crack house so I don't feel so bad but I think I upset them because they probably blame themselves for making a monster.

I used to be straight edge and my dad would hand me a joint and I refused to take a hit.
    Mewsik African Astronaut [diagonally photosensitise my summation]
    It's aweful when you lie to your mother over and over again about stuff that we just know because we truly love you like no other love that is out there.

Or if you don't pick up the phone for months or longer .. then when you do, you say "yes I saw everyone of your texts and heard everyone of your messages" but I didn't respond. I talk to people all day ......
    I still remember when I broke down into tears and told my mom I need to go to the methadone clinic.

:(

Mom, I love you. I don't say it often because I'm all emotionally stunted and what not, but I do.

There we go, I let out my feelings of love towards my mother on an Internet forum.

I suppose it's a start.
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    Originally posted by Mewsik It's aweful when you lie to your mother over and over again about stuff that we just know because we truly love you like no other love that is out there.

Or if you don't pick up the phone for months or longer .. then when you do, you say "yes I saw everyone of your texts and heard everyone of your messages" but I didn't respond. I talk to people all day ……

I try to respond to every communication from my mom.

I have a complicated relationship with my mother. She has been an outright bitch in the past, and I stand by that remark. But she's still my mother and I love her and I look for every opportunity to make her proud of me, or at the very least, not ashamed.
    Ghost Black Hole
    Send her this thread
    Originally posted by gadzooks I try to respond to every communication from my mom.

I have a complicated relationship with my mother. She has been an outright bitch in the past, and I stand by that remark. But she's still my mother and I love her and I look for every opportunity to make her proud of me, or at the very least, not ashamed.

Lucky mom ... now if you could just stop doing things that are distroying your body, mind and soul
    Originally posted by Ghost Send her this thread

Her birthday's coming up, and I'm going to give her a few grand as a present.

It's not because money is some kind of substitute for love or anything like that, but it's because I've been a financial drain on her for so long, and only recently stumbled into a very high paying job.

Both my mom and dad told me this week how proud they are of me, and it meant the absolute world do me.

I'm so happy that I can finally repay them for all the money I cost them from being a deadbeat for all these years.

Plus, they get to brag to their friends about their son and his big important tech job.
    We are human beings like everyone else .. Being an asshole or a bitch sometimes is being human. When moms love their children and have nurtured them and loved doing so, that bond is forever ... which means it's very possible she will feel you hurting and dishonering yourself. Once you become an adult, Mom's cant steer you in the right direction or protect you. It's a horrible horrible feeling when we feel something is wrong .. Just don't lie to her, mom's can very easily feel like they are going crazy if that is your solution to not feeling guilty
    Originally posted by Mewsik We are human beings like everyone else .. Being an asshole or a bitch sometimes is being human. When moms love their children and have nurtured them and loved doing so, that bond is forever … which means it's very possible she will feel you hurting and dishonering yourself. Once you become an adult, Mom's cant steer you in the right direction or protect you. It's a horrible horrible feeling when we feel something is wrong .. Just don't lie to her, mom's can very easily feel like they are going crazy if that is your solution to not feeling guilty

I honestly try my very best not to lie to my mom.

The downside to that is that it means having to admit to drug use when I know that it worries her.

I wish I could only deliver to my mother good news when she asks for any updates on my life, but then I have to face the dilemma of either:
    1. Lying and saying "everything is okay."
    2. Telling the truth and admitting that I'm depressed, that I'm using drugs and drinking just about every day, and I see very little reason to carry on living.

Which is better?

Is it selfish of me to unload the burden of truth on my mom (i.e. #2 scenario), or is it selfish of me to be dishonest with her just to spare her any heartache?

And that's not a rhetorical question either, I really do want to know which of the two is ideal.
    Technologist victim of incest
    If you need her love to help you through a tough time, tell her; I bet she’d be happy to help you.

If you’re just telling her so you won’t lie, save her the heartache.

JMO
    Originally posted by Technologist If you need her love to help you through a tough time, tell her; I bet she’d be happy to help you.

If you’re just telling her so you won’t lie, save her the heartache.

JMO

I'd thank this post twice if I could.

That's some distilled wisdom right there.

I will keep that in mind next she asks me "how I'm doing."
    Well clearly she knows something already .. there is only one solution to this and you know it.

Get professional help for your drug and alcohol addiction and depression.

You don’t need to lay your addiction on her. That’s what professionals are for.

I’m different than most moms out there, so I’m really hesitant to advise without knowing your history.

But lying is not the answer either.
    Oops accidental double post!
    My son is 21, and he put me through hell in his teens, now we are closer than ever. I kinda had a hard time getting beyond the hell he put me through, but I’ve moved past it; never stopped my unconditional love though.

We talk every day even if it’s just to text good morning and I love you! I’m pretty sure I’d cringe if he told me all the stuff he has (or is doing) during his “young, dumb, and stupid” days.
    Originally posted by Mewsik Well clearly she knows something already .. there is only one solution to this and you know it.

Get professional help for your drug and alcohol addiction and depression.

You don’t need to lay your addiction on her. That’s what professionals are for.

I’m different than most moms out there, so I’m really hesitant to advise without knowing your history.

But lying is not the answer either.

That's why I try not to lay my addictions on her.

I'm a pretty high-functioning alcoholic at the end of the day. I make my 60k a year, I do good work, I have hobbies. Drugs don't really get in the way of anything. And that makes it all that much harder to admit to being an addict.

It's also why I don't lay it all on my mom, because she isn't the type of person that sees a difference between a high functioning addict such as myself (works diligently, pays the bills, etc), and the junkie on the street corner stealing your car stereo for his next fix.

I don't want her to worry about me. She doesn't deserve that.

I want her to think that everything in my life is perfect.
    Originally posted by Technologist My son is 21, and he put me through hell in his teens, now we are closer than ever. I kinda had a hard time getting beyond the hell he put me through, but I’ve moved past it; never stopped my unconditional love though.

We talk every day even if it’s just to text good morning and I love you! I’m pretty sure I’d cringe if he told me all the stuff he has (or is doing) during his “young, dumb, and stupid” days.

Well, sadly, I can't use the "young, dumb, and stupid" days excuse for much longer, since I'm in my mid 30's at this point.

But I do like being able to talk to her and put her at ease when I can.

My love for her is unconditional as well.
    How long have you been using? Have you always struggled with depression? Do you have siblings?
Jump to Top