User Controls

Ketamine for treatment

TiGuRsTaYnK Yung Blood
    Dr Oz says "I don't want to oversale this.. but so much promise"

stage 2 for Zombiefied America

But I'm kind of down for trying a hallucinogen for the first time in my adult life. life is losing meaning .. every morning. I want to feel young. does it make you horny?
    Technologist victim of incest
    I’m pretty sure it’s an animal anesthesia. I heard it makes you zoned out.
    Wouldn’t know tho, not into a lot of these newer drugs. At least it’s newer to me, although I know it’s been around for a bit.
    CASPER Soldier of Fourchin
    Yeah I've read a bunch of stuff about it being super promising for depression. Picked up a vial for that express purpose but then read it has some thyroid effects.
    Casper,
    I thought it was an animal anesthetic? You must be talking in small doses if it’s for depression?
    CASPER Soldier of Fourchin
    It's a dissociative. Irish what the doses are, but they were talking IV. But it's more about changing your thought patterns and (literally) getting perspective outside yourself, so I can see why it's work.

Alas I'm at work and too lazy to google.
    https://www.webmd.com/depression/features/what-does-ketamine-do-your-brain

Just found this, but it is an anesthetic.
    Ghost Black Hole
    I snorted ketamine once and bounced off the walls like a pinball

https://www.vice.com/en_ca/article/ppzgk9/interview-with-ketamine-chemist-704-v18n2
    Ghost you are a pinball.😜
    Ghost Black Hole
    I'll pin your tongue down with my balls
    ⚽️👅⚽️
    gadzooks Dark Matter [keratinize my mild-tasting blossoming]
    Originally posted by TiGuRsTaYnK But I'm kind of down for trying a hallucinogen for the first time in my adult life. life is losing meaning .. every morning. I want to feel young. does it make you horny?

I highly recommend trying psilocybin (magic mushrooms) for a first-time hallucinogen. One caveat though is that any hallucinogen has the potential to be an overwhelming experience. Start with a very low dose (like under one gram) to get a feel for it. Ideally, have an experienced trip-sitter nearby, but that isn't always feasible. Just proceed with caution, start small, and do whatever you can to ensure that you are in a positive state of mind.

Ketamine isn't really a hallucinogen (although it depends on how loosely you define the term 'hallucinogen'). It's technically considered a dissociative. However, it, too, can be quite overwhelming if you're unprepared for it's effects, and if you take too much.

Personally, I find ketamine to be an interesting experience, but I tend to prefer very low doses, and using it very sparingly. Some people like the intensity of a "k-hole", but it's definitely not for everybody.

If I had to describe ketamine's effects in somewhat familiar terms, I would say it's kinda like being really drunk. But that's a gross oversimplification, and I draw the comparison merely to give a very general, yet vague, idea of what ketamine's effects are like. And that is at a low dose. I personally have never gone for a higher dose because it just doesn't appeal to me.
    Lanny Bird of Courage
    I've always subscribed to the "dive in" philosophy of psychedelics. Mushrooms and LSD are both really safe so the dosage question comes down to "what's the best experience?" more than anything else. Low doses of psychedelics are more uncomfortable than anything, I think it's best to take a strong dose the first time. If you try to work your way up from lower doses the psychology is like 'oh, is it OK to go this far? Am I comfortable with this?' and the point isn't about being comfortable, being comfortable is probably a bad thing on the whole. Just jump in, be uncomfortable and experience something crazy and intense, that's the point.
    Psychotropic drugs can really exacerbate problems like schizophrenia, and I have heard can even produce long term damage in susceptible patients.

In schizophrenia patients, ketamine provokes psychotic symptoms at doses that have minimal effects on healthy individuals
    http://stm.sciencemag.org/content/8/353/353ec134

As for treatment, I have tried mushrooms and LSD before for depression, they make no long term difference although I feel great for a short while after they wear off. Never tried ketamine.
    gadzooks Dark Matter [keratinize my mild-tasting blossoming]
    Originally posted by Lanny I've always subscribed to the "dive in" philosophy of psychedelics. Mushrooms and LSD are both really safe so the dosage question comes down to "what's the best experience?" more than anything else. Low doses of psychedelics are more uncomfortable than anything, I think it's best to take a strong dose the first time. If you try to work your way up from lower doses the psychology is like 'oh, is it OK to go this far? Am I comfortable with this?' and the point isn't about being comfortable, being comfortable is probably a bad thing on the whole. Just jump in, be uncomfortable and experience something crazy and intense, that's the point.

True, the intensity of a strong psychedelic trip can be a life-changing experience, even if it's not a pleasant trip. And a case can be made for the character-building benefit of a bad trip. But if somebody is completely inexperienced with psychedelics, a heroic dose can be almost traumatizing.

Having said that, I never really started experimenting with threshold / microdosing until after I did the whole strong trip thing many times over. So perhaps my advice was a bit too cautious.

To the thread starter, maybe microdosing is unnecessary, but I do stand by my recommendation to at least be prepared for something that can be quite intense, and even though you don't want to go in with a negative mindset that things might go horribly awry, just keep in mind that if it ends up being a bit overwhelming, it's only temporary.
Jump to Top