User Controls

Powering the rPi without a direct outlet

esbity African Astronaut
    I would like power my rPi by leeching off of other power sources inside of larger electronics. Specifically ovens, televisions, alarm clocks, refrigerators...

The plan is to rig one up in a hotel room and have a script that consistently checks the internet connection and connects to the hotels wifi if disconnected. Then have a TOR service running on it and SSH into it from a public wifi hotspot elsewhere at a later time and use the hotels ip address for automated tasks that require bandwidth heavy tasks.

Everything works as tested, I just need to know how to safely connect the rPi Zero up.

Could I simply unplug the refrigerator, then split the power cable right where it enters the refrigerator, and the connect a typical power supply?

I know in the past I came across some devices that where regulators that went from 120V to 5V and where small. I can't seem to find them anymore though.
    aldra JIDF Controlled Opposition
    Originally posted by esbity Could I simply unplug the refrigerator, then split the power cable right where it enters the refrigerator, and the connect a typical power supply?

as long as you split it before it hits a transformer that converts to DC
    esbity African Astronaut
    Originally posted by aldra as long as you split it before it hits a transformer that converts to DC

Is anything special required of splitting it, like a special cable?
    not really, just make sure you get wire that's thick enough to safely handle 120/240VAC
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    just to be clear, you do not connect the 120/240VAC line directly to the rpi, you connect it to a standard 5-12V AC/DC adapter that plugs into the rpi.
    esbity African Astronaut
    Originally posted by aldra just to be clear, you do not connect the 120/240VAC line directly to the rpi, you connect it to a standard 5-12V AC/DC adapter that plugs into the rpi.

Yes, I know.
    esbity African Astronaut
    If I do some of these, do you think anyone would buy one?

Itd be a small server with a TOR service and the ability the use a regular ip. Not to mention the opportunity to attack other users on the network...
    Cootehill African Astronaut [my unsymmetrically blurry oregano]
    Hotel wifi is an abomination. Is there a workplace, library, or college you can hit up instead? And ethernet would be better.

As far as wiring goes, just strip off some of the insulation and twist on some wires. It's very easy, you shouldn't over-stress it. You can just use any adapter, just wrap the wires around the prongs and tape/zip tie/hot glue them in place.
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    alliGAYtor clips would be easiest if you can't/don't want to solder

and no I don't think you'd have much luck selling something like that, considering it's fairly easy to set up yourself and the only people interested in something like that tend to be into DIY tech
    esbity African Astronaut
    Originally posted by Cootehill Hotel wifi is an abomination. Is there a workplace, library, or college you can hit up instead? And ethernet would be better.

As far as wiring goes, just strip off some of the insulation and twist on some wires. It's very easy, you shouldn't over-stress it. You can just use any adapter, just wrap the wires around the prongs and tape/zip tie/hot glue them in place.

I've looked in other places but there's cameras everywhere except the bathrooms but there is no signal there. Restaurants and laundry where close but hotels are ideal. I generally stay at cheap ones that aren't nationwide. They seem to not change the passwords but I have a plan in case they do...
    esbity African Astronaut
    Do other people do this?
Jump to Top