User Controls

Microsoft acquires GitHub

apt Tuskegee Airman
    nigger
    aldra JIDF Controlled Opposition
    github was for faggot anyway

'there' s no such thing as anti white racism'
    Lanny Bird of Courage
    Yeah, I'm not crying over it, gh's politics are dogshit. Some bizarre splitercell in my organization is apparently tasked with searching for any of their code on the internet, so when I had a repo with some code I wrote on my own time but distributed internally they filed a DMCA takedown. Now this is further proof that I work for some of the worse human beings alive, but also github's process was "guilty until proven innocent. They sent me a notice that I had 24 hours to file a counter notice or my repo would be locked, I filed in like 4 hours, they came back and complained about not giving them my home address (which they have no fucking need for) then immediately locked my repo and made me jump through a whole bunch of hoops just to get my code back just because the cunt who filed a notice had a corp email address for a big scary company and I had a personal email address.

In short github are cunts and it's probably time to switch over to gitlab anyway.
    Originally posted by Lanny Yeah, I'm not crying over it, gh's politics are dogshit. Some bizarre splitercell in my organization is apparently tasked with searching for any of their code on the internet, so when I had a repo with some code I wrote on my own time but distributed internally they filed a DMCA takedown. Now this is further proof that I work for some of the worse human beings alive, but also github's process was "guilty until proven innocent. They sent me a notice that I had 24 hours to file a counter notice or my repo would be locked, I filed in like 4 hours, they came back and complained about not giving them my home address (which they have no fucking need for) then immediately locked my repo and made me jump through a whole bunch of hoops just to get my code back just because the cunt who filed a notice had a corp email address for a big scary company and I had a personal email address.

In short github are cunts and it's probably time to switch over to gitlab anyway.

this is one of the reasons I'm having trouble deciding whether I want to continue working in IT in general; for the most part it just enables these people
    Sophie Pedophile Tech Support
    As long as i can just post, maintain, work in an open source capacity on my projects i don't really care. I hope they don't change anything. Or crack down on Offensive Security oriented OSS projects. One's that target Microdick products specifically.
    Originally posted by Sophie As long as i can just post, maintain, work in an open source capacity on my projects i don't really care. I hope they don't change anything. Or crack down on Offensive Security oriented OSS projects. One's that target Microdick products specifically.

I would definitely back up your stuff elsewhere

Or else one day microshaft will see what you're doing and wipe all your stuff
    Originally posted by Juicebox I would definitely back up your stuff elsewhere

Or else one day microshaft will see what you're doing and wipe all your stuff

I got my repos locally stored as well as on Github, so i'm good on that front. It would just suck if MS is going to be cracking down on certain projects due to their nature.
    Originally posted by Sophie I got my repos locally stored as well as on Github, so i'm good on that front. It would just suck if MS is going to be cracking down on certain projects due to their nature.

You know they will

Or they'll try to use it as evidence and start prosecuting people

Presumably anything anyone has ever put on github is now at microshaft's fingertips
    O that's why everyone uses Bitbucket now hah
    Originally posted by Juicebox You know they will

Or they'll try to use it as evidence and start prosecuting people

Presumably anything anyone has ever put on github is now at microshaft's fingertips

Not worried about prosecution, i take OPSEC pretty seriously. In any case we'll see what happens.
    Originally posted by Sophie Not worried about prosecution, i take OPSEC pretty seriously. In any case we'll see what happens.

Hopefully everyone else did as well
    benny vader YELLOW GHOST
    Originally posted by aldra this is one of the reasons I'm having trouble deciding whether I want to continue working in IT in general; for the most part it just enables these people

i also contemplated being a hobo becos the only way anyone makes monies these days is by being an enabler of one evil or another.
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    I was talking to someone else about this, they probably want to integrate it with VSS and make it a part of Office365
    Neat article.

https://www.upguard.com/articles/github-vs-bitbucket
    Lanny Bird of Courage
    Originally posted by Something Squirrel Neat article.

https://www.upguard.com/articles/github-vs-bitbucket

Atlasssian hasn't actively fucked me so it has that going for it, but I used bitbucket for years and it was always just a bit clunkier than github. Really pretty much everything atlassian does is like that to varying degrees with jira being the worst. It's hard to seperate how much of my hatred for jira comes from poorly designed workflows and the mire of bullshit which are "user stories" and how much comes from it being janky garbage, but at least some of it is from the latter.

Github does have the fact that it's easy going for it but I'm getting more and more skeptical of the institution of VCS hosts. It's kind of ironic that git was built with an elaborate commit graph model to facilitate decentralized contribution and a single closed-source for-profit company sprung to such market dominance that a good chunk of its users don't even understand that git and github are different things.

It's really easy to set up bare repos, the only downside is people are a lot more comfortable with the github pull request model than sending a patch or actually like, requesting a pull into a canonical branch via email or something.
Jump to Top