User Controls

Running Windows on a VPS?

A College Professor victim of incest [your moreover breastless limestone]
    Never used a virtual server before, I'm looking at running a couple old video game servers which are only available as windows applications. My ISP puts me on a WAN ip address which is shared among several other subscribers simultaneously.. so I guess that means that they are performing NAT on their network, and as far as I can tell they have no interface I can use to get traffic on certain ports forwarded to my modem ( my router supports port-forwarding but it seems like new in-bound connections never reach me).

So what I have come up with is I should use a VPN service that supports port-forwarding ( and I'm guessing the latency-hit is not conducive to gaming ), or set a computer up somewhere else. Thots?
    aldra JIDF Controlled Opposition
    you won't be able to port-forward through a VPN, it has to be done at the NAT/router. on a 4g connection the ISP typically has control of that (with a standard connection you can edit the NAT tables yourself, that's what the port forwarding settings in your router do) so you're out of luck there.

Unless you meant VPS in the last paragraph which I'm guessing is likely now.

Yeah if you pay for a VPS you can typically forward whatever ports you want, though they may have some blocked by default (telnet, smtp and some other stuff) for security reasons.
    You can use SSH tunneling in some circumstances too, but if you A) haven't done much with it before and B) use windows it'll be difficult. Also it'll add latency.
    A College Professor victim of incest [your moreover breastless limestone]
    Hmm, well I did read about some VPNs actually supporting port-forwarding ( or maybe it's something else that gives me the same result, perhaps not the correct terminology?), although the one I normally use doesn't. I might be misunderstanding though. https://www.reddit.com/r/VPNTorrents/comments/3oar5m/list_of_vpns_that_allow_p2p_and_port_forwarding/ ? If you click that lemme know what you think?

But as far as virtual private servers, is it basically like.. they have a server with a bunch of instances of something like virtualbox and they give me access to one of the instances of it on their machine? so I'm not forced to use like some funky linux stuff which I don't know how to use, and wouldn't be useful for my purposes anyway.
    Originally posted by A College Professor Hmm, well I did read about some VPNs actually supporting port-forwarding ( or maybe it's something else that gives me the same result, perhaps not the correct terminology?), although the one I normally use doesn't. I might be misunderstanding though. https://www.reddit.com/r/VPNTorrents/comments/3oar5m/list_of_vpns_that_allow_p2p_and_port_forwarding/ ? If you click that lemme know what you think?

I was actually thinking of proxies rather than VPNs initially for some reason. Yeah it should be possible to port forward through one of those VPNs because they actually create a virtual network interface with its own NAT table on your computer - according to that list, some will allow you to forward however you want while others will give you random external ports (say you're hosting a webserver, you would normally forward port 80 internal to 80 external. in this case you'd just ask them to forward 80 and you'll get a random external port number, so people trying to access the site will have to specify that port). I'm not sure how the ones that don't use 'dynamic' forwarding would handle giving each of their customers their own external IP though so eh.

***in terms of latency, if you pick a VPN that's hosted near you, it should not impact speeds or ping significantly, but that can depend on the encryption settings used.

But as far as virtual private servers, is it basically like.. they have a server with a bunch of instances of something like virtualbox and they give me access to one of the instances of it on their machine? so I'm not forced to use like some funky linux stuff which I don't know how to use, and wouldn't be useful for my purposes anyway.

Yeah pretty much. You can get 'shared' or 'dedicated' instances, where shared instances are essentially one of many virtual machines on a server somewhere and dedicated instances are an actual server you rent (more powerful and a lot more expensive). You can get a preinstalled Windows VPS but it's a little more expensive than a free OS, and regardless of the OS you should also have access to a control panel to perform restarts and stuff.
    apt Tuskegee Airman
    nigger
Jump to Top