User Controls

I just spent like two hours of my evening making sure you can all read the second page of search results for RisiR's posts

Lanny Bird of Courage
    Want to learn some obscure trivia about unicode in URLs? Want to see some python black magicks? Observe my latest sacrifice at the Temple of Time Wasted on Things That Almost Certainly Don't Matter:

https://github.com/Lanny/ISS/commit/c318a4113605875a07785c7ccbbac5ec3a91e0f3

This may be the densest line of python I've ever written:

return ''.join([(chr(ord(c)) if ord(c) < 256 else c.encode('utf-8')) for c in fucked_unicode_str])

but at least it's not perl.
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    Rizzo in a box African Astronaut [the rapidly lightproof ovariectomy]
    thank you for your service
    aldra JIDF Controlled Opposition
    Originally posted by Lanny This may be the densest line of python I've ever written:

return ''.join([(chr(ord(c)) if ord(c) < 256 else c.encode('utf-8')) for c in fucked_unicode_str])

but at least it's not perl.

I barely understand Python, but I can tell that that is a clever line of code.

Also (((Some))) browsers πŸ˜‚
    Originally posted by MORALLY SUPERIOR BEING 2.0 - The GMO Reckoning I barely understand Python, but I can tell that that is a clever line of code.

Also (((Some))) browsers πŸ˜‚

Yeah if his code was any more elite wed have to shut down the whole internet cause it could end allllll existence,
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    Lanny can hack time.
    ps. no need for it to be that dense if you don't want it to be

I can only assume you do and will slowly join the perl side
    Lanny Bird of Courage
    Originally posted by aldra ps. no need for it to be that dense if you don't want it to be

I can only assume you do and will slowly join the perl side

I have a philosophical position on list comprehensions which is basically that they should be used where you'd do map in other languages but you're not going for point free style (which I increasingly think is justified since I'm not crazy about the lambda syntax and I have a nagging suspicion that the interpreter isn't smart about it and it ends up using an extra stack frame relative to LCs). And that's what this is, using a full for loop would maybe save you some eyestrain if you're not familiar with the LC/ternary syntax but I don't actually think it would make the logic any clearer.

That said I do have a kind of love of batshit crazy perl oneliners. I don't particularly like the language, I used it recently and the multi-dimensional array, reference, and hashmap syntax (which interoperate in weird ways I still don't really get) just seem like a wart instead of something that does anything to improve expressiveness. But I like the way perl programmers think and the culture that has a certain sense of privacy and autonomy that necessarily goes with the prevailing attitudes towards accessibility and authorial freedom to shoot yourself in the foot.
    Yeah, arrays weren't designed fantastically and maps/hashes are confusing. I suspect the latter mostly evolved form a specific mindset and/or use case which diverged from consensus a long time ago; they seem bizarre even coming from lower-level languages
    esbity African Astronaut
    TY lamy.
    mmQ Lisa Turtle
    Thanks I've been struggling with this lately I thought it was just on my end.
    DontTellEm Black Hole
    Originally posted by CoosCoosOnTheLoose Yeah if his code was any more elite wed have to shut down the whole internet cause it could end allllll existence,

Lol. ☺️
    Javascript is the only true path to enlightenment.
    stare rape African Astronaut (banned)
    Nice. I didn't think it would be that much of a pain or I probably would've left it alone, hopefully you got some sort of enjoyment out of it

I honestly thought it was on my end, like my phone supported characters that my browser didn't or some crazy shit like that

Thanks though, hopefully it will have more use in the future
    PrettyHateMachine African Astronaut
    I spend two hours reading shit posts on nis
    It's not any large amount of time
    You normies of the fleshnet have it really shitty having to live according to a schedule
    Sophie Pedophile Tech Support
    Bravo. Magnificent. Stupendous.
Jump to Top