User Controls

anyone know how to unlock a phone?

NARCassist gollums fat coach
    i just bought this acer laptop and went to connect my phone to it to teather and get it online and it didn't work. i fiddled a bit with network settings and then next thing the phone was updating or some shit. the next thing i know i got this screen saying 'SIM network unlock PIN (10 attempts)'. as you can see i'm down to 5, i've tried the usual 123456/12345678 and 000000/00000000 but none worked. is there anywhere i can find out the unlock code. i put in a different sim and its still doing it so i don't think its actually the sim, its the phone, which is weird coz it says sim network unlock.

Bologna Nacho African Astronaut
    Make an emergency call.
    benny vader YELLOW GHOST
    power on with the sim cards removed.
    its looking like the phone has somehow relocked itself back to vodafone. i had it unlocked months ago to go onto giffgaff. i'm looking to find an unlock code online, else i'll have to go in the shop and fork out another tenner, lol.

Bologna Nacho African Astronaut
    Maybe you need a fonafone.
    joerell African Astronaut [twine our circinate supersymmetry]
    Originally posted by benny vader power on with the sim cards removed.

LMAO...then you have no data and can't tether...dumb ass.
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    Try this...

Disable SIM PIN by unchecking in settings...then add code again when and if asked.
    i started it with a vodafone sim and it started straight up so it has definitely re-locked itself. didn't realize they could do that, but obviously they can.

its kinda weird tho why they'd lock phones into a certain network if they're just gonna put in a feature where they can be unlocked by simply getting and entering a code. kinda tantamount to writing your pin number on your credit card with a magic marker.

Cootehill African Astronaut [my unsymmetrically blurry oregano]
    Sounds like the shop did something strange with software to fake-unlock your phone.
    If it's a Samsung, LG, etc., connected to VF if you want to unlock the phone for another provider or you continue switching SIMs it can lock itself again for security reasons...once activated again they can detect the change. If still locked go on Net and there are wdays to unlock for free without a paid code. Always unlock from a reboot and not tethering.
    Cootehill African Astronaut [my unsymmetrically blurry oregano]
    I switched to vodafone lately and ever since my phone won't tether over wifi. I have to use a third party app to do so over USB.
    Rivotril Houston
    Do you have the SIM information with you? At my house I have a card with information about my SIM and there is the PIN I use to unlock my SIM. If you don't have it, call to your phone operator.
    Nougat+ Tasker is a pretty good one...others fade out especially if rooted or modified.
    -SpectraL coward [the spuriously bluish-lilac bushman]
    http://www.cellunlock.net/
    Manonfire African Astronaut
    Stop stealing ppls phones
    benny vader YELLOW GHOST
    Originally posted by joerell LMAO…then you have no data and can't tether…dumb ass.

you remove the sim to get into the phone to disable simcard pin request from the setting menu.
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    Manonfire African Astronaut
    Joe boy I hate ur Google copy n paste on every subject
    Google lies sometimes
    Especially Google maps
    aldra JIDF Controlled Opposition
    Originally posted by Cootehill I switched to vodafone lately and ever since my phone won't tether over wifi. I have to use a third party app to do so over USB.

check the APN settings; by default my phone uses a secondary APN for tethering that didn't get updated when I downloaded the carrier package
    aldra JIDF Controlled Opposition
    Also the NUC is generated by the carrier, there aren't any default codes that'll work. Not sure what's happened here but your only real options are trying the unlock code you got previously or contacting the carrier to get a new one

***or maybe a factory reset I guess, could be a firmware issue on the device
    Originally posted by benny vader you remove the sim to get into the phone to disable simcard pin request from the setting menu.

you should re-read the op, its a 'network sim' lock. not just an access pin for the phone, like what you'd set up to prevent other people accessing your phone. that's a totally different type of sim lock.

Jump to Top