User Controls

PCIe Bus Error: severity=Corrected, type=Physical Layer, id=00e5(Receiver ID)

Rivotril Houston
    I have a laptop with Kali Linux to study my things. Today I wanted to update the system with
    apt update && apt-get upgrade
    . It updated well, but when I reboot the machine it wouldn't start, the error mentioned in the title fucks me and I don't know how to solve it. Help me guys, I need to finish a course.
    aldra JIDF Controlled Opposition
    not sure about this, but physical layer indicates that something may have become disconnected inside the laptop

PCIE makes me think a graphics card; what laptop is it/does it have discrete graphics?
    http://xillybus.com/tutorials/pci-express-tlp-pcie-primer-tutorial-guide-2

DLLP is the protocol used to communicate with PCIE devices so 'bad DLLP' likely indicates inability to communicate with that device (8086:9d15) - you can use modprobe to work out what that device is if memory serves but it'll be difficult to do so if the machine won't boot
    -SpectraL coward [the spuriously bluish-lilac bushman]
    Updated with incorrect bios for at least one hardware device.
    apt Tuskegee Airman
    nigger
    Rivotril Houston
    Originally posted by aldra PCIE makes me think a graphics card; what laptop is it/does it have discrete graphics?
    Acer A151-51-56K6

Originally posted by apt Could be a PCIe power management issue. Does booting with the kernel parameter pcie_aspm=off make it go away?
    I tried it but no.
    Sophie Pedophile Tech Support
    Not familiar with this particular problem but it appears to occur on Ubuntu sometimes as well. What i could find was trying to add boot parameters `pci=nomsi` or if that doesn't work `pci=noaer` and as already mentioned `pcie_aspm=off` but that didn't work so yeah.
    Rivotril Houston
    Already tried.

Basically I'm fucked.
    try and boot from an iso, isolate the operating system as an issue
    Sophie Pedophile Tech Support
    Originally posted by Rivotril Already tried.

Basically I'm fucked.

Do you have any data stored on the machine in question? Something you need to keep? You can just boot Kali off of a USB drive right? Unless it is really a hardware issue and not firmware related or anything like that. If you don't have your HDD encrypted you should be able to get your data off safely and simply re-install Kali. Or maybe, preferably, install an every day OS and just run Kali from a USB drive whenever you need it. From an OPSEC standpoint this is probably best practice, anyhow.
    Grimace motherfucker [my enumerable hindi guideword]
    Originally posted by Sophie Not familiar with this particular problem but it appears to occur on Ubuntu sometimes as well. What i could find was trying to add boot parameters `pci=nomsi` or if that doesn't work `pci=noaer` and as already mentioned `pcie_aspm=off` but that didn't work so yeah.

Same here. I did some searching around and whether it was GPU drivers or a wireless adapter (namely Realtek) causing the issue, one of those three kernel parameters allowed the system to boot in almost every case I came across. Since it's not working here...

To OP: I'd do what aldra said. Boot to a live environment on DVD/USB - see if the issue persists.

Some other thoughts: Should it continue even in a live environment, and being that the WiFi adapter may be to blame, you might try opening the access panel on the bottom of your laptop and unscrewing the 1-2 screws holding your WiFi adapter in place and temporarily remove it to see if the system will boot.
    Rivotril Houston
    I can boot Kali from USB but not from HDD. I'm going to make a backup because I didn't save all my codes and CTF tools and see if there is something bad inside the laptop. About wireless adapter I don't have problems if I don't have it inside my laptop since I have TL-WN722NC. Anyway, thanks guys, I'll post updates here.
    Grimace motherfucker [my enumerable hindi guideword]
    Updates?
    try booting to the iso and running modprobe to work out what 8086:9d15 is (it should be the same, lunix calculates those IDs based on internal hardware IDs), that'll at least tell you whether it's your wireless card or something else that's causing trouble
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    Rivotril Houston
    Originally posted by Grimace Updates?
    I uninstalled Kali Linux, but now I need a image of anything with network configures and a uncorrupted coreutils.
    Pull out the hard drive and blow on it.
    Put it back in.
    Should work fine.
    Rivotril Houston
    Tried to solve the problem installing Debian, could not part right. Now I have a no Internet and no free-space 1TB HDD.

I'm an idiot, do I have a solution?
    Rivotril Houston
    Now my mouse pointer don't work even with live CD boot.
    -SpectraL coward [the spuriously bluish-lilac bushman]
    Trying going into CMOS in the bios and check your settings.
    apt Tuskegee Airman
    nigger
Jump to Top