User Controls

Not enough threads on coax connector

A College Professor victim of incest [your moreover breastless limestone]
    for full engagement. I replaced the dinky little "rubber ducky" antennas( SMA-Males )on my modem( SMA-Females) with good ones but the problem is that the new antenna cables seem to have a deeper threaded area, so that the two dielectrics never get tightened against eachother.

For reference, here is a look at the profile on the ends/faces of the connectors;

--

Here is what I've got;

See where the silver connector is contacting the brass nut? Obv. it can't be tightened any farther, and the cable is still jiggly/loose in it's connector.

Or the same antenna cable connected to a pigtail I have;

See how there is a surplus of threads left on the yellow brass: that means that I am confident that they can be tightened properly. In this pic they are made up firmly to eachother and everything feels solid, like the two white bits have met each-other and the stinger is fully seated. This is what I believe I should have on my modem but I don't.

Is there some kind of special low-profile extension piece that could be ordered to deal with some BS like this? Or I could file/grind down this portion of the antenna cables

But I will likely end up with a bur, and even if I can order a tap to clean it out, the stingers going to be in the way!?
    Archer513 African Astronaut
    My coax is gender neutral...
    Originally posted by Archer513 My coax is gender neutral…

Disgusting, you should terminate it
    Originally posted by A College Professor for full engagement. I replaced the dinky little "rubber ducky" antennas( SMA-Males )on my modem( SMA-Females) with good ones but the problem is that the new antenna cables seem to have a deeper threaded area, so that the two dielectrics never get tightened against eachother.

For reference, here is a look at the profile on the ends/faces of the connectors;

looks like a sex realignment poster.
    aldra JIDF Controlled Opposition
    cut the connectors off and solder on your own?
    Lanny Bird of Courage
    Yeah, I think cutting or sanding it down or removing the connectors entirely are your only options. Pretty sure there isn't anything to "extend" the receiving side. I'd be a bit nervous about damaging it in the process, but it doesn't seem like it's very useful to you outwise.
    I genuinely get the impression that co-ax and radio frequency engineering in general is a black art.

For instance last year I paid for a firmware upgrade to increase my Israeli made Ubiquiti dish from 8mbps to 24 mbps.

This was just a firmware update, but it increased my real broadband speeds from around 4mbps to around 10mbps.

And on my bookshelf, opening up my 2 or 3 books on RF engineering, like an old ARRL handbook(which weighs about 7 kilos), I genuinely don't think anyone really understands this stuff completely. Although maybe I'm just dumb, the same way that Lanny is, and unable to understand complex problems.
    Lanny Bird of Courage
    black_man_sprinkling_salt.gif
    Originally posted by aldra cut the connectors off and solder on your own?

Not currently equipped, I'd have to brush up cos I haven't soldered anything since I was a kid. But the other issue is I think it is a problem with the equipment not protruding the SMA-Female out far enough - not necessarily something weird like an unusually long Male connector on my coax. I would have to find a supplier who precisely details the dimensions of the ends ( and I don't have a micrometer to check what I'm starting with anyway) to see if someone makes one that happens to have a bit less threaded area but I am guessing it would be a crapshoot and easier to just order various part numbers from different makers.

It's such a small amount lol, like 1/16" or even 1/32" too short on the device. I might unmount the device and see if there is tamper-tape on it. Maybe there is a bit more connector inside that I can run out.

Originally posted by Lanny Yeah, I think cutting or sanding it down or removing the connectors entirely are your only options. Pretty sure there isn't anything to "extend" the receiving side. I'd be a bit nervous about damaging it in the process, but it doesn't seem like it's very useful to you outwise.

Originally posted by MORALLY SUPERIOR BEING 2.0 - The GMO Reckoning I genuinely get the impression that co-ax and radio frequency engineering in general is a black art.

For instance last year I paid for a firmware upgrade to increase my Israeli made Ubiquiti dish from 8mbps to 24 mbps.

This was just a firmware update, but it increased my real broadband speeds from around 4mbps to around 10mbps.

And on my bookshelf, opening up my 2 or 3 books on RF engineering, like an old ARRL handbook(which weighs about 7 kilos), I genuinely don't think anyone really understands this stuff completely. Although maybe I'm just dumb, the same way that Lanny is *LOL*, and unable to understand complex problems.

Yah I know what you mean. That's another reason I'm hesitant to take a file to the end of the connector and try to give it a haircut.. I mean, for all I know there might be functional engineering reasons to the shape and dimension of the ferrule-nut? Maybe I would be worse-off with a funky-trimmed connector than a slightly loose one.

I have found that the SMA threads are 1/4-36 which you can easily enough order taps for online. There is another small RF connector which uses 1/4-32 as well
    Loose connections been buggin me, decided to see if I would be lucky enough to have any threads inside I could adjust out...

Nope.

--
    Holding one of my pig-tails up, I assume it is built with a normal length.

Why is their connector SO SHORT!? The photo isn't very focused on the area, but on their connector you can kind of make out the brass washer between the hex nut and the insulator. If that extra depth wasn't being taken up I bet I could get my antenna threaded on properly-tight.

--

Guess I'm gonna get a hot-glue gun and 3 new pigtails and hope they aren't retardedly-short.

Also I realized I paid 75 dollars more for the "gps feature" which is probably still built into the wireless module either way you order it. So 75 dollars for an extra hole in the enclosure and another piece of shit too-short bulkhead jumper.
    HTS highlight reel

This is very progressive. The male connector of the RP-SMA is the one that is penetrated by the female. Reversed polarity transgender connectors are cool.
    DontTellEm Black Hole
    Omg. Calm down with ur crazed sex talk. Smh.
Jump to Top