User Controls

how much to tip pizza delivery guy?

i'm gonna need Bill Krozby and mmq's input here

I never really ordered pizza before because I usually just went to wherever I was eating to get the food. But recently I have been ordering food from a pizza place down the street, because they have free delivery if your order is over a certain amount, and pretty much every single time I order food I am in desperate need of calories so with the food I get it just barely meets the minimum for free delivery.

Anyways the place is like a 10 minute walk away. That's like a straight up 10 minutes too, not like a "15 minutes" masquerading as 10 minutes or anything like that. The only reason I don't walk there myself is because I usually look like a straight up weirdo at these times and also I'm not trying to talk to anyone that I don't absolutely need to. But basically the place is like right there.

So normally if I had to order a pizza I would probably just tip the driver like $3-5, like hopefully it would work out so the total was like $16.55 and so I can just hand them a 20 be done with it. That's what I've been doing recently, but I realized the total was a little more than I thought it was so I've been tipping them like $1. So what do you all think?
    Voted saddest thread in universe.
    Idk ask Bill Krozby
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    BeigeWarlock African Astronaut
    In California about 3-4

6 if you live in a nice LA area or Bay Area
    HTS highlight reel
    5 dollars is my standard tip for delivery. The company already takes a delivery fee and pays them minimum wage. :/
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    Grimace motherfucker [my enumerable hindi guideword]
    Originally posted by HTS 5 dollars is my standard tip for delivery. The company already takes a delivery fee and pays them minimum wage. :/

Basically this. $5 is my standard tip. If I order an unholy amount of food, I might tip $10.
    NARCassist gollums fat coach
    well if the pizza delivery guy is Bill Krozby the rapist then just give him a fiver, ya get me?

just give him a bunch of fives right under the chin, lol.

just give that rapist cunt a lady godiva from me

Soyboy African Astronaut [relevantly rival my dehydroretinol]
    Originally posted by greenplastic Anyways the place is like a 10 minute walk away. That's like a straight up 10 minutes too, not like a "15 minutes" masquerading as 10 minutes or anything like that. The only reason I don't walk there myself is because I usually look like a straight up weirdo at these times and also I'm not trying to talk to anyone that I don't absolutely need to. But basically the place is like right there.

By the time you walk home with a pizza isn't it cold?

Oh, on topic, you should tip with life advice. Like "don't do drugs", or "remember to drink enough water". Also with stories, and random curiosities you find. It's much more valuable than money.
    tr1pl3_thr3@t African Astronaut [your inextricably aecial moniliaceae]
    I round up, like you said. If its a 16 something order I round to 20, if it is 18 I might go to 23 ... but we also have pretty cheap gas prices. I teach my kids to add approximately 15%, then round.
    Originally posted by MORALLY SUPERIOR BEING By the time you walk home with a pizza isn't it cold?

Oh, on topic, you should tip with life advice. Like "don't do drugs", or "remember to drink enough water". Also with stories, and random curiosities you find. It's much more valuable than money.

haha both of those would be very hypocritical for me right now
    mmQ Lisa Turtle
    I almost always order from dominoes which is a 6-7 minute drive away and I pretty much always tip about $3-4 which I think is appropriate for 10 minutes of their time. I'm admittedly cheap so if my order is $15.xx or $20.xx I will buy a smaller item like a ranch sauce or a soda to make it more like $16.xx or $21.xx and I'll pay $20.00 or $25.00 respectively.
    I always tip 20% from my hairstylist to my Chinese delivery guy to my succulent plant design lady.
    you american's with your complicated tipping system is crazy af, lol.

mmQ Lisa Turtle
    Originally posted by NARCassist you american's with your complicated tipping system is crazy af, lol.

Lol "complicated"
    Originally posted by mmQ Lol "complicated"

fair, but its still more 'complicated' than businesses just charging a little extra and then paying their employees a fairer wage tho.

mmQ Lisa Turtle
    Originally posted by NARCassist fair, but its still more 'complicated' than businesses just charging a little extra and then paying their employees a fairer wage tho.

Oh I agree completely. Customers being expected to cover part of a businesse's employee wages so the owners can save money has always seemed off to me.

I suppose it's main advantage is putting more incentive on the employee to do a better job or whatever but I still think the concept of expected tips is sort of absurd. Why should I have to feel guilty if I don't wanna give away free money that I don't have to, ya know?
    tr1pl3_thr3@t African Astronaut [your inextricably aecial moniliaceae]
    Originally posted by NARCassist fair, but its still more 'complicated' than businesses just charging a little extra and then paying their employees a fairer wage tho.

In most of the states I have lived, tips were extra income. There are states where wages are supplemented by tips. That blows. But then again, it isnt a job that is meant to be a career.
    Red_Woman African Astronaut
    Originally posted by mmQ Oh I agree completely. Customers being expected to cover part of a businesse's employee wages so the owners can save money has always seemed off to me.

And so ironic, when you think this happens in the cradle of savage capitalism. lol
Jump to Top