User Controls

Have you ever not gone to the funeral of a close friend or loved one?

mmQ Lisa Turtle
    And why?

I don't mean to include online friends where the travel required would make attendance fairly unfeasible. I'm referring to IRL family and friends. I know a lot of people around these parts have known people closer to their age that have died from overdoses or suicide, among other things. I'm pretty fucking lucky in that aside from a few 'treatment buddies' that I've heard of passing away, I have never had even a remotely close friend die for any reason. In fact, I've only been to 4 funerals my entire life, my great grandpa when I was 4, my great grandma when I was roughly 8 or 9, my dad when I was 22, and my grandpa when I was 25.

So I personally have never not attended a funeral of a family member. I assume the reasons for doing just that would be something along the lines of it being too unbearable or sad and you'd rather not subject yourself to that.

So?
    Yeah, I stopped going to funerals when I turned 18 and didn't have to be dragged along to them. They're depressing as fuck, and I honestly don't get it. I think I've pissed off a lot of family by not going but I seriously don't get funerals at all. Grieving is hard enough, without going to an event specifically designed to make you grieve even more. AND THE PERSON'S DEAD. THEY WON'T CARE IF YOU DON'T SHOW UP. Funerals are fucking retarded.
    I tried to skip my grandmas funeral because I'm too strung out from dope to give a fuck about anything. I ended up going on about 700mg beeedrill. Dead people can go fuck themselves.
    mmQ Lisa Turtle
    I tried to skip my grandmas funeral because I'm too strung out from dope to give a fuck about anything. I ended up going on about 700mg beeedrill. Dead people can go fuck themselves.

Yeah I suppose that's why they call it 'paying your respects.' I certainly see what you're saying and can't argue the fact that a dead person doesn't give a damn; I suppose it's just a matter of tradition and even part of the grieving process. I could see myself not feeling too bad if I missed my great grandparents and grandpa's funeral (which is a guess, I can't be sure), but I know for a fact that I would totally regret having not gone to my dad's funeral. If nothing else, when we were younger he told me of the 2 songs he wanted played at his funeral and I had to make sure they got put on the sick ass soundtrack!
    Not a funeral but a memorial thing. Just went to one for my uncle this year. I went because it seems like it would be disrespectful not to.
    Malice Naturally Camouflaged
    No, I've never had anyone around me die or even been to a funeral. One of the benefits of not having any personal relationships, you avoid the pain and trouble caused by other people, are untethered by personal attachments and dependencies, any obligation or responsibilities.
    Lanny Bird of Courage
    Yeah, but I agree with what Enter said, they're stupid and make me feel like shit, I only go because there's a social expectation to and for the benefit of the surviving family. Never had anyone I was very close with die, one guy who was sorta in my social circle in high school ended up dieing in a fire in a trap house but they didn't hold a funeral. I probably wouldn't have gone if they did.
    mmQ Lisa Turtle
    I honestly didn't expect this much disdain regarding funerals. Are you guys saying funerals are stupid because they are meaningless? Insulting to the dead? Sad and unnecessary?
    kroz weak whyte, frothy cuck, and former twink
    Just my kitty cat bubba who I burried six months ago after I got off work.
    I didn't think it was "retarded" It's just my cat was someone who I loved and was by my side for several years. And I felt like, because I took care of him and we loved each other, I could at least bury him with some snacks and say goodbye one last time.

Lanny Bird of Courage
    One and three I guess?
    morningstar Yung Blood
    I fondle the bodies
    mmQ Lisa Turtle
    I suppose they could be compared to weddings, in that a marriage is as simple and easy as going to the courthouse and getting married with 1 witness on a Wednesday afternoon, but yet for the majority of weddings it is obviously more of an event with crowds and parties and fanfare. I can see the argument behind finding a big fancy wedding pointless when you can o 'get it done' with far less planning and organization, and the same I guess is true for a funeral- people could just go to the funeral home and pay their last respects there, or just make a phone call or text message with a sad emoji to the family offering condolences or whatever the kids do these days.

For me (and my dad is my only true example), there's just something about getting family, friends, associates, and acquaintances together to honor the deceased (though I get that the deceased can't 'care' at that point), and as Lanny mentioned, benefit to the surviving family, which I assume means showing to them that he/she was loved and appreciated enough for you to take the time to say your final goodbye.

I guess I just don't see how it's meaningless when if nothing else, your presence at a funeral is respectful to those closest to the dead person. If you yourself are close to the deceased, as I've said, it's a way to help the grieving process and sort of say a formal goodbye, if not actually speak and share some memories. It's a form of closure and acceptance.

I can still see why a person might not individually choose to attend a funeral, I'm just saying I wouldn't in general sense say that funerals or those that attend them are stupid or wrong.
    morningstar Yung Blood
    I suppose they could be compared to weddings, in that a marriage is as simple and easy as going to the courthouse and getting married with 1 witness on a Wednesday afternoon, but yet for the majority of weddings it is obviously more of an event with crowds and parties and fanfare. I can see the argument behind finding a big fancy wedding pointless when you can o 'get it done' with far less planning and organization, and the same I guess is true for a funeral- people could just go to the funeral home and pay their last respects there, or just make a phone call or text message with a sad emoji to the family offering condolences or whatever the kids do these days.

For me (and my dad is my only true example), there's just something about getting family, friends, associates, and acquaintances together to honor the deceased (though I get that the deceased can't 'care' at that point), and as Lanny mentioned, benefit to the surviving family, which I assume means showing to them that he/she was loved and appreciated enough for you to take the time to say your final goodbye.

I guess I just don't see how it's meaningless when if nothing else, your presence at a funeral is respectful to those closest to the dead person. If you yourself are close to the deceased, as I've said, it's a way to help the grieving process and sort of say a formal goodbye, if not actually speak and share some memories. It's a form of closure and acceptance.

I can still see why a person might not individually choose to attend a funeral, I'm just saying I wouldn't in general sense say that funerals or those that attend them are stupid or wrong.

nobody wants to read this
    mmQ Lisa Turtle
    nobody wants to read this

I want to be cool. Teach me.
    ^he's kinda right mq, nobody wants to you read that bs. better post a mukbang vid... chicken
    mmQ Lisa Turtle
    ^he's kinda right mq, nobody wants to you read that bs. better post a mukbang vid… chicken

nobody wants to read this you frothy whimpering derpadew jert

Thread had civil, mature replies and was going just fine until the cringe derail crew showed up. BACOCK!
    nobody wants to read this you frothy whimpering derpadew jert

Thread had civil, mature replies and was going just fine until the cringe derail crew showed up. BACOCK!

you are such a dielectric. i fucking hate you.
    mmQ Lisa Turtle
    you are such a dielectric. i fucking hate you.

Are you just opening a dictionary and pointing at words again? :)

Thank you.
    ^they just come into my head, you jeereeeeeert
    Yeah, I stopped going to funerals when I turned 18 and didn't have to be dragged along to them. They're depressing as fuck, and I honestly don't get it. I think I've pissed off a lot of family by not going but I seriously don't get funerals at all. Grieving is hard enough, without going to an event specifically designed to make you grieve even more. AND THE PERSON'S DEAD. THEY WON'T CARE IF YOU DON'T SHOW UP. Funerals are fucking retarded.

You are a fucking cucc and this post demonstrates it perfectly. By not going to the funeral and greiving harder you end up fucking yourself by not letting it out and having an experience that says "Yes, this person is really gone forever".
Jump to Top