User Controls

Fake weed' triggers US-wide alarm

chem2211 Houston
    Washington (AFP) - It goes by many names -- K2, Spice, Bizarro, Scooby Snax, Kryp2nite and Stoopid, to name but a few -- and it's setting off alarm bells across the United States.

Synthetic marijuana is being cited by police and public health officials for a dramatic surge in potentially lethal overdoses and drug-related offenses nationwide.
    Imported primarily from China, it's an inexpensive chameleon substance, its synthesized chemical ingredients forever being tweaked by underground labs keeping one step ahead of law enforcement.
    "We're seeing it pop up all around the country," acting Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) chief Chuck Rosenberg told NPR public radio this week.
    "The dosage amounts vary. The chemicals vary. You and I could buy and use the same packet... and have vastly different reactions to it."
    So far this year, poison control centers across the United States have taken more than 5,200 calls specific to "fake weed."
    That's more than the 3,680 calls they got in all of last year and the 2,668 calls handled in 2013, the American Association of Poison Control Centers says.
    "Fake weed causes extreme anxiety, paranoia, panic attacks, alienation/disassociation, psychotic episodes and hallucinations," warns k2zombiedc.com, a city-run website aimed at Washington's youth.
    "This behavior has been labeled 'the zombie effect,'" it says.
    - Addictive and lethal -
    Synthetic marijuana may look like pot to the naked eye, but its addictive and potentially lethal high derives from chemical compounds designed to mimic THC, the active ingredient in real marijuana.
    Those chemicals are sprayed onto grass-like herbs that are then stuffed into condom-style packets featuring amateur-looking cartoonish graphics.
    "Not for human consumption," some packages claim.

Compared to genuine pot, synthesized marijuana can be "up to 100 times as potent as THC" at stimulating brain receptors, said Marilyn Huestis, senior investigator at the National Institute on Drug Abuse.
    It is sometimes sold under the counter at corner stores, gas stations and head shops, but it can easily be bought online with a credit card after a simple Google search.
    "I love it," said a customer's glowing review of Bizarro on one website. "I'd give it a 9/10. Very potent product and shipping was really fast."
    In a 2012 survey by the University of Michigan, synthetic marijuana was the second most consumed drug among US high school seniors after marijuana.
    "It's a monstrous problem," Huestis told AFP.
    Some versions of synthetic marijuana have been listed as a Schedule One drug on par with heroin, but the multitude of versions means they cannot all be deemed analogs of real pot and thus be found illegal.
    "Everybody assumes that it's one drug, just like there is one cocaine or one methamphetamine," said Mark Ryan, director of the Louisiana Poison Center.
    "We know that there are more than 300 different unique drugs that are out there right now," he told AFP in a telephone interview.
    - Hard to identify -
    What's more, it is near impossible to identify synthetic marijuana using standard drug screening tests -- a big headache for law enforcement.
    "We've made about 65 arrests in a couple of months now of people that are selling this stuff and buying this stuff on the street," Washington police chief Cathy Lanier told a community meeting this week.
    "And we can't prosecute any of them."
    The US capital is among the hardest-hit American cities.
    Early this month, police shot and wounded a knife-wielding 22-year-old woman who, according to her mother, had been taking a mix of fake pot and PCP.
    In June, at least seven people were rushed to the hospital after overdosing on synthetic marijuana outside Washington's biggest homeless shelter.
    New York state meanwhile has reported more than 1,900 visits to hospital emergency wards between April and June attributable to the substance.
    For those struggling with addiction, websites like SpiceAddictionSupport.org provide a safe place for sharing experiences in anonymity.
    "All I cared about at any given time was smoking Spice," wrote one recovering addict writing under the name Taylor.
    "The physical withdrawal symptoms were severe... I was so depersonalized to the world around me that I would just lay there high, watching my life as if it were through the eyes of a moviegoer."

MacPherson, Robert. "'Fake Weed' Triggers US-wide Alarm." Yahoo! News. Yahoo!, n.d. Web. 15 Aug. 2015.
    <http://news.yahoo.com/fake-weed-triggers-us-wide-alarm-020010431.html>.

Dissociator African Astronaut
    A big headache for law enforcement THATS THE POINT
    arthur treacher African Astronaut
    Something just triggered my alarm

oh wait, never mind, it's just fake weed.
    Lanny Bird of Courage
    Real weed is illegal? Great, we'll all just smoke something that's way stronger and more addictive. Ahh, to be alive in 2015
    mmQ Lisa Turtle
    Thank you Jesus.
    Sophie Pedophile Tech Support
    Thank you Jesus.

Lets hold hands and pray together mQ.
    In the name of the father, the son and the holy spirit. Dear god, we thank you today for giving us the almighty syncan. Let us forever evade law enforcement in thy holy name. Amen.
    Sophie Pedophile Tech Support
    In the name of the father, the son and the holy spirit. Dear god, we thank you today for giving us the almighty syncan. Let us forever evade law enforcement in thy holy name. Amen.

That was beautiful §m£ÂgØL, bless you.
    trippymindfuk African Astronaut
    Amen §m£ÂgØL, motherfucking AMEN!
    Malice Naturally Camouflaged
    §m£ÂgØL once thought that China was invading the US while on a bad syncan trip. IIRC he was even crawling on the floor to avoid being shot through a window. It likely also accelerated his development of schizophrenia and exacerbated it.
    mmQ Lisa Turtle
    §m£ÂgØL once thought that China was invading the US while on a bad syncan trip. IIRC he was even crawling on the floor to avoid being shot through a window. It likely also accelerated his development of schizophrenia and exacerbated it.

Are there any members here, in your humble opinion, that DON'T have some form of schizophrenia?
    Malice Naturally Camouflaged
    You. You are the chosen one, your destiny is to lead us to salvation with the light of sanity.
    Zanick motherfucker [my p.a. supernal goa]
    See, I trust that NPR is thorough in their approach and offer a fair coverage of the majority of issues they feature, but with regards to synthetic cannabinoids they fall short like the others. The problems isn't all their fault, journalists don't have great sources of information. They can talk to police and hear how many arrests have been made, how many car crashes have occurred by people smoking it while driving but not how it doesn't make you into a criminal. They talk to state department officials who work in public health, who tell them the number of emergency room visits and calls to poison control. They tell us about the many deaths "related to" abuse of this class of drugs which is usually a composite of many different causes (most of which are actually better attributed to recklessness and idiocy) rather than a straightforward reporting of the substances toxicity.

It's not as though they're going to get the real scoop, the problem is that news outlets only have law enforcement, lawmakers and (to some extent) medical professionals to turn to when they ask questions about drug abuse. Only the last category can be trusted to carry an interview with honesty and integrity, but they're understandably skeptical towards commenting on something with so little meaningful data and so much bad press. They take an uneducated perspective on a multifaceted topic and use biased sources to produce a series of shaky assumptions, supporting them with bad or even fabricated evidence and for millions of Americans, that's the only way they ever hear about these drugs. It's tow media gets used to generate hysteria and sway public opinion, we see this problem again and again. Legislation is driven by this brand of ignorance; they've learned to count on it and they've learned to use it.
Jump to Top