User Controls

Breath of the Wild

Lanny Bird of Courage
    I know I'm a bit late to the party but I've been playing this game the last two weeks and it's so damn good. It's not a very complex game and I'm finding it pretty easy but there's something about it that's so satisfying. It's been a long time since I played a zelda game (OoT, Minish Cap, and LoZ 1 are the only ones I've even finished) but it's so relaxingly nostalgic to play one again. The visual design is perfect and the music is amazing (even if my jam gets interrupted when riding to switch to the battle theme every two minutes >:( ).

I haven't been too bothered by the weapon decay mechanics, usually I hate it and I can stand it here because they're pretty plentiful and it kinda forces you to try some of the excellent variety of weapon designs. Although I do get a bit pissed off in picking weapons to discard exactly because they're pretty diverse and I feel like I kinda have to choose between high power weapons or having a good spread of situational options.

The shrines are an interesting mixup of the usual LoZ formula. I definitely appreciate more shorter shrines with other stuff in the middle to mix it up, the OoT style of lengthy temple sequences which would involve like multiple play sessions worth of non-stop puzzle solving were a slog. My only complaint is that the shrine difficulty seems pretty low. There are a lot of fun mechanics to play with and I feel like some of them are under explored, I rarely find myself taking more than a minute of thinking to figure out a puzzle and you can solve a lot of them just by jumping in and interacting with whatever is interactable. Some of that may just be that this is the first LoZ game I've played as an adult though and I wouldn't find OoT the frustrating lovable headscratcher than I remember it as.

Anyway, who else has played it? Thoughts?
Jump to Top