User Controls

Thoughts on Tolkien's legendarium

Zanick motherfucker [my p.a. supernal goa]
    OG Totse niggas are the Calaquendi, those Eldar who beheld the light of the trees Laurelin and Telperion in the blessed realm. Those of us from Zoklet are the Sindar who didn't quite make it there in the migration, and everybody else is Nandor. DateHoteliers are the Atani, who will one day inherit our horrible project after we've faded from the circles of Arda, but this process has thus far been warded off by Lanny, who holds one of the Three.
    Tolkien's world building is a little old hat honestly. Very Christian.
    The decline of Totse and its eventual closing marks the beginning of the First Age. Zok would have to be Morgoth because he's black (IIRC, Morgoth is a Sindarin name given by Fëanor, literally translating to "Black Foe of the World" so I think it's fitting) and his corruption doomed our kind to fail.
    Originally posted by PhD in Condom Mechanics Tolkien's world building is a little old hat honestly. Very Christian.

The basis for much of his cosmology is Christian while the cultural perspective is often informed by a concept of pre-invasion Anglo-Saxon society and its myths, but it's also very distinct from these elements in a gestalt sense. The divine is physically manifest in Arda, but they have their own separate realm. Generally, the people of Middle-Earth don't practice any religion. Elves who die are reincarnated. So there are many departures to speak of, but the roots of his work are a theological and Anglo-Saxon exploration of language.
    HTS highlight reel
    Tolkien is for uber nerds of such a magnificent caliber that they are beyond reproach.
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    Way too many of my thoughts and feelings are relayed through concepts I encounter in Tolkien. At this point, my shrink expects me to bring him up whenever I convey something emotionally significant. It's the nerdiest thing about me. There are worse habits, I guess.
    Originally posted by Zanick The basis for much of his cosmology is Christian while the cultural perspective is often informed by a concept of pre-invasion Anglo-Saxon society and its myths, but it's also very distinct from these elements in a gestalt sense.

You have to think "Christian" in a broader sense. I'm talking about "Christian" literature as well. Christian literature itself is rooted in some very old mythology too.

The divine is physically manifest in Arda, but they have their own separate realm. Generally, the people of Middle-Earth don't practice any religion. Elves who die are reincarnated.

Do u even Greek.
    Do you mean to suggest that his books have become famous because he's a standard-issue Christian with a habit of verbosity? I'm not denying that Tolkien draws heavily from Christianity in structure, but I do mean to assert that there are contrasting themes present throughout his work that make it more nuanced in concept when compared to others working from a similar perspective. He had an oddly specific project in mind in his undertaking.
    No I'm just saying that Tolkien is wrongly remembered as the father of modern fantasy in an original capacity, when the LOTR worldbuilding was a synthesis of many tropes from christian literature.
    I don't disagree, but I think you're missing the core aspect of his work. Christianity is a defining feature of his cosmology and narrative and he draws from existing framework to this end, but it's more complicated than labelling his ideas original or synthetic because the real engine behind what he wrote was linguistic theory. The seams of his universe are found where concepts meet language and this is what sets it apart from most fantasy. It's unusual for an academic in his discipline to apply this kind of effort to writing fiction, and this is very likely the reason his work possesses the timeless, arcane reputation it's developed. His ideas are a synthesis of existing mythology, but it's the linguistic approach to worldbuilding that makes him unique, more so than his religion.
    Sophie Pedophile Tech Support
    We'll file away Sanctuary under the first kin slaying. It seems appropriate.

Also, if "The Three" refers to the Silmarils and Lanny has one does that make him Eärendil?
    Originally posted by Sophie We'll file away Sanctuary under the first kin slaying. It seems appropriate.

Also, if "The Three" refers to the Silmarils and Lanny has one does that make him Eärendil?

Nah nigga, I mean it's one of the three elven rings of power because they confer their wielder some ability to stave off the inevitable doom of their people. In this regard, he's more like Galadriel: a sexy OG, to be sure, but also a redistributionist and a self-modeled steward of a community made up of people who aren't gifted with his enterprise. Galadriel is one of my favorite characters in the whole of the legendarium, damn what a babe.
    Sophie Pedophile Tech Support
    Originally posted by Zanick Nah nigga, I mean it's one of the three elven rings of power because they confer their wielder some ability to stave off the inevitable doom of their people. In this regard, he's more like Galadriel: a sexy OG, to be sure, but also a redistributionist and a self-modeled steward of a community made up of people who aren't gifted with his enterprise. Galadriel is one of my favorite characters in the whole of the legendarium, damn what a babe.

God damn it. I wanted to say Galadriel, then i figured, nah he is talking about the first age. Galadriel was around then but there's a good stretch of time between the rings of power and the events of the first age. Isn't there?
    Can you re-craft this but instead base it on the Twilight series?
    my body still clings to life only my spirits dead inside i pray for death everynight but i keep waking up alive
    Originally posted by OG_GREENPLASTIC_JOHNSON_III my body still clings to life only my spirits dead inside i pray for death everynight but i keep waking up alive

Who said that Bella or Edward?
    Originally posted by Sophie God damn it. I wanted to say Galadriel, then i figured, nah he is talking about the first age. Galadriel was around then but there's a good stretch of time between the rings of power and the events of the first age. Isn't there?

Galadriel is one of the older elves in Middle-Earth, having been born in Valinor. She was active in the First Age in a sort of political capacity; her mother was Thingol's niece and therefore she was permitted to live in Doriath for a time, where she befriended the king and Melian his wife and informed them with a scrubbed-down version of the Noldor's intentions in Beleriand. She probably learned some 'magic' there, also, which might suggest an origin for the workings of her mirror seen later on in the Third Age. The Rings of Power were forged between 1200 and 1600 in the Second Age, so her peace lasted about half an age after the First before Fëanor's grandson was trying to fuck.
    If DH posters are the Atani, Lala must be Haleth, the lady of the Haladin who became the chieftain of her people and led them through Beleriand to the safe forest of Brethil in Thingol's realm. She was beloved and steadfast and refused to bow to an elven lord.
    Atari Vs 2 Morgoths who wins?
    The combined forces of the Atani and the Eldar were no match for ONE Morgoth, who essentially waged a successful genocide against them all in just 500 years compared to Sauron who couldn't subjugate the then weakened free peoples in six thousand. Two Morgoths at the height of their power would have outmatched even the gods in their holy land and brought the world to heel. It would have required the direct intervention of Eru for them to have any hope whatsoever.
Jump to Top