User Controls

How many y'all niggas be working right now but actually posting on NIS?

gadzooks Dark Matter [keratinize my mild-tasting blossoming]
    Come on, be honest.
    Or is everyone NEET / on welfare? I've noticed a lot here are.

No shame from me, I used to be myself (welfare, that is... never really into the whole parent's basement lifestyle, although I did that for a short bit too).
    itybit African Astronaut [daze my amino pe-tsai]
    "Working"
    Oh, and also, forgive my Western Hemispherean ignorance.

We got some EU niggas and some Aussie niggas and even some African ni... individuals.
    Zanick motherfucker [my p.a. supernal goa]
    I'm not at work, but I ought to be working and instead I'm here.
    Originally posted by Zanick I'm not at work, but I ought to be working and instead I'm here.

Did you call in sick? A-la Ferris Bueller's Day Off? Or just straight up no show?

I've done both before too many times to be quite honest.
    Dregs African Astronaut [that freakishly double-edged allmouth]
    I am aware that there is that thing outside my walls and ceiling called work. *In a Pinhead voice* "I remember" kinda sorta what it is like to work. Its been awhile though. Alcoholism has stolen much of my memory so I can't remember exactly what year I last worked in.
    Originally posted by gadzooks Did you call in sick? A-la Ferris Bueller's Day Off? Or just straight up no show?

I've done both before too many times to be quite honest.

I don't often get sick or not show up. I didn't have to go in today, but I still have work to do from home that I'm avoiding by jumping between here and Lord of the Rings forums instead of focusing.
    Originally posted by Dregs Alcoholism has stolen much of my memory so I can't remember exactly what year I last worked in.

The alcoholism part, I can relate.

But being a high-functioning alcoholic is like living life on God-mode.

To wit: I am currently drinking, but also getting paid.

Good times all around.
    Originally posted by Zanick I don't often get sick or not show up. I didn't have to go in today, but I still have work to do from home that I'm avoiding by jumping between here and Lord of the Rings forums instead of focusing.

It sounds like you have a similar job to mine. I telecommute most days. It can bring on it's own challenges (such as effectively focusing, as you mention).

What line of work are you in?
    Originally posted by gadzooks It sounds like you have a similar job to mine. I telecommute most days. It can bring on it's own challenges (such as effectively focusing, as you mention).

What line of work are you in?

Nah, yours sounds like a better gig. I just work a shitty hourly job and go to school right now. I'm presently dodging calls from my boss and blowing off coursework in order to be here, and I intend to make the situation worse with substance use.
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    Originally posted by Zanick Nah, yours sounds like a better gig. I just work a shitty hourly job and go to school right now. I'm presently dodging calls from my boss and blowing off coursework in order to be here, and I intend to make the situation worse with substance use.

First off, I remember talking to you a few times before on here, and liking you. You seem like my kinda people.

I'd be a hypocrite of the highest order if I tried to tell you you need to reconsider the substance use path, but I will state it as a mere formality.

What are you taking in school?

I was a psych major / philosophy minor... You better believe the job recruiters were breaking down my door.

I loved the subjects and the overall experience, but during my years of occasional, but mostly non-existent, employment in menial jobs here and there, I taught myself computer science / programming and am doing quite alright now.

People often ask me why I didn't just do computer science to begin with.

But part of life is the winding paths it takes you down.
    totse3.com Space Nigga
    Originally posted by gadzooks Or is everyone NEET / on welfare? I've noticed a lot here are.

No shame from me, I used to be myself (welfare, that is… never really into the whole parent's basement lifestyle, although I did that for a short bit too).

Very very interesting and an awesome segue to my point of being here on this site for the Black-List prior to just hanging out because of old school Lolzing with original totse trollzing

I am in my early-mid 50s. I have never- ever been on Welfare nor Foodstamp/EBS in my life. and my broke ass was homeless for 3 years solid.

I have collected my Unemployment for several months during harder times. but only twice in my entire life. Once in my 40s and once in my 20s.

I tried to get Social Security benefits to help out but they said I didn't qualify for such and such year, when I knew I worked those years. (A solid 5 out of 10 years is required of being fully employed before getting either SSI or SSD?).. this is related to the blacklisting.. because oddly it was during a time when I believe Jeff (Who then had suggested to go to a temp service in Walnut Creek called Madsen Personnel which I appreciated him for.. then turned into, I'v helped you in the past. If you don't stop bothering me.. I will make sure you never ever work again" and me replying something like "Oh.. like in Hollywood"

I see things that relate. Sure I shouldn't of been a smart ass to him, but I didn't like his threat. it's a huge fucking conflict of interest and though it may seem funny to say this, it is kind of a form of trade violations. it somehow falls into this. Not specifically "Inside Trading" but "Anti-Trust" law.

Of course I'm just an average Joe.. and Jeff is clearly more powerful than the neighborhood computer nerd-club president.

So I found a paystub for the month of a year the lady at the SS department stated I didn't work that year.

proved her wrong. never heard back about it. didn't go back to trying to collect either form of SocSec
    totse3.com Space Nigga
    Also something to do with who purchased Madsen Personnel
    mmQ Lisa Turtle
    If I poast at work it's either smoke breaks or poo breaks and those aren't that often. Generally I'm just thinking more about work and whatevers going on there. I only have time to throw out a few garbage shitposts anyway.
    I have underlings to do my bidding. I also get paid for my expert knowledge not for what I do.

Work smarter not harder etc.

EDIT: Occasionally I do some actual "work" but that's mainly to show the underlings I'm not opposed to getting my hands "dirty" once in a while.
    Originally posted by gadzooks First off, I remember talking to you a few times before on here, and liking you. You seem like my kinda people.

I'd be a hypocrite of the highest order if I tried to tell you you need to reconsider the substance use path, but I will state it as a mere formality.

What are you taking in school?

I was a psych major / philosophy minor… You better believe the job recruiters were breaking down my door.

I loved the subjects and the overall experience, but during my years of occasional, but mostly non-existent, employment in menial jobs here and there, I taught myself computer science / programming and am doing quite alright now.

People often ask me why I didn't just do computer science to begin with.

But part of life is the winding paths it takes you down.

I think we have a lot in common! I major in your minor and I love it, and I'm planning to go to grad school. I might try to take up programming to fund my degree if I can find the time or the discipline, assuming it's still viable by that time for someone outside the field to get in on merit. Everybody has a different path, and I guess it makes sense for a lot of people to go to school with the expectation of a related career, but I doubt we've ever been that sort of people.
    tee hee hee Naturally Camouflaged [slangily complete this slumberer]
    Also "working" 😋
    DontTellEm Black Hole
    🙄
    Originally posted by Zanick I think we have a lot in common! I major in your minor and I love it, and I'm planning to go to grad school. I might try to take up programming to fund my degree if I can find the time or the discipline, assuming it's still viable by that time for someone outside the field to get in on merit. Everybody has a different path, and I guess it makes sense for a lot of people to go to school with the expectation of a related career, but I doubt we've ever been that sort of people.

Philosophy is an absolute blast. If I ever do end up going back and going to grad school, it will likely be in a philosophy field, probably philosophy of mind.

Or maybe something along the lines of Heidegger's work. I took a class focusing on Heidegger's Being and Time and holy fuck did that course ever fuck me up.

And bruh, if you ever want any advice on how to effectively teach yourself to program, come to me. I learned so much through sheer trial and error.

My first bit of advice that I always give anyone setting out to learn programming themselves, is start with Python. It is as close to executable pseudocode as you can get, and yet it has all the bells and whistles.

That being said, another very useful learning technique is to do the complete opposite (as well as, not instead of, the above), and to play around in assembly / machine language. It really forces you to understand how all the higher-level programming languages (like Python) are ultimately translated into hardware-understandable code.
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
Jump to Top