User Controls

Best way to merge with existing computer/tech repair company?

eBagger Tuskegee Airman
    Since I hate my current town and just about everybody in it, and I'm ready and willing to relocate to surrounding areas and further, what you niggas think would be the best way to advertise that I'd like to take my stock of iPhone/iPad parts (1 of everything for most popular repairs, everything else on order) and ability to repair PC/Laptops/Macs and combine forces with maybe a successful locally owned computer shop that lacks the skills to do so?

Basically I don't like being my own boss, I end up fucking around all day and getting sidetracked and my prices end up all over the place.

I've almost exhausted all my options locally, either working for competitors, or other old school shops not wanting to get into it and just refer to the already established shops. One dude said he'd like to have lunch with me cause he's a one man show and doesn't know how to do any of that stuff.

All I know of is indeed and craigslist and stuff but thats either employers looking to hire employees, or unemployed bruddas lookin' for employment.

Any ideas?

I mean I guess I can just search every town that I'd like to live in, lookup the computer-oriented repair shops, and call and ask if they would be interested in skype interviewing me or something and tell them my situation/skillset.
    A College Professor victim of incest [your moreover breastless limestone]
    wat do u mean merge? do u have like a bunch of specialty equipment and ur super good at ur thing
    aldra JIDF Controlled Opposition
    yeah, you're better off just getting a job with an existing shop, you can use your previous experience to negotiate pay/hours/freedom etc.
    eBagger Tuskegee Airman
    Originally posted by A College Professor wat do u mean merge? do u have like a bunch of specialty equipment and ur super good at ur thing

Yeah I have all the tools and parts to do it myself, but I hate working by myself. And yah I am super good at my thing. Not Panthrax (grimace) good, but its been my hobby since my dad first taught me to build a PC around the age of 13. I've all but stopped studying because the tech/computer world grows and changes so fast and is so massive, I stopped studying and just hurry up and use reference books/search online for a problem that I'm unfamiliar with.

Originally posted by aldra yeah, you're better off just getting a job with an existing shop, you can use your previous experience to negotiate pay/hours/freedom etc.

Yah thats what I was thinkin aldra. But so far like I mentioned I've either already worked for previous shops, hate the protocol of some competitors (charging a $40 diagnostic fee just to look at something yeh thats not gonna make me feel shitty if I already know its not worth fucking with, I loved reading the totse scams and bad ideas but I'm actually honest to a fault) or the shops are old school and don't feel like getting involved with the cell phone/tablet repair (Even though I tell them I'm capable of doing what they do as well in so many words without sounding like a know it all).

And its been about 2 months since I stopped operations, and I'm getting ansy to get back into the field and start repairing. Or at least a more consistent and stable job.
    -SpectraL coward [the spuriously bluish-lilac bushman]
    To be honest, IT is one of the worst possible fields one could be in right now. You'd be best to try something else completely.
    Originally posted by -SpectraL To be honest, IT is one of the worst possible fields one could be in right now. You'd be best to try something else completely.

what makes you say that?
    Originally posted by aldra what makes you say that?

Entire departments are expendable. Metrics requirements these days are ridiculous. Shift scheduling is horrid, even with seniority. Customers are ten times more nauseating they've ever been. I could go on all day.
    benny vader YELLOW GHOST
    Originally posted by aldra what makes you say that?

erm ... being spectral ???
    eBagger Tuskegee Airman
    Originally posted by -SpectraL To be honest, IT is one of the worst possible fields one could be in right now. You'd be best to try something else completely.

Awesome, just 10/10 advice.

What do you recommend I up and leave my most skilled/knowledgeable field for oh knowledgeable spectral? And what would qualify for such a field.

The only main point you had was the nauseating customers. I mean I get along with just about everybody, but some of the menial, specific questions, or just elderly users whose family don't have time to help them with basics just get to me. Like I don't have the heart to charge some old lady for changing her default browser. Which is why I kinda need a boss.
    Originally posted by eBagger …And what would qualify for such a field.

There's an extremely high demand for blacksmiths right now. Seriously, the entire technical support sector is total shit right now. If you really "want a boss", and you live in the United States, contact CONVERGYS. They have hundreds of active contracts going on and they are ALWAYS looking.
    apric0t Houston
    Originally posted by eBagger Awesome, just 10/10 advice.

What do you recommend I up and leave my most skilled/knowledgeable field for oh knowledgeable spectral? And what would qualify for such a field.

The only main point you had was the nauseating customers. I mean I get along with just about everybody, but some of the menial, specific questions, or just elderly users whose family don't have time to help them with basics just get to me. Like I don't have the heart to charge some old lady for changing her default browser. Which is why I kinda need a boss.

That's why you learn marketing and pick up on the fact that you DON'T charge that old lady to change her browser, she remembers you didn't charge her next time she has a more serious issue she goes to you because you showed good business practice. Old people love that shit especially.

You're self sabotaging. Shut the fuck up and do it or swim in your depression.
    benny vader YELLOW GHOST
    Originally posted by apric0t That's why you learn marketing and pick up on the fact that you DON'T charge that old lady to change her browser, she remembers you didn't charge her next time she has a more serious issue she goes to you because you showed good business practice. Old people love that shit especially.

do you know why doctors dont do this ???
    apt Tuskegee Airman
    nigger
    joerell African Astronaut [twine our circinate supersymmetry]
    Get full time emplyment at a geek shop and work on your own part time on the side. More opportunity in a bigger town or city or where there are more specialty shops. Make some cards and post them everywhere.
    esbity African Astronaut
    I only read the title and skimmed through post, but...

Have you ever hypothetically thought about industrial/corporate espionage?

A person could gain access to a small business(specifically a management position), learn it well, maybe slip rootkits on their systems and copy all paper work(client list/prices, sources, designs, employee info, etc), then quit and start the same business elsewhere.

A small business wouls be ideal. Somewhere that produces/services something unique.
    Originally posted by -SpectraL Entire departments are expendable. Metrics requirements these days are ridiculous. Shift scheduling is horrid, even with seniority. Customers are ten times more nauseating they've ever been. I could go on all day.

That's just tech support though, IT in general is a big industry.

Pay's pretty good, there are a whole host of other issues though
    Originally posted by -SpectraL There's an extremely high demand for blacksmiths right now

interesting you should say that, it's something that I've wanted to get into but living in a city apartment makes it difficult
    Originally posted by eBagger Yeah I have all the tools and parts to do it myself, but I hate working by myself. And yah I am super good at my thing. Not Panthrax (grimace) good, but its been my hobby since my dad first taught me to build a PC around the age of 13. I've all but stopped studying because the tech/computer world grows and changes so fast and is so massive, I stopped studying and just hurry up and use reference books/search online for a problem that I'm unfamiliar with.

Do you actually repair or just replace defective parts..there is a difference.
    benny vader YELLOW GHOST
    Originally posted by Jiggaboo_Johnson Do you actually repair or just replace defective parts..there is a difference.

doctors do not cure patients.

they merely prescribes medicines.
    say you're gonna repair a bunch of peoples shit then exit scam with it to another state

i could have sold that info for $5 on the darknet but you just got it for free
Jump to Top