User Controls

So how many of you suffer with imposter syndrome?

filtration African Astronaut
    This post has been edited by a bot I made to preserve my privacy.
    Ghost Black Hole
    the masked faggot
    I do sometimes to a huge extent, but I think I'm getting over it. It's all about lack of confidence.

Most people who experience it are somewhat uncertain about their knowledge. Sometimes it's justified, sometimes it's not. Like Bertrand Russell said, "The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts."

For sure it's unbelievably, sickeningly common in the professions to find complete bluffers in very high positions. Accounting, Medicine, Economics, IT, all are full of mediocrities acting pompous and cranky so people won't question them and find out what morons they actually are. It's absolutely pathetic.
    filtration African Astronaut
    This post has been edited by a bot I made to preserve my privacy.
    Sophie Pedophile Tech Support
    Sometimes i feel like i have imposter syndrome. I know i know some stuff, in fact i think i know enough to know that i don't know all that much at all. The thing is i tend to specialize in a particular thing, this makes me overall pretty good at that particular thing but some fundamentals in a broader sense i might score a little worse than average. But whatever.
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    Lanny Bird of Courage
    How exactly could anyone diagnose themselves with imposter syndrome? Like it’s characterized by thinking your abilities are less than they actually are. But if you hold that you have impostor syndrome you would seem to hold to the thesis that your actual abilities are different than you think they are. That is you believe your ability is greater than you believe your ability is? How is that supposed to work?
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    Originally posted by Lanny Like it’s characterized by thinking your abilities are less than they actually are.
    Not really. It's when you feel like you aren't the person whose job you are doing - is if you're a cop and feel like you don't have a right to give tickets.

I used to feel it at work, I didn't feel like a serious person who should be doing this, as if I had been mistaken for someone else - what if I made a mistake with taxes or bank transfers or something (I never did btw).
    Lanny Bird of Courage
    Originally posted by Nigger Stole My Bike Not really. It's when you feel like you aren't the person whose job you are doing - is if you're a cop and feel like you don't have a right to give tickets.

I think it requires that that belief is incorrect. Like if I was in a surgical theater with a scalpel I’d feel like I’m not actually a surgeon. That’s not imposter syndrome, it’s an accurate assessment of my surgical ability. It’s only imposter syndrome if I’m actually a competent surgeon
    Zanick motherfucker [my p.a. supernal goa]
    Originally posted by Lanny How exactly could anyone diagnose themselves with imposter syndrome? Like it’s characterized by thinking your abilities are less than they actually are. But if you hold that you have impostor syndrome you would seem to hold to the thesis that your actual abilities are different than you think they are. That is you believe your ability is greater than you believe your ability is? How is that supposed to work?

I think it happens in waves of cognitive dissonance. It's a battle in which I acknowledge the untruth of my belief that I am incapable, and yet am plagued by feelings that I am.
    Firekrochfatty African Astronaut
    @ the profile name: NiggerStoleMyBike
    Sudo Black Hole [my hereto riemannian peach]
    Originally posted by Majestic 12 : The UFO Science Task Force Like Bertrand Russell said, "The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts."

I was literally thinking tonight (as I am now looking at a copy of "brave new world" with a quote by Bertrand Russell on the back) about a quote by Chuck Klosterman about how when he was younger he was sure about everything and issues seemed black and white but as he grew older he found things much more grey and learned to be suspicious of anyone who seemed sure about anything. I was thinking about how context specific issues need to be and broad concepts can't be summed up by one simple policy. Bertrand Russell was a G though I've read so little of him, all I read was half a biography and some articles about him.

The point is: I don't know what imposter syndrome is
    mmQ Lisa Turtle
    That's awesome I was literally gonna say I don't know what it is either but it's sort of obvious and reading the comments seemed to verify that anyway for me

I tend to agree with lanyard and I was gonna explain why but he explained it already and that's why I agree. Imposter syndrome sounds silly goose to me.
    Lanny Bird of Courage
    Originally posted by Sudo I was literally thinking tonight (as I am now looking at a copy of "brave new world" with a quote by Bertrand Russell on the back) about a quote by Chuck Klosterman about how when he was younger he was sure about everything and issues seemed black and white but as he grew older he found things much more grey and learned to be suspicious of anyone who seemed sure about anything. I was thinking about how context specific issues need to be and broad concepts can't be summed up by one simple policy. Bertrand Russell was a G though I've read so little of him, all I read was half a biography and some articles about him.

The point is: I don't know what imposter syndrome is

There's a collection of his essays called "In Praise of Idleness" I'd suggest. They're fun. One of the essays is actually called "In Praise of Idleness" and it's been widely published, you can find it online a bunch of places, but the other essays are good too. I read it on the bus over a couple of weeks. It's nice because you sit down, read one in 20 minutes, and put it away for a while. Reading a novel for 20 minutes a day is harder to get into.
    DontTellEm Black Hole
    Originally posted by mmQ That's awesome I was literally gonna say I don't know what it is either but it's sort of obvious and reading the comments seemed to verify that anyway for me

I tend to agree with lanyard and I was gonna explain why but he explained it already and that's why I agree. Imposter syndrome sounds silly goose to me.

What the Fuck.
    mmQ Lisa Turtle
    Originally posted by DontTellEm What the Fuck.

They just Strut.
    mmQ Lisa Turtle
    Sophie Pedophile Tech Support
    Originally posted by mmQ That's awesome I was literally gonna say I don't know what it is either but it's sort of obvious and reading the comments seemed to verify that anyway for me

I think it can be more pronounced in people that put a lot of weight in how others perceive their knowledge or skills in a particular field of study. For instance, an artist might create a sculpture, people might say: Wow! What a pretty sculpture! And because they like that particular piece of art so much they judge the artist as very talented in general. However the artist might feel that in the case of this particular sculpture he just got lucky to get it just right or that the fact everyone judges him favorably now in general with all manners concerning art while the artist may feel that the praise is wholly undeserved.

In essence it's a issue that looks like a self-esteem issue, but it is specifically related to the person's career or professional skills.
    Originally posted by Lanny How exactly could anyone diagnose themselves with imposter syndrome? Like it’s characterized by thinking your abilities are less than they actually are. But if you hold that you have impostor syndrome you would seem to hold to the thesis that your actual abilities are different than you think they are. That is you believe your ability is greater than you believe your ability is? How is that supposed to work?

people who arent pretentious with themselves could.

at various times in our daily lives we are almost always get put in a position where we have to act and talk and dispense information as if we are the authoritative expert on the subject when we are not, and when we only had a slight idea of what was being asked of us.

giving directions to someone on how to go from point a to point b for example, we may give strangers direction with full confidence, only to ponder upon later whether had we gave them the best and the most efficient mean to get to their destination ...

or had we failed them.
    Originally posted by Lanny "In Praise of Idleness"

i think this was in totses txt file.
    RestStop Space Nigga
    Huh. Didn't know there was a term for this. Yeah I feel like this every time I cave/give in (read: cucked) into having a girlfriend/relationship.
Jump to Top