User Controls

Building a CD player vs buying one

PrettyHateMachine African Astronaut
    I was thinking of building an htpc rig with fb2k set as the audio player and steam in big screen mode for gaming.
    This is the tower I have in mind.
    The upside to that is I can buy backup optical drives so this will essentially last me a lifetime.
    A standalone CD player would be smaller and more sleek, but once the optical drive dies out it would become useless and who knows how long CD players will continue to be sold.
    aldra JIDF Controlled Opposition
    1. have you ever had an optical drive fail? I've had a lot, some of the earlier ones for like a decade and I've never had one die on me, so I don't think it's a major concern. the components are typically modular anyway so it shouldn't be too difficult to DIY fix it.

2. if I were to build a device just for audio, I'd want a good DAC/sound card in it, and I'm not sure it's possible to do that with a micro setup like that

*** oh nevermind you should be fine, I just skimmed the link and assumed it was one of those tiny NUC machines - the one you linked is about the size of my gayming desktop, lol
Jump to Top