User Controls

Sam Harris on the Illusion of Free Will

Obbe Alan What? [annoy my right-angled speediness]

HTS highlight reel
    PLEASE NO

NOT THIS AGAIN

The nigh inevitability of this thread devolving into a protracted philosophical circlejerk is probably the strongest argument in favor of determinism.
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    Originally posted by Obbe

This video is perfect: you can see in his own analogy Sam has completely missed Dan's argument and point.

Imagine we're talking about a mythical city called Rinconda from a Peruvian book. Lets say Rinconda is described as being identical to the city of La Rinconda in Peru, except Rinconda is described as being "a city that sits on clouds" (whereas La Rinconda sits on a mountainside).

Lets imagine that LR is actually an awesome city, and R is described as being really cool in a book. Our friend comes into the room and says "I just read a book about the city of R and it sounds awesome: I want to go there".

Sam is saying "R doesn't exist. There is no city that sits on clouds because a city cannot sit on clouds. It's an incoherent concept because we would either have to violate our idea of what a cloud is or what a city is in physical terms, in contradiction with reality, for this to be tenable. Rinconda doesn't exist."

Dan is saying "No, there is no city that sits on clouds. But La Rinconda does exist, and it's exactly like Rinconda, except it doesn't sit on clouds. All those awesome things are still there, except it sits on a mountain and it gets snow. So the fluffy white view, the elevation, you can still see all that. It doesn't float on a cloud, but for all intents and purposes, Rinconda is real and we can go there, and do everything we're interested in doing in Rinconda."

We already agree there is no city on the clouds. But it is clearly useful to say "let's say the clouds are the mountain; we can visit Rinconda".
    Originally posted by PhD in Condom Mechanics We already agree there is no city on the clouds. But it is clearly useful to say "let's say the clouds are the mountain; we can visit Rinconda".

What is the specific usefulness of saying that if we already agree there is no city in the clouds?

It would be more authentic to say clouds and mountains are not the same things, and that we could visit the actual city of La Rincoda on the mountain in Peru.

Originally posted by Obbe What is the specific usefulness of saying that if we already agree there is no city in the clouds?

Everything else!

It would be more authentic to say clouds and mountains are not the same things, and that we could visit the actual city of La Rincoda on the mountain in Peru.

Because authenticity is irrelevant: imagine now that the book's city is also called La Riconda. Now, can you say La Riconda doesn't exist, or that La Riconda exists, but it doesn't float on clouds?

The argument of whether or not we can call it Riconda comes down to whether or not he cares about floating on clouds as a precondition for identifying LR with R. The word "La" is a deliberate red herring I left in to illustrate exactly this.

Interesting. What do you think about this video?
    Originally posted by PhD in Condom Mechanics Everything else!

So what do you mean by this in relation to free will?

Originally posted by PhD in Condom Mechanics Because authenticity is irrelevant: imagine now that the book's city is also called La Riconda. Now, can you say La Riconda doesn't exist, or that La Riconda exists, but it doesn't float on clouds?

The argument of whether or not we can call it Riconda comes down to whether or not he cares about floating on clouds as a precondition for identifying LR with R. The word "La" is a deliberate red herring I left in to illustrate exactly this.

I don't know what Harris or Dennett would think about your metaphor. Free will is what I call the sensation of being in control of my thoughts and actions and intentions and the idea that I could have done something differently than I did if I could turn back time. If we agree that sensation does not reflect reality, that our thoughts and actions and intentions are caused by a variety of factors we have no influence over and that we could not have done differently than we did in the past, then I do not know what you mean by "everything else" in relation to free will.

Originally posted by PhD in Condom Mechanics Interesting. What do you think about this video?

I thought it was great to listen to them talk with each other about the differences in their arguments. After watching it I still agree with Harris.
    Once you realize you're watching a tape recorder and there's nothing you can do about it, you can fight it and be miserable or watch it and enjoy the show.
    Originally posted by PhD in Condom Mechanics Rinconda is real and we can go there, and do everything we're interested in doing in Rinconda."

are sam and dan homosexuals ? why would they want to go to ricinda together ?
    Lanny Bird of Courage
    Originally posted by HTS PLEASE NO

NOT THIS AGAIN

The nigh inevitability of this thread devolving into a protracted philosophical circlejerk is probably the strongest argument in favor of determinism.

While I can not will what I will vis a vis protracted philosophical circlejerks, I still freely choose to circlejerk philosophically.
    HTS highlight reel
    Originally posted by Lanny While I can not will what I will vis a vis protracted philosophical circlejerks, I still freely choose to circlejerk philosophically.

Do you though? If you're free to choose to, that would mean you have the choice to do something else instead also. So why not do that? Which is to say, literally anything else. T_T
    GGG victim of incest [my veinlike two-fold aepyornidae]
    Originally posted by HTS Do you though? If you're free to choose to, that would mean you have the choice to do something else instead also. So why not do that? Which is to say, literally anything else. T_T

I wanna do it

U wamma cuz free willp maek u

No i wanna cuz i wanna

No feee will maeek u
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    Originally posted by Lanny I still freely choose to circlejerk philosophically.

no you're not,

your like that faggot moth that couldnt resist kneading yourself needingly into the center of every homoerotic philosophical flame that dances homoerotically on every homoerotic lamp post.
    Originally posted by Obbe So what do you mean by this in relation to free will?

The term free will brings a range of ideas that are related to agency AKA what makes you qualify as a morally competent agent. This is the meat of the idea. Literally everything about the idea is about its relationship to agency. In one conception, it also carries (as a naive assumption) that the ultimate root of your agency is informed by some sneaky spoopmin like a soul. We both agree that's not real, so lets throw it away. But instead we can give a very reasonable material bound (rather than a "soul") to define the fringes of your responsibility for your actions and keep everything else.

The only justification you have ever given to this is that "the common conception" of free will involves the spoopy idea, so we can't call anything without that free will. Which is frankly total horseshit; if you ask almost anyone whether or not your genetics and your upbringing have an impact on the way you behave as an adult, they'll say yes. I would bet money that the answer wouldn't be no. In fact, by merely proposing that one participate in the act of choice (lets say with two options), you are proposing a constraint down to two degrees of freedom.

It's obvious that the idea of an immortal soul or whatever as an ultimate intentional causer is still present in a lot of people's minds, but it's just an explanatory bridge that exists in addition to [genes+environment], probably as a vestige from religion because the mechanics of our decision making are very complicated and mostly opaque to us through introspection.

Free will is what I call the sensation of being in control of my thoughts and actions and intentions

Ok, we're good so far. We can fully give you this without any contradiction with determinism.

and the idea that I could have done something differently than I did if I could turn back time.

Why? What about your conception of freedom is contingent on this?

Lets imagine you and I went for lunch to a place that offers a side of fries or coleslaw with each meal, and lets assume that you vastly prefer fries.

If I rewound that occasion exactly as it was a billion times, you would choose fries again a billion times. Why wouldn't you? Of course; you like fries better than slaw!

More importantly, I could also take you to the same restaurant many times over the course of many years and presumably, even despite the conditions not being precisely the same every time, you would still pick fries. Each time I can make this prediction based on the fact that you prefer fries, and it's not a coin flip each time, if you want fries then you get fries. I know you control your order because that's why it's fries every time. And if you order something that would obviously be worse with fries than with slaw due to your preference for fries and then don't like the combo, I can rightly blame you for your decision because of your predisposition, rather than in spite of it.

Additionally, if I take someone who prefers slaw into the same restaurant, he might choose slaw. And he might choose slaw every time with the same predictive accuracy, and the same range of variables surrounding the decision (same restaurant, sufficiently randomized and controlled environment between both people).

Nobody would argue that you don't have a predisposition to make certain choices, in fact it's integral to your identity. You want to require some additional "essence" to tack on to take responsibility, when it's just a stupid concern that isn't even relevant to the meat of the concept. There are degrees of responsibility as there are degrees of freedom, and responsibility is an extremely useful semantic tool that gives us large syntactic efficiency at dealing with situations involving agents that exercise agency. For example, we can use it to enable the "intentional stance", which is a highly important "hack" that is integral to our lives and causally consequential to our world in a real way and has no substitute. The best demonstration of this is Dennett's two black boxes thought experiment:

http://cogprints.org/247/1/twoblack.htm

The tl;dr version is; there is surely some syntactical (mechanical) explanation that could principally be found to explain the causal regularity between the two boxes, but it is no substitute for the utility of the semantic explanation involving true and false, which has no easy, clean unifying syntactical basis or explanation. In this case, the view of LaPlace's Demon would actually lose to the view of a human in terms of syntactical efficiency; you could either hand simulate the physical path of each different string with each system state to determine if it will activate any given light, or just write a true, false or indeterminable statement and would be massively more useful for predicting which light turns on, and even for determining when the check will fail by seeing whether the two boxes share the same semantic concept, even if they share no syntactical similarities at all.

This type of semantic property has real causal relevance to our world; for example, a traffic light is massively important to the functioning of our society purely through semantic representation.

If we agree that sensation does not reflect reality, that our thoughts and actions and intentions are caused by a variety of factors we have no influence over and that we could not have done differently than we did in the past, then I do not know what you mean by "everything else" in relation to free will.

I don't know why it's so hard for you to just use the "and" operator and model freeness of will on a spectrum. No you don't ultimately control anything. Nothing ultimately controls anything, it's just causes and effects backwards and forwards into infinity. That's just a stupid definition of control and is just vacuous pedantry; we can call it "Buntimuntimer" instead if you'd like, but it's just an unnecessary restart from 0 where we have to reconstruct the exact same concepts but with a different word because you don't like that it has one particular bad connotation.

Let me give you an actual science example; back in the 18th and 19th century, there was a movement called Vitalism that seeked to establish that life required a special "elan vital", a substance of life, that breathed the fire the fire of biology into otherwise lifeless physical processes. Well guess what; elan vital doesn't exist, and all the sufficient conditions for life can be met through what are fundamentally just physical interactions.

The autistic way to process this would be "life isn't real; there is no substance called life and life is an illusion". The sensible way to deal with it, and which is how we collectively did deal with it, was to say "life is real, but it isn't what we thought it was."

We very easily abandoned the soul without abandoning life at all; life is simply the phenomenon and our understanding of its explanation has changed. That's the same case as our free will; we freedom of will for reasons that have nothing to do with a magical element, just like we have life and it has nothing to do with a magical substance. We can just as easily abandon the soul without abandoning free will at all.

If you can just admit that you might not ultimately control anything but you can still control some things more than others, you open up a field of useful efficiency, just like we can make very useful determinations by saying "life is a thing, some things are more alive than other, and there are boundary conditions where something counts as not being alive any more", even though there is no defined point where a soul escapes you and you "become dead" or the fire enters you and you "become alive". Whether or not I put you in the hospital or in the cemetery from a given point onwards relies on this call, despite the lack of "life juice".
    Lanny Bird of Courage
    Originally posted by HTS Do you though? If you're free to choose to, that would mean you have the choice to do something else instead also. So why not do that? Which is to say, literally anything else. T_T

I'm free to act according to my will on the topic of philosophical circlejerks. If it was my will to not engage in circle jerking, then that's what I'd do, I'm free to act according to what I want. What I actually choose to do about jerking circularly is a consequence of my preferences and whether I'm free to act on them, both of which are physically determined (inb5 michio kaku), sure. But if your idea of choice requires being able to violate the laws of physics then you have a pretty stupid idea of choice that has no real relation to how we use the word "choice" in conversation.
    Actual footage of sploo IRL:

Unnecessary potshot. But I just had to drop it.
Jump to Top