User Controls

If something is guaranteed, does it require faith?

mmQ Lisa Turtle
    Like for example, I wouldn't say that I have faith that my toilet will still be in my bathroom when I go there. I guess that could be a fair statement, but it wouldn't be necessary. I don't go around thinking about having faith in things that I already assume to be true. 'Oh I have faith that my job will still be there for me when I get there' or 'I have faith that the road won't cave into a giant sinkhole when I go outside.'

Does this make any sense?
    Maybe if you've continuously had extremely, extremely, astronomically bad luck throughout your life, then that stuff would require faith.

K, I get what you're saying, but yeah I dunno. Semantics.
    mmQ Lisa Turtle
    I don't know either, that's why I'm asking.
    K here's some answers by fellow niggas:

Open Your Mind: *wall of text that just leaves you with more questions than answers*
    bling bling: *unintelligible babble*
    -SpectraL: *something to do with a passing comment one of the above two users made about the forum, resulting in a rant against zok and darkhunter*
    Bill Krozby: *talks about how he's a faggot*
    Sophie Pedophile Tech Support
    Faith is a state of trust. You do not need to trust in things you know to be true. But you can have faith your brain has judged the things you believe to be true, correctly.
    I guess it would be nice if I could hold your body for five whole week days
    bling bling Dark Matter
    whu gived a fukc everthing is one
    Obbe Alan What? [annoy my right-angled speediness]
    Does this make sense:

Malice Naturally Camouflaged
    No, you don't have faith, you have a rational expectation based on the (scientifically) verifiable information you possess. If you were to find your toilet had disappeared you likely wouldn't shit into thin air on the presumption that God was testing you.
    I would almost say that the basis of understanding faith is understanding the fact that you basically have "faith" regarding your toilet or your job you just dont think of it as faith.
    bling bling Dark Matter
    science is religion
    "Faith means.. uh one sec imma hit that ima just be right back" - John Locke.
    "Faith means.. uh one sec imma hit that ima just be right back" - John Locke.

I thought that was Nichez?
    mmQ Lisa Turtle
    I guess my thoughts (and this has been somewhat addressed) were thinking about those who believe in God and will say in the same breath that they KNOW GOD IS REAL and also that they have a VERY STRONG FAITH. I just feel like faith means 'pretty much knowing but not with absolute certainty.' I don't like people who claim to be absolutely certain about things like that. Well, it's not that I don't like them, I just don't like those type of claims. Faith is one thing, believing is one thing, and knowing is a different thing. I cannot take a person seriously who tells me that they KNOW their deity of choice is real. As soon as person who believes in God A says that as well as the person that believes in God B, well... you see the problem.
    kroz weak whyte, frothy cuck, and former twink
    I see what you are getting at. but as a pragmatically minded non-christian who believes the Christian rhetoric wholeheartedly I can only say that faith is what you take as true even though there is a 99.999...-0.00...1% chance you are wrong. Perhaps the figures are distorted but realistically isnt faith, as all the great chrismas movies say, believing in that which you cannot directly observe?
Jump to Top