User Controls

Moved from windows to mac... The windows I/O bottlenecks was the defining factor

filtration African Astronaut
    This post has been edited by a bot I made to preserve my privacy.
    aldra JIDF Controlled Opposition
    the hardest part is telling your dad you're gay
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    -SpectraL coward [the spuriously bluish-lilac bushman]
    I hate I/O bottlenecks. They are the absolute worst.
    Originally posted by filtration How did your dad take it?

like a man

I don't use osx though. I don't use windows outside of gayming
    What is an I/O bottleneck?

Congrats on switching. I'm stuck on Windows, and it's just awful to use, and feels super slow.
    Glokula's Homabla African Astronaut
    omg is this a Ferrari?
    Originally posted by filtration I/O .= Input output… AKA: The file system. Have you noticed when using things like NPM, Composer, Maven etc the speed is super slow? Thats the IO bottleneck

Oh. Yes my newish Windows laptop is far slower than my 11+ year old Linux desktop, I had no idea why, other than a vague feeling that Windows is badly made.
    NARCassist gollums fat coach
    be a man and go linux

The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    esbity African Astronaut
    Originally posted by filtration but now both my laptops are running osx and linux.

Now you just need to delete the osx and you'll be set.
    NARCassist gollums fat coach
    Wouldn't have had any applefags on here back in the totse days

esbity African Astronaut
    Originally posted by NARCassist Wouldn't have had any applefags on here back in the totse days

Yeah, but be careful, some of these Apple-boys know their shit. Lamy is an apple. 🍎
    Originally posted by NARCassist Wouldn't have had any applefags on here back in the totse days

I was on a Mac and on totse from 2002 up till Jeff Hunter's TTFN in 2009.
    Lanny Bird of Courage

Apples desktop OS is very different today than it was back then. It was still on the power arch, may well have been pre-darwin, I don’t think clang was a thing back then, it was considered a significantly less important build targets then than now, the development story and things like homebrew or ports were either not widespread and polished or didn’t exist yet. A lot of the best parts of OS X weren’t a thing back then.
    Glokula's Homabla African Astronaut
    Originally posted by aldra the hardest part is telling your dad you're gay

did you tell him
    Originally posted by Lanny Apples desktop OS is very different today than it was back then. It was still on the power arch, may well have been pre-darwin, I don’t think clang was a thing back then, it was considered a significantly less important build targets then than now, the development story and things like homebrew or ports were either not widespread and polished or didn’t exist yet. A lot of the best parts of OS X weren’t a thing back then.

OSX has always run on Darwin, and Power PC was the shit in the early 2000s.

The only real difference imo was tcsh was the default shell instead of BASH.
    Grimace motherfucker [my enumerable hindi guideword]
    MacOS - Spyware Edge Lord OS.

I am glad you're enjoying your BSD debauchery OS.
    Lanny Bird of Courage
    Originally posted by MORALLY SUPERIOR BEING 2.0 - The GMO Reckoning OSX has always run on Darwin, and Power PC was the shit in the early 2000s.

Yes, you'll note I said "Apple's desktop OS" though. I'm pretty sure mac OS 9 and before were not Darwin based. Although "classic mac" was apparently obselessed in 2001 so ehh.

Regardless of what you think of the power architecture on a technical level (and I do definitely think it has some cool stuff in it, even today) it wasn't really an advantage in market given x86 is so heavily commodified (and was even back then AFAIK).
    if I remember right, darwin was what they named the BSD kernel they bought out in the 90s so they've probably been using it for a long time
Jump to Top