User Controls

Nested VPN performance = shit

A College Professor victim of incest [your moreover breastless limestone]
    I want connectivity on my machine to be through a VPN, and then run a VM that connects through the host machines connection, over it's own VPN.

Traffic through just one VPN only sees a negligible drop in downstream rate versus straight from ISP, but once I get one VPN running through the other, the nested one's download rate drops to about 1/10th.

WHAT THE FUCK?!
    I should be using a VPN right now, I’m not sure why I’m not. I pay for ProtonVPN’s premium service
    aldra JIDF Controlled Opposition
    what

why would you do that?
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    Who me? I just subscribe to shit on impulse.

On YouTube I have 4 subscribers but I subscribe to over 16,000 channels.
    aldra JIDF Controlled Opposition
    no, I meant ACP. I can't see any reason you'd run a setup that way
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    Originally posted by aldra what

why would you do that?

The first VPN provides channel-bonding service which combines two or more web connections into one: benefit of combining the download rates, combining the upload rates, redundancy if one connection is lost, helps reduce latency spikes by sending info redundantly over both channels and optimizes use on the fly. Costs about 5 bucks a month.

The second VPN allows port-forwarding, which I need to host services from the VM. Costs about 5 bucks a month

The first VPN allows access to port-forwarding only with their highest tier of service which is a dedicated server at an additional cost of 120/mo.

If I could use them "cascaded" without this massive loss in throughput, I'm looking at about 10 dollars a month total with both subscriptions.

This is for hobbyist/experimental use and I can spend a few bucks but I'm not paying enterprise pricing to dick around. Certainly open to suggestions.
    Now I think a big part of it is processing power limitation on my end.

Running speed tests in virtualbox maxxes out the two CPU threads it has while on the upload portion.
    With just one vpn connected from the host machine, I only get 2/3rd the download rate using speedtest.com in the VM as doing the exact same test on the host machine. ( Same web browser, same speedtest server ).

Prolly time for a new compy. I kinda want a thinkpad x280 for quadcore i5/i7 but lenovo fagged out and decided it needed to be ultra-thin like a macbook or something. Now you need a dongle to access the ethernet port, it charges over thunderbolt so you need to come up with some other kind of convoluted solution if you want to charge and use the one thunderbolt port at the same time. And the battery now only comes in one size: small and internal. Maybe there isn't a modern high performance sub 13" laptop that isnt a fagged out cracker-thin wafer-mobile.
    Sudo Black Hole [my hereto riemannian peach]
    Just use qubes and stfu
    thats not a good sales pitch
    Sudo Black Hole [my hereto riemannian peach]
    Originally posted by A College Professor thats not a good sales pitch

You're not a good sales bitch
    ur not a good troll either
    apt Tuskegee Airman
    nigger
    Bueno motherfucker
    Grimace motherfucker [my enumerable hindi guideword]
    OP is trying to squeeze every last drop of 4G LTE bandwidth available to him, often making him come up with CRAZY IDEAS.
    stupid noob VICTIM of farm equipment [the momentously grade-constructed phasmatodea]
    OP is running a tor hidden service for CP.
    DontTellEm Black Hole
    U creeping me bro?
Jump to Top