I hate niggas, but...

Rivotril Houston
    ...I'm 10.2% nigga, life sucks.
    mashlehash victim of incest [my perspicuously dependant flavourlessness]
    UDREAM?
    Rivotril Houston
    I have a dream...
    Enterita African Astronaut
    Nigga nigga nigga nigga nigga nigga nigga... im 100% nigga.
    Enterita African Astronaut
    Nigga nigga nigga nigga nigga nigga nigga... im 200% nigga.
    Rivotril Houston
    I'm a 100% SPACE-NIGGA!
    Lanny Bird of Courage
    Rivotril Houston
    Lanny, did you just add PGP-support to NIS or this is old?
    Lanny Bird of Courage
    it's pretty new, added it in the last few weeks.
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    Rivotril Houston
    You got da vision.
    Lanny Bird of Courage
    Thanks, I'd like to see people exchange keys even if they don't want to sign all their posts, that way they at least have the option of encrypting their PMs if they don't feel like letting me snoop on them. Although the majority of folks don't seem to care, which is disappointing on the "made a feature people don't use a lot" level but more on the "we live in a society that's rolled over and surrendered privacy" level.
    Rivotril Houston
    Have you ever thinked about mirroring NIS to a .onion domain?
    Lanny Bird of Courage
    I haven't. I know some organizations do that, but what's the point if you also run a clearnet site? The clearnet side can be traced back to me easily so the mirror doesn't offer me any protection. Tor users (with some initial struggles vis a vis captchas, admittedly) can post on the clearnet site with the same level of anonymity as the .onion domain. What's the upside to it?
    Lanny Bird of Courage
    That said, ISS was designed with consideration to running it over TOR, it should work pretty well for that purpose given it optimizes for request counts/network efficiency pretty aggressively and treats no-js users as first class citizens. In case anyone wanted to set up a darknet forum it might be one of the best pieces of software in the world to do it with (you would be amazed at the scarcity software that ignores the fact that legitimate users can disable javascript) but I've just never really seen the benefit in the mirroring approach.
    aldra JIDF Controlled Opposition
    Originally posted by Lanny I haven't. I know some organizations do that, but what's the point if you also run a clearnet site? The clearnet side can be traced back to me easily so the mirror doesn't offer me any protection. Tor users (with some initial struggles vis a vis captchas, admittedly) can post on the clearnet site with the same level of anonymity as the .onion domain. What's the upside to it?

the only major weaknesses in tor are to do with the way exit nodes are handled; tor users are much safer accessing a hidden service than exiting to the internet and accessing a clear service

it really doesn't make any difference here, just saying
    Originally posted by Lanny (you would be amazed at the scarcity software that ignores the fact that legitimate users can disable javascript)

when I was doing php dev work I had that 'discussion' with the boss - none of their websites worked at all without javascript and he just could not understand that some people prefer to turn it off
    Lanny Bird of Courage
    Originally posted by aldra the only major weaknesses in tor are to do with the way exit nodes are handled; tor users are much safer accessing a hidden service than exiting to the internet and accessing a clear service

it really doesn't make any difference here, just saying

How so? If you access a site via HTTPS it shouldn't matter as the exit node won't be able to snoop on the traffic any more than the last node in a route to a hidden service. HTTPS works through TOR right?

Originally posted by aldra when I was doing php dev work I had that 'discussion' with the boss - none of their websites worked at all without javascript and he just could not understand that some people prefer to turn it off

Yeah, it's a hard sell to management. I mean hell, it's even a hard sell to web developers trained in the last 5~10 years. I guess if your job boils down to peddling features that don't work or cost more to implement without javascript it behooves you to pretend like people who choose not to use it, or can't use it, just don't exist and to spread that same ignorance as widely as possible.
    Originally posted by Lanny How so? If you access a site via HTTPS it shouldn't matter as the exit node won't be able to snoop on the traffic any more than the last node in a route to a hidden service. HTTPS works through TOR right?

timing and circuit forcing attacks mostly, injecting fake ssl certs is possible but should be obvious to anyone not retarded

the concern with using exit nodes is more with the owners being able to determine the originating IP
    Rock_N_Rollover African Astronaut [my obsessively old-time raunch]
    Rock_N_Rollover African Astronaut [my obsessively old-time raunch]
    Its okay when a nigger uses "nigga".

Jump to Top