User Controls

I think my dog is dying ☹️

Technologist victim of incest
    My 13 y/o lab mix seems to be in the last stages of her life. She has lost about 20% of her body weight, she is walking about aimlessly, losing her bladder, and is digging at my carpet.

A vet assistant told my son that dogs don’t know how to express pain, so her digging at my carpet, may be a way of showing pain.

This really sucks. She’s my first dog, while living on my own. Anybody else go through this with their dog(s)? How did you deal with it?
    Grimace motherfucker [my enumerable hindi guideword]
    Yes. Went through this many, many times. Also with a lab at 13 years old.

Death is part of life. As much as it pains us to say goodbye, we all have to at some point. Two years ago, I had to make that choice with my beloved cat. Excrutiatingly painful for me. I broke down in uncontrollable sobs in the vet's office. It sucks bad to have to go through that, but just try and remember that it's part of life. We all die, even our beloved animals.

If your dog is dying, please be there during her final moments and not send her off to the back of the vet clinic. As much as it pains you, imagine how it pains her if she's terrified, surrounded by people she doesn't know.

I hope your pupper makes a comeback and turns out to be fine, but if not, realize that death is part of life and your dog (hopefully) has had a great life with you. Also be mindful of when it is humane to pull the trigger. My cat was alive, but was at such a very, very low quality of life, it would have been inhumane to allow him to keep living. It was gut-wrenchingly painful to make that call, but I knew it was the right thing. Be open to making that same call with your pupper, if need be.
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    Originally posted by Technologist My 13 y/o lab mix seems to be in the last stages of her life. She has lost about 20% of her body weight, she is walking about aimlessly, losing her bladder, and is digging at my carpet.

You know your dog better than anybody but it sounds like it’s time to me.

I agree with everything Grimace said, especially about being there during the final moments.

I’m so, so sorry. I know how bad it stings.

*hugs*
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    Yeah, Grimace,

I hope to know when the decision is right. She doesn’t seem sad, but her tail hasn’t raised in weeks. I have 2 younger dogs that seem to keep her going. She used to rough house with them till about 3 weeks ago.

I’m taking her to my vet this week to see if there is more I can do for her so she won’t be in pain.

I’ve been feeding her 2 peanut butter sandwiches a day, hoping to keep her weight up. She doesn’t seem to care about her dog food.

She’s losing her bladder, yes it is a pain, but I’m dealing with it. I don’t want to put her down because of that inconveinance. Hell, I may lose my bladder as I get older, I hope nobody euthanizes me for that.

My neighbor, a huge dog lover like me, said I’ll know when the time is right. It just stresses me to see her losing her faculties.
    aldra JIDF Controlled Opposition
    it sucks that we live so much longer than them
    Frala and Grimace.
    I’ve already decided, when it is time, me and my son will hold her in our arms. She’s my son’s first dog ever. Ginger, my old lady has brought so much joy to our lives.
    Originally posted by aldra it sucks that we live so much longer than them

Another neighbor of mine used to have 2 Dobermans. He loved those dogs. It hurt him so bad when they died that he said he’ll never get another dog.
    It's supposed to be easier if you get a new pupper right away.
    RisiR † 29 Autism
    I've been there too with a couple of cats. It's heartbreaking. The last one I had to let go got 18 years old. We grew up together. In the end I had to hold him up to the sink for what seemed like hours so he could lick the stream of water without getting much of it in. He refused to give up and made a couple of comebacks. He smelled like death in the end but the vets said that he wasn't in pain and it didn't seem like it. He would still purr and seek affection until the day he died on his own.

I'm really sorry for your pain. Keep the dog in good memory.
    Risir,
    First off, I owe you an apology for going off on you the other night. In all honesty, I went off after finding that Ginger peed on my bed. I was just beginning to realize that this is getting pretty bad, then I came in here and blew my top. So sorry for that.

I still have my cat De De, she’s 15 y/o and a savage. She refuses to stay inside and seems to have wild instincts. She doesn’t just catch mice, rabbits, birds, etc., she eats em clean to the bone. She’s a scrapper. She’ll probably outlive all my dogs.

Thanks Risir
    RisiR † 29 Autism
    Don't worry. It's all good.

The cats I got right now are all a bunch of pussies. They never learned how to kill efficiently because I had to take them in before they could learn it from their mothers. Though, I used to have a cat that got 22 years old. She was kinda magical or some shit. When she got old and couldn't hunt anymore the 18 year old and other cats from the neighborhood (?!) would drop mice and birds infront of our door and she would wait inside in the morning, go out to eat and come back in. I taught her all kinds of tricks, too. Cool cat.

The oldest one I got right now is 12 years old and he's my best friend. Had to take him in because the previous owners tortured him. He's the best, though. He adopted the smallest ones I took in which is crazy. He really acted like their mother for some time. I got 5 cats but I live in a big house and some of them I barely see because they mostly live outside.

I love animals more than people.
    mikeyagain African Astronaut [unalterably regard the persecutor]
    Sorry about your dog, Tech.. I lost a Doberman several years back due to hip dysplasia, and old age.. Now at about 13 yrs old, Rosie is starting to move mighty slow.. Hurts to lose em..

🌹
    Originally posted by RisiR † Don't worry. It's all good.

The cats I got right now are all a bunch of pussies. They never learned how to kill efficiently because I had to take them in before they could learn it from their mothers. Though, I used to have a cat that got 22 years old. She was kinda magical or some shit. When she got old and couldn't hunt anymore the 18 year old and other cats from the neighborhood (?!) would drop mice and birds infront of our door and she would wait inside in the morning, go out to eat and come back in. I taught her all kinds of tricks, too. Cool cat.

The oldest one I got right now is 12 years old and he's my best friend. Had to take him in because the previous owners tortured him. He's the best, though. He adopted the smallest ones I took in which is crazy. He really acted like their mother for some time. I got 5 cats but I live in a big house and some of them I barely see because they mostly live outside.

I love animals more than people.

Kinda makes me think of my cat. The one I spoke earlier of haivng to put down, was the brother to the cat I still have. Lynx-Point Siamese. He's smart as shit and the most adoring, loving cat I've ever owned. When I got them, they were left on the side of a road in a box. Their eyes weren't even open yet. They would have surely died. I took both of them and I had to bottle feed them goat's milk to nurture them to health. Pretty cool.
    That sounds so cool.

Ya know, I’ve never met a Siamese cat that was very friendly to anyone else, other than their owner.

I was just thinking about how dogs are a good judge of character. Dogs and kids. Ginger wouldn’t go to certain people that came around, those people ended up being nasty people. But, she would sit all over my friends that I still have as friends. Same with my son as a baby.
    Originally posted by Technologist That sounds so cool.

Ya know, I’ve never met a Siamese cat that was very friendly to anyone else, other than their owner.

I was just thinking about how dogs are a good judge of character. Dogs and kids. Ginger wouldn’t go to certain people that came around, those people ended up being nasty people. But, she would sit all over my friends that I still have as friends. Same with my son as a baby.

Animals seem to have better intuition of who is a good person and who is a shitbag, it seems.
    stare rape African Astronaut (banned)
    This is why I don't get pets. Besides the fact that I don't want the extra responsibility, why get attached to something that will be gone that quickly?
    Originally posted by stare rape This is why I don't get pets. Besides the fact that I don't want the extra responsibility, why get attached to something that will be gone that quickly?

Pets can be a major life fulfilling thing, man. I mean, to not experience the love of a pet who needs you...I dunno. I guess the same arguement goes for kids. I don't want kids EVER, but I get it.
    Originally posted by Grimace Animals seem to have better intuition of who is a good person and who is a shitbag, it seems.

Agree 100%

Stare,
    I think the loss is worth the journey. Animals can add so much to our lives. There’s various studies that show how much having a pet can bring peace to some people.
    stare rape African Astronaut (banned)
    Originally posted by Grimace Pets can be a major life fulfilling thing, man. I mean, to not experience the love of a pet who needs you…I dunno. I guess the same arguement goes for kids. I don't want kids EVER, but I get it.

Originally posted by Technologist Agree 100%

Stare,
    I think the loss is worth the journey. Animals can add so much to our lives. There’s various studies that show how much having a pet can bring peace to some people.

Sure, but it all gets taken back when they die
    Originally posted by stare rape Sure, but it all gets taken back when they die

Just like we all die. If you're not open to bonding with other life because they die, then you shouldn't bond with family. We all die, that's just part of life. To exclude yourself from the experience of love and adoration whether a friend, a family member, or a pet, that just leads to a shallow life, I think.
Jump to Top