User Controls

The state of gaming development and technology

PrettyHateMachine African Astronaut
    Since the release of the original crisis game released gaming development and advances in the technology have slowed down or come to a halt.

I have a few guesses as to why this could be.
    Such as they're holding it back for when everything is streaming then they'll use their supercomputers to process the games providing a huge leap in the technology of games such as physics and worlds that are as realistic as the flesh net.
    Physical home-sized devices capable of rendering something like that may not be possible.

Anyways the last time a game wowed me with the graphics was playing ... I can't remember but I do know that it was more like a meh than an all out holy fuck like playing the ps2 for the first time.
    The last time I found a game technically impressive was shenmue 2 or Kotor.
    From.the 6th gen onwards gaming has gone to shit.
    GTA IV was the beginning of my disappointment and things stayed that way.
    I had lost all hope that anything would change but hey it was only 30 years ago people were playing games with 2d sprite graphics and now independent developers can create something on par with 6th gen levels of production.
    The people releasing their own games for steam right now could go on to resurrect the old industry and feeling and take off from there.
    I have lost all hope for the industry of today, seriously going through GameSpot and ign is pretty depressing everything looks like a crappy straight to DVD animation film from the 00s with forced marxism.
    There are only two or three games that resemble something you would think of as a gamer's game the rest are on par with smartphone app store trash aesthetically.
    gaming industry is run by jedis.
    Ghost Black Hole
    The new Spiderman looks amazing
    Rizzo in a box African Astronaut [the rapidly lightproof ovariectomy]
    if all you care about is graphics you should maybe kill yourself. honestly do you play shit like GTA and think "wow this is really what playing video games is all about"

there are so many fucking great games that the only way you would bitch about the industry not moving forward is the fact that you keep paying these dumb fucking multibillion companies instead of sending amphetamine directly to your favorite indie developer

there have be so many iterations and rethinkings of every game in every genre in everyway in so many different ways its like what the fuck are you doing sitting there with your xbox controller up your asshole, you wouldn't know a good game if it raped you
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    Obbe Alan What? [annoy my right-angled speediness]
    I just got back into Minecraft since the aquatic update came out and an old anarchy server I used to play on reset. It's pretty fun. I was killed 3 times just trying to get away from spawn during my first week back on the server. Eventually I got far enough out (I think) and have gone underground. Starting to get a good base going now.
    Originally posted by Obbe I just got back into Minecraft since the aquatic update came out and an old anarchy server I used to play on reset. It's pretty fun. I was killed 3 times just trying to get away from spawn during my first week back on the server. Eventually I got far enough out (I think) and have gone underground. Starting to get a good base going now.

wow minecraft has mutilplayer servers
    Obbe Alan What? [annoy my right-angled speediness]
    Originally posted by Rizzo in a box wow minecraft has mutilplayer servers

Yep. This server limits the map to 40k, nobody trusts anyone because everyone is looking to rob and murder, basically forcing everyone to hide underground and build hidden vaults for their treasures.
    Originally posted by Obbe Yep. This server limits the map to 40k, nobody trusts anyone because everyone is looking to rob and murder, basically forcing everyone to hide underground and build hidden vaults for their treasures.

whoa no way that's some hi tech shit
    Originally posted by Rizzo in a box if all you care about is graphics you should maybe kill yourself. honestly do you play shit like GTA and think "wow this is really what playing video games is all about"

there are so many fucking great games that the only way you would bitch about the industry not moving forward is the fact that you keep paying these dumb fucking multibillion companies instead of sending amphetamine directly to your favorite indie developer

there have be so many iterations and rethinkings of every game in every genre in everyway in so many different ways its like what the fuck are you doing sitting there with your xbox controller up your asshole, you wouldn't know a good game if it raped you

hey retard this thread was about the decline of innovation and technological advancement in games.
    Take GTA for example, IV and V are nothing new from GTA 3 or San Andreas, a real generational leap should include advancements in the technology and the way you interact with the game.
    My beef with the gaming industry is with how stagnant and soulless it has become.
    Maybe you're too young to remember this, or you weren't into gaming at the time, but the 6th generation was the apex and golden age for gaming ... it was a time when with every new release the developers went out of their way to reinvent the wheel and expand what could be done with video games.
    All of that innovation and soul withered away around 2008 and has been the same ever since.
    HTS highlight reel
    Originally posted by PrettyHateMachine My beef with the gaming industry is with how stagnant and soulless it has become.

The gaming industry is far from stagnant. But I don't mean that in a good way. There have been a bunch of innovations in business models (DLC seasons passes, a huge shift in focus towards preorders, microtransactions). Game design has also evolved... or maybe devolved... and it's happened pretty rapidly. Games have become far more "user friendly", to cater to broader demographics.

Take Pillars of Eternity for example - it went from being a relatively complex and intersting CRPG to a more user-friendly narrative experience in its sequel Deadfire... and in my opinion it suffered for it. But that isn't by any definition what we could call stagnation, and it's not a regression either because games used to be obtuse and unintuitive as a matter of course.

Let's be real: it's not that the games industry is stagnant, it's that you don't like the direction gaming is going. Me too, I guess. But about the only way in which gaming has stagnated is the creation of new IPs and the prevalence of infinite sequels and reboots. But even that's not really accurate.

Or were you just shilling for more VR integration?
    Bueno motherfucker
    "indie" devs of today are trash
    There are no games out worth playing
    Maybe there are some games coming out of Japan that have some interesting qualities that are worth enough to play the game but the sad reality.is that gaming today is dead
    Dead like Marco corbelli dead
    There is no reason to even pick up a controller anymore
    Originally posted by PrettyHateMachine "indie" devs of today are trash
    There are no games out worth playing
    Maybe there are some games coming out of Japan that have some interesting qualities that are worth enough to play the game but the sad reality.is that gaming today is dead
    Dead like Marco corbelli dead
    There is no reason to even pick up a controller anymore

you are like assholes that complain about music being shitty because they radio plays nothing but the same stale tunes. there's tons of great stuff you just have to find it instead of being force fed it
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    seriously what fucking genre are you into and I will name you a dope as fuck indie game that I'm sure flew under your radar because you were too busy complaining about EA
    Originally posted by Rizzo in a box seriously what fucking genre are you into and I will name you a dope as fuck indie game that I'm sure flew under your radar because you were too busy complaining about EA

manhunt & manhunt 2.
    Grimace motherfucker [my enumerable hindi guideword]
    I try to play games from time to time, and occasionally I am able to find one that holds my interest long enough to want to complete it. Graphics are not a deciding factor for me. If the game is fun, fuck what it looks like. Granted, the games that I DO play, are considered "good graphics" games. I mostly play older shit though. My most recent game that I am still playing is SKYRIM. I have recently started a mission to collect all the old consoles I used to own but got rid of over the years. I also like RetroPie on my RaspberryPi 3 to play all the old classics. I just finished the original Shadowgate for NES. Fucking great game.

Fuck graphics. If it's fun, I'll play.
    Originally posted by Rizzo in a box you are like assholes that complain about music being shitty because they radio plays nothing but the same stale tunes. there's tons of great stuff you just have to find it instead of being force fed it

You're projecting your own ignorance onto me with such assumptions.
    I have been on steam since 2009, I saw the first "indies" hit xbl.
    It's all trash.
    Besides this isn't what I'm talking about, Disaster Report wasn't a AAA mega production, yet it is one of the greatest games ever made.
    You have no idea what I'm getting at, it's like yiure telling me I just want Hollywood trash because I wouldn't want to watch an indie movie made on someone's phone uploaded to vimeo.
    Ghost Black Hole
    All the games I play are community made, fan hacks or passion projects.

You're complaining about the gaming industry which has been dead for years. The hobby of gaming is thriving through.

The most popular game to stream right now isn't fortnite, it's Super Mario 64 hacks.

Fuck new games just speedrun all the old good ones
    Originally posted by Ghost All the games I play are community made, fan hacks or passion projects.

You're complaining about the gaming industry which has been dead for years. The hobby of gaming is thriving through.

The most popular game to stream right now isn't fortnite, it's Super Mario 64 hacks.

Fuck new games just speedrun all the old good ones

>speedrun

it's shit like that that has killed gaming

Gimme a dark theater room with some amazing speakers, a huge projection screen, some marijuana, a comfy couch and blanket with pillows and I'll savor every single second of that game
    ^ the only way to play
    They don't make games like they used to

PS2 era (6th gen) had the greatest graphics and art style.
    It was the perfect balance of 3D graphics, but primitive enough that the artists were more creative and artistic with the gameplay styles.
    As 3D got more detailed and advanced it's like they stopped making games look as interesting and "gamey", now they're just boring 3D CG movies.
Jump to Top