User Controls

Any good phones or laptops with connectors for external cellular antenna?

A College Professor victim of incest [your moreover breastless limestone]
    Been using my phone for my internet connection ( use an app that makes it a Wifi hotspot ). Worked well except I have to keep the phone way across the building where it gets a strong 4G signal, because If I keep it next to me where my computer is it only gets a couple bars and I get poor speeds. This sucks because I never hear the phone ring or beep for messages.

I need a new phone and a new laptop, so I was wondering if anyone knows good models that have accessible antenna ports ( like the little SMA coaxial connector or something). Then I could install an outdoor/rooftop antenna and bring the antenna cable right to my desk.
    Rock_N_Rollover African Astronaut [my obsessively old-time raunch]
    Which carrier are you using?
    T Mobez, willing to switch or add a second carrier for one of the devices but I have had a great experience on their network using pretty heavy amounts of data. Signal just doesn't penetrate far into this building too well.
    benny vader YELLOW GHOST
    most cheap phones does have a micro coaxial connector inside them. those that do not have two stripe of metal pin that touch the antennas terminals.
    apt Tuskegee Airman
    nigger
    signal booster, yeh maybe thats what i should get. it's kind of funny to me that the "round about" way of making something work is the simplest.

to me it is more logical to plug an antenna into the device, rather than add a device and have two antennas and "repeat" the signals.

Do laptops not have expansion ports anymore? Some of em used to have PCMCIA slots for add on cards.
    apt Tuskegee Airman
    nigger
    Grimace motherfucker [my enumerable hindi guideword]
    Any cellular booster worthwhile is over $500. If you're still into it here is a link.

Your carrier might also provide broadband-based boosters. Doesn't work too well for you.

You could also link your phone with your Windows 10 or High Sierra OS so you continue to get your calls and texts even with the phone away.
    benny vader YELLOW GHOST
    Originally posted by Grimace Any cellular booster worthwhile is over $500. If you're still into it here is a link.

Your carrier might also provide broadband-based boosters. Doesn't work too well for you.

You could also link your phone with your Windows 10 or High Sierra OS so you continue to get your calls and texts even with the phone away.

or you can just DIY a bigger antenna with strips of aluminum foil and box tapes.
    joerell African Astronaut [twine our circinate supersymmetry]
    Originally posted by A College Professor T Mobez, willing to switch or add a second carrier for one of the devices but I have had a great experience on their network using pretty heavy amounts of data. Signal just doesn't penetrate far into this building too well.

The 1700 and 2100 AWS frequency is pretty bad for penetrating walls. You can use a booster and repeater to improve the signal and yet it can get expensive or only improve performance a little since TM are known to throttle heavily from limited towers. MAST transfer are also poor when travelling and hand offs are irritating with fluctuations in certain areas. A mobile stick with another company for your LT may be better solution on a promotion or SAT if you can afford it. A wireless AT&T mobile box for home use may be another option and it does have Internet. A better phone with tethering with a stronger signal on a different provider is I think what you want and the use of WiFi when you leave home. Just get a good protective case this time and don't drop the phone if possible.
    aldra JIDF Controlled Opposition
    Originally posted by apt Everything is moving to USB-C/Thunderbolt, you have to buy a high end business workstation laptop to even get a PCIe expansion slot these days

the thunderbolt spec is insanely insecure

also op, if you open your laptop you'll see that the internal antenna is literally just two wires running around the frame of the laptop and snapped into the wlan/4G cards. it's very easy to solder or jumper an external antenna onto the card.

If it's a cheap laptop and you're not too concerned about damaging it, you could easily drill a hole in the body and wire in a Yagi or something. If you're a bit more proficient, you could make a plug and socket for it (unless it's one of those ultracompact laptops, there's not much space in there for modding anything).
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    I'd be scared to do it myself. Interested in the Thinkpad T or P series, I would be thrilled to have a professional looking antenna connector out the side, wired to the cellular card.
    apt Tuskegee Airman
    nigger
    aldra JIDF Controlled Opposition
    Originally posted by apt Yeah AFAIK it has the same security issue as the old IEE1394 interface

It sounds familiar but I haven't looked into it for a while - my understanding is to avoid having to worry about device drivers and preinstalling software, any device that's plugged in is granted a code segment on the computer, allowing the device to execute whatever it needs to to become operational... potentially allowing either malicious hardware or malicious code inserted into compromised hardware to run with high priveleges and minimal protections
    Wifi tethering is probably your best bet to simplify things. For example buy a MotoG6 phone for around $240 and install the Clock Work Mod tethering App with no root needed. Then all you require is a fast data plan and you can either use a LT or small 7" Tab to travel with. Simple is better...more complicated just makes things harder.
    apt Tuskegee Airman
    nigger
    benny vader YELLOW GHOST
    Originally posted by joerell Wifi tethering is probably your best bet to simplify things. For example buy a MotoG6 phone for around $240 and install the Clock Work Mod tethering App with no root needed. Then all you require is a fast data plan and you can either use a LT or small 7" Tab to travel with. Simple is better…more complicated just makes things harder.

OPs problem is that he couldnt get a strong cellular signal.
    I know, but his phone is fucked also...so if he's buying a new one no sense staying with TM. He has to check what provider in his area has the best signal or where he travels and it still may be TM considering his unit is faulty. I doubt it...yet still possible.
Jump to Top