User Controls

Inconsistencies in Task Manger's CPU utilization reporting

A College Professor victim of incest [your moreover breastless limestone]
    Overall CPU usage at times is indicated at 100% . If I go to the process list and sort it by CPU utilization( Descending ) it only shows 3 or 4 "Image Name"s at any given moment using greater than 0% , and cumulatively it only comes up to single-digit totals when I add them myself. WHAT DOES IT MEAN?
    Lanny Bird of Courage
    I think you can only see processes you own. Try running task manager as an administrator (I think there's like a context menu entry for that when you right click the launcher?) and see if you can see any more processes that way.
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    A College Professor victim of incest [your moreover breastless limestone]
    Yes that's it. The "heavy-use" image was running as "SYSTEM" , not my User-Account name which seems to be all that is shown by default.

I'm on Windows 7, I launched taskmgr.exe as admin like you said and finally realized theres an option at the bottom to see processes from all users.

Launching taskmanager with the keyboard shortcut still woulda worked if I realized this button was right there the whole time, lol.

With only one user account logged in, I guess I couldn't conceive that it wouldn't automatically be showing me EVERYTHING running. thanky thanky
    -SpectraL coward [the spuriously bluish-lilac bushman]
    Also, in "View", "Select Columns", you can get it to show more useful information, such as sub PIDs and handles.
Jump to Top