User Controls

Should I feel bad about this? Motorcycle related.

stare rape African Astronaut (banned)
    I'm running late for work, so I decide to take the Ninja to work. I do some rather illegal maneuvers and speeds to get where I need to go on time.

Now, I'm in the final stretch, which is a four lane highway that turns into a two lane highway after a traffic light. I have three minutes before I'm late. The right lane turns into another road (where I need to go), and the left lane continues on that highway. Jackasses routinely get in the right lane to get ahead of the line in the left lane, then force their way into the left lane when they get close to the light. Traffic is backed up in both lanes. I'm in full race gear in 90+ degree heat, after a few minutes I start to get irritable.

I'm in the right lane, behind an SUV that, every time traffic moves up, takes between ten and thirty seconds to realize traffic is moving and moves up accordingly. After a few repeats of this, I start getting annoyed and acting like I'm going to pass him in the two feet of space between his vehicle and the sidewalk.

Suddenly, he stops, and won't move anymore. Assuming he's one of the Jackasses that is trying to get into the other lane, I pass him in a needlessly aggressive manner.

But then he pulls up behind me, and I realize that the only reason he stopped was to let me by because I was acting like a jackass behind him, and have now very likely left him with a negative impression of all motorcyclists just because I wanted to save a few seconds.

I gave him the friendly "thank you" motorcyclist wave but I'm sure the damage has been done.

Now, should I feel like shit because I was acting like a jackass, or was it justified because he was an inattentive driver?

WellHung Black Hole (banned)
    Shut the fuck up.
    Originally posted by WellHung Shut the fuck up.

coming from you this means nothing
    mikeyagain African Astronaut [unalterably regard the persecutor]
    Lot of text walls on this site..
    Originally posted by mikeyagain Lot of text on this site..

there's a lot of text everywhere, it's the internet after all
    Originally posted by mikeyagain Lot of text walls on this site..

Nice ninja edit

If that's what you call a wall of text you must have developmental issues
    mikeyagain African Astronaut [unalterably regard the persecutor]
    Originally posted by stare rape Nice ninja edit

If that's what you call a wall of text you must have developmental issues

Don't most people on these sites??
    Originally posted by mikeyagain Don't most people on these sites??

True.
    Siouxsie_Q African Astronaut

Originally posted by stare rape Now, should I feel like shit because I was acting like a jackass, or was it justified because he was an inattentive driver?

Keep in mind that neither one of you know what each is thinking. (which can be a good thing) and just try to do the 'right' thing in future.
    Don't participate in 'road rage' driving, due to the simple fact that other drivers see things in a different perspective and we have to forgive drivers on one account: They aren't usually being rude due to our appearances, mainly cuz they can't see us especially at night.
    joerell African Astronaut [twine our circinate supersymmetry]
    Actually, in a situation like this assume anything before passing to be safe and only if sure...so you weren't wrong although you even made some bad moves.
    Everytime I see people on the side of the road holding up signs that say “watch for motorcycles” I want to get out of my vehicle and punch them all in the face bc this is the kind of obnoxious shit they do. We see them, they’re just annoying. Like a little fly buzzing around trying get into spaces he shouldn’t. My driving has been compromised many times by motorcyclists and I’ve never once endangered one.

But to be fair I live in an area with heavy tourist traffic and it’s Summer so I hate all motorists equally.
    Originally posted by ohfralala Everytime I see people on the side of the road holding up signs that say “watch for motorcycles” I want to get out of my vehicle and punch them all in the face bc this is the kind of obnoxious shit they do. We see them, they’re just annoying. Like a little fly buzzing around trying get into spaces he shouldn’t. My driving has been compromised many times by motorcyclists and I’ve never once endangered one.

But to be fair I live in an area with heavy tourist traffic and it’s Summer so I hate all motorists equally.

If you guys would pay attention we wouldn't have to act like obnoxious shits

If you see us, then our objective is complete

I almost get killed by inattentive drivers an average of once a week (3 times so far this week) and our patience wears thin after a while

However in this case I've already admitted that I was being needlessly obnoxious.
    Originally posted by stare rape If you guys would pay attention we wouldn't have to act like obnoxious shits

I almost get killed by inattentive drivers an average of once a week (3 times so far this week) and our patience wears thin after a while

However in this case I've already admitted that I was being needlessly obnoxious.

Why continue to ride ur motorcycle? Unless you're driving on an abandoned Country Road.... you have a death wish. It's not a matter of if ...it's a matter of when... you WILL get hit and mauled at some point if you spend enough time riding.
    I just want you to be safe and avoid injury or death, stare rape... riding a motorcycle on densely populated streets is simply not prudent... especially in this day and age of extremely distracted drivers
    Siouxsie_Q African Astronaut
    Originally posted by stare rape If you guys would pay attention we wouldn't have to act like obnoxious shits

After that one commercial on tv, I've made myself check not only once, twice but 3 times for motorcycles. Remember, many instances, us car drivers just don't see y'all, esp. when in the blind spot
    Originally posted by WellHung Why continue to ride ur motorcycle? Unless you're driving on an abandoned Country Road…. you have a death wish. It's not a matter of if …it's a matter of when… you WILL get hit and mauled at some point if you spend enough time riding.

I know, and honestly that's just part of the deal. I know full well what I'm getting into but sometimes rage just gets the best of me

I think part of the appeal of motorcycling is that it requires full 100% concentration so you don't have time to focus on other bullshit going on

And to me there's something comforting about knowing each corner could be my last. Every time I almost get eviscerated by some 16 year old girl on her phone, I get angry, but I also get thankful to be alive, even if only for a moment. Nothing else in this world has made me feel that
    Originally posted by Siouxsie_Q After that one commercial on tv, I've made myself check not only once, twice but 3 times for motorcycles. Remember, many instances, us car drivers just don't see y'all, esp. when in the blind spot

That's why we speed the way we do, so that we don't spend any time in blind spots. Problem is, to someone who doesn't know what we're doing, it just looks like we're being opportunistic assholes in traffic (which, honestly, it is that sometimes)
    Originally posted by stare rape I know, and honestly that's just part of the deal. I know full well what I'm getting into but sometimes rage just gets the best of me

I think part of the appeal of motorcycling is that it requires full 100% concentration so you don't have time to focus on other bullshit going on

And to me there's something comforting about knowing each corner could be my last. Every time I almost get eviscerated by some 16 year old girl on her phone, I get angry, but I also get thankful to be alive, even if only for a moment. Nothing else in this world has made me feel that

I like that response. That's as good a reason as any in my book.
    Honestly I think a large part of the problem is Americans driving vehicles way larger than they need. There seems to be this insane fear among Americans that they need a large vehicle because if they get hit by a large vehicle while in a small vehicle they will get hurt. Larger vehicles have larger blind spots.

I had a Camry before, have a newer Civic now. I don't have any blind spot, and even if I did, I shoulder check every time I switch lanes because it's a habit you pick up riding a motorcycle.
    Originally posted by stare rape Honestly I think a large part of the problem is Americans driving vehicles way larger than they need. There seems to be this insane fear among Americans that they need a large vehicle because if they get hit by a large vehicle while in a small vehicle they will get hurt. Larger vehicles have larger blind spots.

I had a Camry before, have a newer Civic now. I don't have any blind spot, and even if I did, I shoulder check every time I switch lanes because it's a habit you pick up riding a motorcycle.

I barely use my side mirrors...I always shoulder check. Its essential..
    Every time.
Jump to Top