User Controls

All modern laptops suck ass

apt Tuskegee Airman
    nigger
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    Cootehill African Astronaut [my unsymmetrically blurry oregano]
    I'm actually blown away by how bad my current laptop is. It's heavy, slow and has a bad battery life, a bad trackpad, and an awful display. It's a HP consumer grade one. I hear their business line is better.
    Bologna Nacho African Astronaut
    May spend a little more money.
    Enterita African Astronaut
    But le touch screens!!!
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    joerell African Astronaut [twine our circinate supersymmetry]
    Originally posted by Cootehill I'm actually blown away by how bad my current laptop is. It's heavy, slow and has a bad battery life, a bad trackpad, and an awful display. It's a HP consumer grade one. I hear their business line is better.

Sounds like my friend's ex wife.
    apt Tuskegee Airman
    nigger
    apt Tuskegee Airman
    nigger
    benny vader YELLOW GHOST
    the lack of torsional rigidity still persists.
    aldra JIDF Controlled Opposition
    I have an asus ux303u with 940m gpu

pretty happy with it, only one of the two RAM bays is soldered (4gb), definitely agree with the touchpad ratio being retarded though which is why I wrote that script/shortcut to toggle it when typing
    also I actually like the proliferation of touchscreens - I don't use it because I'm not functionally retarded but they're a lot tougher and harder to scratch than traditional screens. I only wish they came with a matt-coated option
    Lanny Bird of Courage
    The, the laptop market is pretty garbage.

Soldered ram and a battery that's infeasible to replace are annoying but fuck it, at least you can buy your way out of that problem by just replacing the whole damn thing.

Keyboards are abysmal, ibm/sony/apple figured out a good thing with the split key design (I mean still low travel but at least you can touch type better) sony is schizophrenic and can't keep a line in good shape for more than a couple years, apple went full retard with their "butterfly switches" and associated hardware, and lenovo can't make a display to save their fucking lives.

On the topic of displays, 1080 is still considered good despite apple shitting all over it for like over 5 years now. Phone manufacturers figured out how to get their display shit together, I'm not sure what metal deficiency keeps laptop manufacturers from doing the same.

Missing hardware radio button and indicators is annoying but I can deal. The obsession with weight/thinness is cancer though.
    benny vader YELLOW GHOST
    Originally posted by Lanny I'm not sure what metal deficiency keeps laptop manufacturers from doing the same.

mmm .... cost ???
    Originally posted by benny vader mmm …. cost ???

sticking to 1080 would be much cheaper than shoehorning 4k into everything and pushing processors/gpus hard enough to drive them
    benny vader YELLOW GHOST
    Originally posted by aldra sticking to 1080 would be much cheaper than shoehorning 4k into everything and pushing processors/gpus hard enough to drive them

idk.

do 4k translate into increased pixel density to the point they are as dense as those on a phone ???

i saw 4k 72'' TVs and the pixels are the size of bricks if you look at it up close.
    Lanny Bird of Courage
    Originally posted by aldra sticking to 1080 would be much cheaper than shoehorning 4k into everything and pushing processors/gpus hard enough to drive them

I'm not complaining that 1080 displays exist, I'm complaining that they're still the standard even on high end laptops. I mean you could use the same argument for using 800x600 displays, I'm sure that would be cheap as hell. Also it's not like there's an unbridgeable void between 1080 and 4K, again apple has been making displays that sit somewhere between those two points for years.
    Ajax African Astronaut [rumor the placative aphakia]
    I use holographic peripherals and true retina display (displays directly in my retina). CPU piggybacks off my brain via implantation (no soldering required) for mega core processing. Dot matrix printer.
    benny vader YELLOW GHOST
    why not gaming laptops ???
    Originally posted by Lanny I'm not complaining that 1080 displays exist, I'm complaining that they're still the standard even on high end laptops. I mean you could use the same argument for using 800x600 displays, I'm sure that would be cheap as hell. Also it's not like there's an unbridgeable void between 1080 and 4K, again apple has been making displays that sit somewhere between those two points for years.

it really doesn't make much difference for most people until you get to 17" or so, plus they take a lot more power to drive, so manufacturers need to make more processing power available and have to work with tighter heat constraints etc.

I really don't see why 'standard' models need it. as for gaming laptops, have you ever tried driving modern games on 4k? I have a friend who has two 1080 TITANs in SLI and still struggles to get 60+fps in new games
    WellHung Black Hole
    Apt how bout A few bikini pics of some young fresh pink meat?
    NARCassist gollums fat coach
    Originally posted by WellHung Apt how bout A few bikini pics of some young fresh pink meat?

no

Jump to Top