User Controls

IPFS (Interplanetary File System)

Cokse Yung Blood
    This is an interesting new technology, but very poorly implemented from a users point of view.

It's basically a distributed file-system where each file is identified by a computed hash. Therefore if two files are identical they will have the same hash. Finding files works similarly to how bittorrent works.

When the bugs are worked out an an easy to use front end comes out it could really revolutionise file sharing and censorship resistant communications. For now though even installing it is a bit of a hassle.
    cupocheer Space Nigga [unwillingly condescend the dp]
    I suppose.

But with a disconnect in the first few advances won't it ingrain into like sub-cultures and confuse the probability of transsexuals?
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    Lanny Bird of Courage
    I have mixed feelings about this kind of thing. I feel obligated to support technical decentralization efforts in the facebook era, but on the other hand I can't help but notice that distributed filesystems have been a research topic for at least 30 years that I know of and they still suck dick. Every time I see a fancy over designed website trying pitch the next reinvention of something that really isn't new at all I can't help but feel like we're wasting our time. Fully distributed systems fundamentally don't support moderation controls, which is are a feature we aren't (at least currently) ready to do away with socially, legally, or technically. I think (de/re)syncable syndication/federation is a much more promising direction to go in in the near future (as in like the next 10 years)
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    Grimace motherfucker [my enumerable hindi guideword]
    I don't know. The Internet is evolving and changing. HTTP is still functional and working just fine. "Don't fix what isn't broken", as it goes. However, with eyes on the future, maybe something like IPFS has some merit with the way Web 3.0 is mainstream and how websites are becoming more and more demanding, interactive, etc.
    Originally posted by Lanny I have mixed feelings about this kind of thing. I feel obligated to support technical decentralization efforts in the facebook era, but on the other hand I can't help but notice that distributed filesystems have been a research topic for at least 30 years that I know of and they still suck dick. Every time I see a fancy over designed website trying pitch the next reinvention of something that really isn't new at all I can't help but feel like we're wasting our time. Fully distributed systems fundamentally don't support moderation controls, which is are a feature we aren't (at least currently) ready to do away with socially, legally, or technically. I think (de/re)syncable syndication/federation is a much more promising direction to go in in the near future (as in like the next 10 years)

I don't know about technically or socially but legally speaking, if you don't know what's actually stored on your computer and there is no realistic way to know or access jt, I don't think you could be held responsible for, for example, having a hashed CP file on your HDD.
    apt Tuskegee Airman
    nigger
    Lanny Bird of Courage
    Originally posted by Captain I don't know about technically or socially but legally speaking, if you don't know what's actually stored on your computer and there is no realistic way to know or access jt, I don't think you could be held responsible for, for example, having a hashed CP file on your HDD.

While we haven't see how it plays out in court, the implication of the recently passed FOSTA would seem to suggest that you could be held accountable in that case.

An even if that gets overturned (unlikely), as far as I can tell IPFS doesn't seem to do keep files encrypted at rest. Hashes are used for discovery, but storage appears to be unencrypted. Attempts to blind hosts to their content seems difficult.
    benny vader YELLOW GHOST
    Originally posted by Lanny I have mixed feelings

dont you with everything ????
    Originally posted by Lanny While we haven't see how it plays out in court, the implication of the recently passed FOSTA would seem to suggest that you could be held accountable in that case.

An even if that gets overturned (unlikely), as far as I can tell IPFS doesn't seem to do keep files encrypted at rest. Hashes are used for discovery, but storage appears to be unencrypted. Attempts to blind hosts to their content seems difficult.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck that. I don't even want the most mundane of my files out there unencrypted, that's literally a dealbreaker.
    Lanny Bird of Courage
    Originally posted by Captain Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck that. I don't even want the most mundane of my files out there unencrypted, that's literally a dealbreaker.

Well despite being called a filesystem it looks like the aim is more around digital publishing/content distribution than file storage. Per the site "IPFS aims to replace HTTP".
    cupocheer Space Nigga [unwillingly condescend the dp]
    Is this where popcorn intelligence will suffice?
Jump to Top