User Controls

Fallout 4 with survival mods [tldr]

Ensign Galm African Astronaut [specifically erupt this tetrachloromethane]
    I have 46 mods currently installed, so I'm not going to list them. However, I will tell you that it is fucking awesome. It turns what is otherwise a shit game into something that's worth spending time on. In vanilla, nothing you do matters. The story is shit. Fights are easy. You have the inventory space of a human-sized ant. Basically, you are an invincible badass, which is great for some games, but it isn't how I like my apocalypse.

With the mods I have installed right now, I have to worry about food, water, sleep, infection, radiation, addiction, etc. Also, I can only save in beds. No fast travel. Inventory capacity is 135 including the +25 backpack I have on. Loot is scarce, and ammo is hard to come by.

Currently my character is addicted to morphine, which I have been using to increase my strength as I am not able to carry my gear otherwise due to a parasitic infection I got from fighting giant mosquitoes. Morphine is expensive in the wasteland, and I'm very much regretting my decision. Had I not swam across the river to get away from those raiders, I would not have gotten radiation poisoning, and I wouldn't have needed to use the last of my radaway, which lowered my immune system just enough for me to get infected from those fucking mosquitoes.

Every decision I make in this game must be planned or I will die. I've only just upgraded my .308 sniper rifle to have a x8 scope and a stock. Also added a rifled barrel. Without it, it was not strong enough to kill the super mutants surrounding Diamond city. Plus the recoil was insane, absolutely unforgivable when you're surrounded on all sides by well-armed retards. I am still unable to venture very far in the city. Earlier I tried to help the minutemen regain control of their old fort from the giant crab monsters. Took me about two hours of trying to kill the queen before realizing I was not nearly ready for that. I need more meds, more explosives, and some armor that will stop these things from gutting me in one hit.

So I admitted defeat after maybe my tenth time dying. Going this far into the city had drained me of my resources. In my bag I had maybe enough food for a day, and starvation is a killer in this game. I have had to drop perfectly good armor and weapons before due to starvation lowering my strength. It's not that the Commonwealth has a lack of food. It's absolutely thriving with meat. But the problem comes with cooking it. If I don't cook it, there's a good chance I will simply make things worse. With my mods, radiation from uncooked foods and unpurified water are extreme. My settlement at Sanctuary has a water purifier which I am able to use, but it is far from the depths of the city. I decided that I needed to go back and rest for a few days. Maybe see a doctor about the heroin addiction. But the end times are unforgiving.

Thus far, I'm stuck in the city. I have only three stimpacks and am already dehydrated. The river runs nearby, so I can get water, but I'm also borderline radiation sickness again. I've been trying my best to simply sneak past all the ghouls, raiders, and mutants that thrive in the city, but it hasn't been easy. Buildings stretch tall here and it isn't at all uncommon to catch sniper fire. I've tried running, but the mine population is pretty dense where I'm at. I can survive maybe getting shot once from a .308. Pipe rifles usually give me a bit more time to hide and plan my defense. But it doesn't matter too much. A bullet is a bullet, and any one of them can mean my death.

At this very moment my character is on top of a building with a single electrical box for cover. There is a raider compound to my south, and a building full of mutants to the east. I can shimmy my way down, but it would put me in full view of the mutants. They're very perceptive. I could probably shoot the sniper out, but then they'd all be alerted to my presence (again) and I most certainly do not have the ammunition to fight them off. The good news is that they die about as easily as I do, but I can't kill everything I come across. Even if I did get out, I wouldn't be able to defend myself.

I've set up a bedroll for the night, which I can only sleep in for 3 hours. In the vanilla game, this means only 3 hours at a time. But I've got a cooldown period for this, so the latest I can wait out the darkness is about 4:30 am, and let me tell you, it IS very dark.

Frankly, I don't know how the fuck I'm going to get out of this situation. I'm at level 15 right now and in such bad of a condition that I'm not entirely sure I could even make it the half-day trek to Sanctuary. I could obviously use cheats, but that's no fun. I'm struggling hardcore but I truly enjoy it. The game doesn't feel unfair. All NPC's are reliant on ammo, and can also get sick or addicted and whatnot. (Apparently there's a ~75% chance for Raiders to be addicted to some sort of chem).

I think what I will have to do is use the rest of my jet fuel to run east towards the mutants. I believe they are mostly upstairs, so if I can get right up alongside the building, they won't be able to see me. I can use med-x and heroin to increase my damage resistance to fight the ground troops. This should allow me to get shot at least a few times before needing to heal. Hopefully, anyway. I've scouted the area and it seems that all the ground mutants are weaklings. It will still be a challenge if there are more than two or three of them, but if I really need to I can make a beeline around the building and swim. I will get radiation sickness and maybe worse, but it's better than dying.

Once I get back to Sanctuary, I am going to start manufacturing heroin so that I never, ever run low again.
    Obbe Alan What? [annoy my right-angled speediness]
    Cool.
    Survival mods are LAME.

YOURE SUPPOSED TO MAKE YOUR OWN STORY MAN
    Madman African Astronaut
    I did read all of this. This game did suck with no mods, I mainly have used mods to make the females topless but I play on a ps4 now so they don't allo0w the goods shit.
    HTS highlight reel
    Is it the Frost mod or whatever?
    Lanny Bird of Courage
    This sounds pretty fun, I'm kinda interested in reinstalling FO4 and trying it out. How is the game stability? Beth games have a history of being a bit jank in vanilla and getting worse quick as you pile mods on. Any chance we can get a list of the most significant mods?
    Xlite African Astronaut
    Its amazing how many additional hours can be added to games like these.
    I have a friend who's still playing skyrim simply because of mods.
    Originally posted by Lanny This sounds pretty fun, I'm kinda interested in reinstalling FO4 and trying it out. How is the game stability? Beth games have a history of being a bit jank in vanilla and getting worse quick as you pile mods on. Any chance we can get a list of the most significant mods?

I took it very, very slow when I installed mods. Created a shit playthrough just to test everything out and fuck around. It had 20 hours on it by the time I got this perfected. Then of course by that time I was fucking sick of it so I put it away for months and now came back to it just a few weeks ago.

I'm nowhere near my gamin' fun but I'll check when I am. My suggestion though is to start looking and decide for yourself what fits your desires. Most of what I've gotten can be found in those top lists. I really like scrolling through and reading about everything and putting it all together, frustrating as it may be. It's worth it when you do it right though.

Not gonna lie, it isn't incredibly stable. I have a few mods to take away some of the unnecessary clutter, which helps a lot. Whole bunch of twigs and underwater rocks taking up precious polygons. It helps with stuttering. Other than that, I do get crashes when I've been playing for more than two or three hours, and sometimes sporadically, but there's definitely a point at which restarting the game is a good idea to avoid crashes.
    Originally posted by Xlite Its amazing how many additional hours can be added to games like these.
    I have a friend who's still playing skyrim simply because of mods.

I still play Oblivion on occasion. Just checked my load order on there and it's at 125, though a lot of them are just different parts of the same mod. There are also some that don't show up in Nexus' load order.

Runs like a charm on my shitty 2012 laptop tho. I spent several months tweaking this setup to get it just right. Really want to move it all to my gaming PC but I'm not really sure how I'd do that. I don't think I have it in me to get my Oblivion mods perfect again, though now that I think about it, it would be cool to see how good I can get it to look.
    Xlite African Astronaut
    Yeah oblivion was also pretty awesome, made quite a bit of mods for that myself. Shivering isle was amazing. The mad god is fucking epic and i'm pleased they also included him in skyrim and teso.
    Obbe Alan What? [annoy my right-angled speediness]
    §m£ÂgØL, you gonna use power armor if you stumble across any?
    Originally posted by Obbe §m£ÂgØL, you gonna use power armor if you stumble across any?

I already got some from that mission where you rescue Preston. Took it all the way back to Sanctuary and left it there. Then while I was gone, a raider got into it and died in it. I still have all the parts, but I don't have the frame and tbh I'm not sure how to get it.

My survival mods make the power armor absolutely overpowered, and I have 8 fusion cells saved up, which hasn't been an easy feat considering they're 4 weight each. Did recently find a +25 carry weight -2 agility bag, so now my total is up to 150 carry weight. I'm planning to upgrade it once I can level up my armorer perk or whatever. I'll be able to bring that agility loss to -1 and carry weight up by another +10.

Also, I found a cheat mod I forgot I installed. Had a cheat gun in it that lets you apply any effect you want. One of them was changing a character's clothing. I had a lot of fun going around Diamond city and making all the women naked and headless but somehow still alive. They stay like that too. I'm also able to paint that Japanese robot
    Glokula's Homabla African Astronaut
    bioware does bethedsa so much better because you shouldnt have to add mods to make a game fun

mass effect puts fallout 6 feet under
    Oh, anyway, I did manage to run my way out of the city. I ended up getting severely injured though. Got surrounded by super mutants with only a building to run into. I laid a mine by the door to blow up the mutant hounds and got injured by it because they ran in the door so fast. Used all of my stimpacks and started searching frantically through the building when I heard a double barrel go off. I've got a mod for realistic sounds, so this thing is ear-splittingly loud. I was not going to win this battle. AP low due to dehydration and illness, so relying on VATS to save my ass was a no go. Have a good double barrel myself, but I'd need to get a few shots off to kill a super mutant, and they only need one.

Ran to the third story thinking I was pretty much fucked. Then I saw that the wall was missing, so I jumped through it and landed hard. I was injured and limping hard. The mutant started firing his shotgun from the top floor. I could see bits of concrete shoot up into the air as his bullets cracked around me. It was fucking awesome. I used psychojet at this point and kept an eye on where he was aiming his gun. As soon as I saw a blast come from his gun (thank you brighter muzzle flash mod) I would lunge to the side. I was decently far off by this point, so it wasn't hard to make him miss completely by the slightest of movements. I'm not fucking Nero.

This was legit the closest I've come to completely dying. I found some house that was in the explorer's mod I think. Had a shit ton of meds and food and a bed. Basically just ate my fill and rested as much as I could in a bed I didn't own. I was really glad for this too, because I was almost certain I'd die and have to fight my way through the city again. At least when you're outside of the city you can sneak and hide from any enemies you don't want to spare the meds/ammo on.

It's really cool to feel like I've overcome an enemy. Mole rats and raiders used to severely fuck me up. Super mutants were impossible. Now I slash mole rats with a machete and pop raiders like pimples. I also hit level 15, so a lot of new monsters/weapons are beginning to pop up. I found a Chinese Assault Rifle and I'm not really sure what mod it's from, but I'm not complaining.
    Originally posted by Glokula's Homabla bioware does bethedsa so much better because you shouldnt have to add mods to make a game fun

mass effect puts fallout 6 feet under

They're completely different games. Fallout is still fun without mods, it's just INFINITELY better with them. I mean I really love the Mass Effect series. I've played through the first game a good 5 times. But nobody expects good story from a Fallout game anymore. It has a great framework with a great community that has great mods. Mass Effect USED TO have good story, and now it has absolutely nothing. Shit gameplay, shit story, they can't even make faces look semi-human. It is total fucking trash. Even ME3 was pretty bad. Don't make me re-live that ending.
    whats wrong with ME3? ive only beat 2 and am playing 3 rn. also what difficulty do you play it on.
    Lanny Bird of Courage
    Originally posted by Glokula's Homabla whats wrong with ME3? ive only beat 2 and am playing 3 rn. also what difficulty do you play it on.

choose-your-explosion-color ending was a huge fuck you, although I hear they patched it after how poorly received it was.
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    aldra JIDF Controlled Opposition
    Originally posted by Glokula's Homabla whats wrong with ME3? ive only beat 2 and am playing 3 rn. also what difficulty do you play it on.

ME1 had a good story (even if it was just space-cthulu) but was clunky to play and ME2 had much better gameplay, but failed on the story front

ME3 tried to take the positives from the first two games but ended up mostly just relying on graphics and shaders

Originally posted by Lanny choose-your-explosion-color ending was a huge fuck you, although I hear they patched it after how poorly received it was.

if I remember right they just added another colour, lol
    who plays video

Originally posted by aldra ME1 had a good story (even if it was just space-cthulu) but was clunky to play and ME2 had much better gameplay, but failed on the story front

ME3 tried to take the positives from the first two games but ended up mostly just relying on graphics and shaders

if I remember right they just added another colour, lol

a spice dealer

a half-chinese caravan merchant riding an elephant adorned with triangles
    aldra JIDF Controlled Opposition
    the triangles make a ching chong, ching chong sound as he rides by
Jump to Top