User Controls

using shitty mobile games to launder money

Rizzo in a box African Astronaut [the rapidly lightproof ovariectomy]
    Idk if I should put this in bad ideas, the tech forum, or what but here we are. there's been some talk of this, but not very much and a lot of it is theory. not many concrete cases. that could just be evidence that this is a great idea but let's talk about it, guys. this is why we're here, after all.

anyway, mobile games and the way they make most of their money off of "whales" through completely useless nonsense digital goods seems like the most pristine place to try to launder money. of course you run into some problems if you're trying to cover your tracks, especially if you're paying taxes. these are not insurmountable problems, especially if the loss you're seeing on washing your money is negligible.

it seems like this should be a big thing, and I'd like to think the existence of so many shitty clone games is because some mobster asshole is getting his pay day. game developers are a bunch of pussy nerds so maybe this vector hasn't really been explored.
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    mmQ Lisa Turtle
    Makes sense I guess, I just always thought dirty money was basically cash money so you have to launder it in cash, which wouldn't work through cell phone apps.

I'm also legally retarded and have no idea.
    RisiR † 29 Autism
    I sell you something illegal and instead of paying for it in cash you buy 6 million gold in my Money Laundry mobile game.
    Basically, laundering money is a margins game and it has to be within reason. Laundering a whole bunch in a short period of time will get you instantly flagged.

You can flow a decent amount of cash through a small, potentially online business, then you can up the amount of money you push through your front, and the rate at which you grow your profit margins, as your business "grows" in size and value over time.

You have to be patient if you don't want to get caught.
    Originally posted by RisiR † I sell you something illegal and instead of paying for it in cash you buy 6 million gold in my Money Laundry mobile game.

yeah that's basically the idea. or you make a lot of money from an illegal source and you need to make it seem legitimate. there are certain technical limitations you need to bypass (I hope you aren't doing this all from one computer using the same IP without any VPN or any of that) in order to make sure that every customer seems realish. The great thing is there's no real limit to the amount of money you can pump into this shit. Fuck, if you have enough money flowing through you could even afford to hire a decent studio to actually make a good game. It's not like you're worried about the profits, like an EA, so you can let the developers take their time and make something great. Well, as great as a mobile game can get.

idk I feel like this is going to remain very underutilized but man if I ever have the chance to make this a reality you know im hopping on it
    Originally posted by DietPiano Basically, laundering money is a margins game and it has to be within reason. Laundering a whole bunch in a short period of time will get you instantly flagged.

You can flow a decent amount of cash through a small, potentially online business, then you can up the amount of money you push through your front, and the rate at which you grow your profit margins, as your business "grows" in size and value over time.

You have to be patient if you don't want to get caught.

welp yeah, if you have a hundred millions dollars going through some no-name bullshit game someone has never heard of, you will get fucked faster than you can imagine. large criminal organizations have much better options. but for the man of the times, throwing ten thousand dollars through an online game isn't unreasonable. even if you do it several times in a month. that's not high level crime but its nothing to fucking sneeze and silly to dismiss imo
    Ensign Galm African Astronaut [specifically erupt this tetrachloromethane]
    This would be so easily traceable that your laundering problem would seem minute by comparison. Customers probably wouldn't go for this as their crimes would be linked to their goddamned google play account.

Unless you made it not on some app store, but then your taxes would look VERY suspicious. I feel like filing whatever tax form google sends is a lot less sketchy than your self reported income. They'd for sure wonder how you were doing so good without being on a platform.

I've always thought eBay would work nice. You can'send expensive jedielry' and even buy insurance and shipping stuff so it looks legit. Still the problem of being connected to ebay, but I think its a more realistic lie. Whales are usually only on those big boy apps like clash of clans and shit. You'd have to get pretty big as an app to launder money efficiently and without being obvious. Can't have just a few whales and not much else you know.
    Originally posted by Ensign §m£ÂgØL This would be so easily traceable that your laundering problem would seem minute by comparison. Customers probably wouldn't go for this as their crimes would be linked to their goddamned google play account.

Unless you made it not on some app store, but then your taxes would look VERY suspicious. I feel like filing whatever tax form google sends is a lot less sketchy than your self reported income. They'd for sure wonder how you were doing so good without being on a platform.

I've always thought eBay would work nice. You can'send expensive jedielry' and even buy insurance and shipping stuff so it looks legit. Still the problem of being connected to ebay, but I think its a more realistic lie. Whales are usually only on those big boy apps like clash of clans and shit. You'd have to get pretty big as an app to launder money efficiently and without being obvious. Can't have just a few whales and not much else you know.

sorry I don't really see what the problem is. the idea is to make a shitty mobile clone like all the rest of them, they all make some amount of money, mostly depending on whales. how the fuck does someone like the IRS determine whether or not these $1000+ purchases on digital goods are "legitimate" or not? that's going to pretty difficult until someone gets very curious and starts looking at more technical information. which is the main hurdle, but honestly how fucking hard can it be to make it seem like a varied group of people are playing your game? you're really going to have to try hard to convince me this is a bad idea
    Ajax African Astronaut [rumor the placative aphakia]
    If I had a money laundering game app, I would call it The Cleaners.
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    has already been done if you google it.
    Originally posted by vindicktive vinny has already been done if you google it.

thanks for the link (I've googled it)
    mso8 Houston
    it's possible but, assuming you have $10,000 in cash, that's a lot of those piece of shit gift cards for apple/google/etc you would have to be buying to get it converted into digital. i am assuming in the police state that is America it would also be too suspicious to get them all in one go, you'd turn some eyes for sure.
    in principle, it's another vehicle for laundering but it's kind of unrefined.

also, why would you launder $10,000? it's too much work, don't you think
Jump to Top