User Controls

Not listening to music for a year so it sounds amazing when I finally do.

Enterita African Astronaut
    Would that work? Depriving yourself of everything else for a while makes it better when you finally go back to it, so why not music?

What are some other things that'd be good to deny yourself for a while with?
    Lanny Bird of Courage
    Epicurus described human pleasures as either "kinetic", meaning they diminish to the the degree they are satisfied, or "static", meaning they increase as they are enjoyed. Hunger is the typical example of a kinetic pleasure, eating when you're very hungry is very pleasurable. But the more you eat the less pleasurable the activity becomes. On the other hand things like friendships or the arts are better appreciated the more you're exposed to them. Friendship naturally grows over time, and the majority of artistic endeavor happens in response to preexisting cultural and artistic currents, understanding that background heightens the appreciation on any individual work you might take in.

So basically no, that's a dumb idea.
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    Originally posted by Lanny Epicurus described human pleasures as either "kinetic", meaning they diminish to the the degree they are satisfied, or "static", meaning they increase as they are enjoyed. Hunger is the typical example of a kinetic pleasure, eating when you're very hungry is very pleasurable. But the more you eat the less pleasurable the activity becomes. On the other hand things like friendships or the arts are better appreciated the more you're exposed to them. Friendship naturally grows over time, and the majority of artistic endeavor happens in response to preexisting cultural and artistic currents, understanding that background heightens the appreciation on any individual work you might take in.

Oh. True. Well damn, that sucks. BUT I LEARNED SOMETHING NEW. ^_^
    mmQ Lisa Turtle
    You said once you had practiced EDGING. Which does work. So the same application COULD work musically. Like DJ Blue Balls.
    aldra JIDF Controlled Opposition
    Originally posted by mmQ You said once you had practiced EDGING. Which does work. So the same application COULD work musically. Like DJ Blue Balls.

is that just listening to the first 30 seconds of a song
    Originally posted by aldra is that just listening to the first 30 seconds of a song

Hahahahha.
    PrettyHateMachine African Astronaut
    It actually does.
    I used to listen to music so much I became anhodenic towards it so I stopped listening to music as often for a few years and now when I listen to my favorite bands it's genuine again, like I'm actually listening to the songs not just reciting the patterns in my head.
    If you want to totally replinish your brain receptors try not listening to anything for three to four years.
    Lanny just shut the fuck up with your psuedo intellectual bullshit
    Lanny Bird of Courage
    Originally posted by PrettyHateMachine psuedo intellectual bullshit

There's that word again ;^)
    Sudo Black Hole [my hereto riemannian peach]
    Originally posted by Lanny Epicurus described human pleasures as either "kinetic", meaning they diminish to the the degree they are satisfied, or "static", meaning they increase as they are enjoyed. Hunger is the typical example of a kinetic pleasure, eating when you're very hungry is very pleasurable. But the more you eat the less pleasurable the activity becomes. On the other hand things like friendships or the arts are better appreciated the more you're exposed to them. Friendship naturally grows over time, and the majority of artistic endeavor happens in response to preexisting cultural and artistic currents, understanding that background heightens the appreciation on any individual work you might take in.

This is very interesting. Drug addiction is kinetic and hedonistic drug use is likely static. Sex can be both as well. All I really think about is sex drugs death and empiric knowledge. If you told me this IRL I would try to fuck you
    Sophie Pedophile Tech Support
    Just listen to a broad variety of genres. I like everything from hiphop to metal to baroque to neo-classical or classically inspired pieces and opera.

When i get sick of a certain genre or style i just put on another one.
    Nah it's like video games or masturbation
    You can change the material but over time your brain will still become desensitized to the stimuli.

OP do yourself a favor and try not listening to anything for the next five months, then get super blazed and put on your favorite album.
    You'll learn that treating music as something special that is reserved for certain occasions is way better than abusing it as something constantly in the background.

When I get moved into an apartment and buy some new speakers or a new pair of headphones I'll reserve listening to music as something akin to watching a movie, that way it'll be more special and rewarding.
    Originally posted by PrettyHateMachine Nah it's like video games or masturbation
    You can change the material but over time your brain will still become desensitized to the stimuli.

OP do yourself a favor and try not listening to anything for the next five months, then get super blazed and put on your favorite album.
    You'll learn that treating music as something special that is reserved for certain occasions is way better than abusing it as something constantly in the background.

When I get moved into an apartment and buy some new speakers or a new pair of headphones I'll reserve listening to music as something akin to watching a movie, that way it'll be more special and rewarding.

Liek that MitM episode where Malcolm can't appreciate music and fails his music theory class, but then Dewey deafens him, and then when he can hear again he finally appreciates music???

It's gonna be hard not listening to music. It's fucking everywhere. In stores, in shows, etc etc. I've always wanted to go camping for like a month. I could do the no music thing then.
    Originally posted by Enterita Liek that MitM episode where Malcolm can't appreciate music and fails his music theory class, but then Dewey deafens him, and then when he can hear again he finally appreciates music???

It's gonna be hard not listening to music. It's fucking everywhere. In stores, in shows, etc etc. I've always wanted to go camping for like a month. I could do the no music thing then.

Eh that stuff is like hearing people's bowels in the public loo.
    You just go about your business and don't think about it, it's not the same as sitting down and giving the music your full attention.
Jump to Top