User Controls

Why do people like sports?

Ensign Galm African Astronaut [specifically erupt this tetrachloromethane]
    Playing sports is fun. You get exercise, you hang out with your friends, and you feel satisfied at the end of the day. But watching them? Why the fuck. You're watching strangers play for money. Back and forth, block this, pass that, if they score a basket goal they score a basket goal. Big deal.

Most people watch mostly because they are emotionally invested in the team. It's a part of their identity. Their dad watched football, and his dad before him watched football, etc. It can also be a very big social phenomenon. The Superbowl may as well be a national holiday, and the World Cup is like Hanukah for 3rd world countries.

Others like watching the tactics behind the game, which for some sports I can get. Boxing is an incredibly intimate sport where very minute things like foot placement and stance can be the difference between winning and losing. But when you're watching something like soccer it's a lot harder to see their plan. You're very far away, and the only real tactic is positioning. Football is similar. Basketball is a little more interesting. Baseball is probably the worst. I'm not saying these sports don't take skill, I'm just saying that they don't take a lot of thinking.

Playing sports based videogames is far more interesting, as you are actually in control of the players and tactics. I can actually enjoy playing sports games at times, but watching it is so fucking lame. Though, I guess that's why people drink so much when they watch sports. If they didn't, they'd probably die of boredom.
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    A College Professor victim of incest [your moreover breastless limestone]
    air hockey, competitive eating, and street racing are the only real sports. everything else is just gay theatrics
    Red_Woman African Astronaut
    Originally posted by Ensign §m£ÂgØL But when you're watching something like soccer it's a lot harder to see their plan. You're very far away, and the only real tactic is positioning. Football is similar. Basketball is a little more interesting. Baseball is probably the worst. I'm not saying these sports don't take skill, I'm just saying that they don't take a lot of thinking.

Can't speak for American Football and Baseball cause I don't know them enough in order to judge. But if you think that Basket and Football (soccer for you) involves no thinking, strategies and tactics, you have no clue what you're talking about. lol
    Lanny Bird of Courage
    I don't consider video games to be sports, but I do like watching high level play in the games I'm a bit more competitive about, which seems like it's on the same level as watching sports. Mostly it's the tactics element, it's interesting to see what really good players do and even if you're not nearly as good you can still often learn something from it. There's also a narrative element of it that I think people often overlook. Like people have favorite players, those players evolve over their career, and the game itself can evolve as thing start and stop working based on where the metagame is at at a given point in time. That can be fun to watch.
    cupocheer Space Nigga [unwillingly condescend the dp]
    COMPETITION (they can pretend they are the MVP)
    mmQ Lisa Turtle
    Well if you're into gambling, sports betting can be super intense with lots of highs and lows and dramatic finishes to games. Plus with prop bets there's almost no limit to things you can bet on. Once you start putting money on sports you'll learn the rules and intracies real quick if you plan on actually making any real profit.
    benny vader YELLOW GHOST
    becos they enjoy watching sweaty men.
    oh my ... that visual strokes my delicacy
    mmQ Lisa Turtle
    Originally posted by benny vader becos they enjoy watching sweaty men.

Or women
    Those rubbery, wet, spandex uniform pants don't house no woman parts in my minds eye, sugar
    benny vader YELLOW GHOST
    Originally posted by mmQ Or women

women dont do sports.

those who do are men without penises.
    Originally posted by Red_Woman Can't speak for American Football and Baseball cause I don't know them enough in order to judge. But if you think that Basket and Football (soccer for you) involves no thinking, strategies and tactics, you have no clue what you're talking about. lol

Yeah I do. I grew up around soccer and basket fans. Soccer isn't nearly as interesting of a sport as something like boxing, and basket weaving doesn't even deserve a place in this conversation
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    Originally posted by Lanny I don't consider video games to be sports, but I do like watching high level play in the games I'm a bit more competitive about, which seems like it's on the same level as watching sports. Mostly it's the tactics element, it's interesting to see what really good players do and even if you're not nearly as good you can still often learn something from it. There's also a narrative element of it that I think people often overlook. Like people have favorite players, those players evolve over their career, and the game itself can evolve as thing start and stop working based on where the metagame is at at a given point in time. That can be fun to watch.

I don't care about celebrities at all, so this aspect doesn't interest me. Seems pretty gay imo to follow people you don't know over their career. People who talk about player names and shit need to get a life. Shit is obsessive
    mmQ Lisa Turtle
    Originally posted by Ensign §m£ÂgØL Yeah I do. I grew up around soccer and basket fans. Soccer isn't nearly as interesting of a sport as something like boxing, and basket weaving doesn't even deserve a place in this conversation

To be frank there's a lot more going on than you supposedly seem to think. It isn't backyard football where you just choose 'hail mary' every play.
    He’s right. I love football. Look at a play call sheet. It’s not rocket science, but it’s really not as brainless as you think.
    Saying "why do people like ke sports" is the same as saying one stipulates to the affirmative, correct?

And stop stealing my damned responses.
    benny vader YELLOW GHOST
    Originally posted by ohfralala He’s right. I love football. Look at a play call sheet. It’s not rocket science, but it’s really not as brainless as you think.

yea, a dozen people kicking a little helpless ball isnt retarded.
    I like balls. Does that count as a sports activity?
    Originally posted by ohfralala He’s right. I love football. Look at a play call sheet. It’s not rocket science, but it’s really not as brainless as you think.

Oh me too I love football! I was just trolling before. I love you frala lets foot our balls together
    Technologist victim of incest
    College football is where it’s at🏈
Jump to Top