User Controls

Programming and CompSci wiki like Hydrogen Audio?

I am finally going to start working towards a better understanding of the technical side of computers and programming.
    I tried getting into this when I was 13 and 15 but all the caffeine and depression made it impossible.
    Anybody got any good links?
    aldra JIDF Controlled Opposition
    Very broad. What exactly are you interested in?

I'd recommend getting familiar with Linux or BSD as a first step
    Originally posted by aldra Very broad. What exactly are you interested in?

I'd recommend getting familiar with Linux or BSD as a first step

As far as what I was to start with, I'm not sure yet.
    I'm looking for a wiki that covers programming and technology in the same way that hydrogen audio does for audio.
    Or, if you know of some good books on getting started that would help too.
    I am level 0 when it comes to programming, so I need a good starter language.
    Atm I'm on windows 10, since I need it for video editing but when I get into an apartment or whatever I'll convert one of my old desktops to a dedicated linux computer (for programming and stuff).
    Sorry for my retardation towards this but I'm going to go ahead and start with Python ... from what I have heard it's not a "legit" programming language but I can use this to get a grasp on coding.

For the record:
    I want to build shit and play through source code for fun.
    Actually, I have lots of ideas in mind maybe even game development eventually I'm just so bored and now that I am shutting off movies and the web I need something to keep me entertained and occupied for the rest of my life ;_;
    I'd say it's too broad a topic for a general wiki like that.

In terms of programming languages to start with, Python's easy, popular and has a lot of useful documentation, just keep in mind there are huge differences between major versions (code from python2.x is not compatible with python3.x).

A lot of people will recommend Java because it you'll develop skills that are applicable to most other (lower level) programming languages while having more complicated things like memory management taken care of for you. I dislike it though due to typically poor performance and efficiency due to the 'Java Virtual Machine' that's needed to run Java applications.

I personally like Perl, it's a scripting language but extremely flexible and robust. It may be difficult as a first language though as there are a lot of peculiarities to it, and the flexibility may be a problem for 'new' programmers - it'll let you do things in any way you want, including incredibly dumb and inefficient ways. Python's sort of the opposite, in that you have to do things a set way, where syntax, context and even whitespace are enforced.

I've come to think that actually understanding how the computer works is more important than programming. When I was younger I assumed that programmers would have a good deal of general knowledge by default but the IT industry shattered that for me. A lot of people can code, but they don't seem to understand why they're doing what they are and have fairly minimal problem solving skills.

That's why I recommended learning a *nix distro first; putting it all together will give you a good idea of what the moving parts do so you're better prepared to extend them or write your own features in the future.
    Originally posted by Hikikomori-Yume I am finally going to start working towards a better understanding of the technical side of computers and programming.
    I tried getting into this when I was 13 and 15 but all the caffeine and depression made it impossible.
    Anybody got any good links?

http://www.worldofspectrum.org/ZX81BasicProgramming/
    How can I use linux in a way that would help me to better understand how computers work?
    Soyboy African Astronaut [relevantly rival my dehydroretinol]
    Originally posted by Hikikomori-Yume Anybody got any good links?

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC29ju8bIPH5as8OGnQzwJyA

Watch all this guy's videos. He's excellent.

Concentrate on MEAN over LAMP. LAMP is old.

Torrent some of this shit:
    https://boards.4chan.org/t/thread/822605

Concentrate on Python. Python is the language of AI and machine learning. I don't like Python, but it is the language of the future.
    NIS is written in Python, on a Django stack, with an SQL (Postgres) database.

Python and Javascript need to be your two first languages. Learn about them. Love them.

Sorry Aldra, but PERL is dead, it is a 90s programming language.
    Originally posted by MORALLY SUPERIOR BEING Concentrate on Python. Python is the language of AI and machine learning. I don't like Python, but it is the language of the future.
    there's literally nothing you can do with python that you can't do with any other language. this is nonsense.

Sorry Aldra, but PERL is dead, it is a 90s programming language.

so are C, C++ and x86 assembler. have you ever spoken to a sysadmin?
    Originally posted by aldra there's literally nothing you can do with python that you can't do with any other language. this is nonsense.
    Probably true, but try to have fun running Tensorflow within PERL. Even Tensorflow on Javascript is a nightmare, I haven't tried it, but I can tell from the comments I have heard on it.

so are C, C++ and x86 assembler. have you ever spoken to a sysadmin?

Oh yeah, sysadmins, those people who earn $130k a year running linux apache web servers? Yeah I was talking to one just the other day.

That's sarcasm btw. I'm sure there are a couple around, but they keep a low profile.

C++ isn't obsolete yet. It's used quite a bit for enhancing particular program functions.

The other two, not used. Even Assembly language is compiled nowadays (optimizing in silicon, same thing).
    That's part of my point. Perl is a scripting language, not for application development. It's excellent for automation and pattern handling. C and ASM are still used extensively for low-level, performance intensive applications like cryptography or advanced memory management. None of them are 'dead' simply because they're not popular.

The reason I mentioned it is because it's useful day-to-day and makes use of principles that many newer, high-level programming languages do not. This thread is about learning his first programming language, not what programming language is best for neural networks or whatever else.
    Originally posted by aldra That's part of my point. Perl is a scripting language, not for application development. It's excellent for automation and pattern handling. C and ASM are still used extensively for low-level, performance intensive applications like cryptography or advanced memory management. None of them are 'dead' simply because they're not popular.

The reason I mentioned it is because it's useful day-to-day and makes use of principles that many newer, high-level programming languages do not. This thread is about learning his first programming language, not what programming language is best for neural networks or whatever else.

The PERL ecosystem consists of 50 year old jedis going on about syntax. It not only has a crusty layer on top, it is completely stagnant underneath as well.
    PERL got broken a long time ago, and has never been fixed.
    It's almost impossible to read a PERL expert's program. Ever hear of PERL obfuscation contests? All regular expressions and odd statements. PERL reads like gobbledy-goook.

In the early 2000s, PERL was hot shit. Right now no one with a brain will touch it.
    Red_Woman African Astronaut
    Originally posted by Hikikomori-Yume Atm I'm on windows 10, since I need it for video editing but when I get into an apartment or whatever I'll convert one of my old desktops to a dedicated linux computer (for programming and stuff).

What do you use for editing?
    Originally posted by Red_Woman What do you use for editing?

Movie Studio/Vegas
    Red_Woman African Astronaut
    Never used that. Is it easier than Pr?
    Originally posted by MORALLY SUPERIOR BEING PERL got broken a long time ago, and has never been fixed.

how exactly do you think it's broken?

It's almost impossible to read a PERL expert's program. Ever hear of PERL obfuscation contests? All regular expressions and odd statements. PERL reads like gobbledy-goook.

you don't like having the freedom to code in whatever way you want?
    you'd rather be forced to use the correct number of spaces to indent your code?

IOCC and pals were never meant to be readable. I have no trouble reading most perl or C code.
     srand;for(0..5){$r[$_]=chr 65+rand 8}sub d{print$/x6;for(0..335)
    {print$_<27&$_>13?'-':$_%14>12?"\n":$_<6?$_[0]?$r[$_]:
    'O': $_%14==6?'|':(split//,$b[int$_/14])[$_%14]||$"}print"$/Enter
    m/[A-Ha-h]{6}/\n"}sub c{return if/[^A-H]/||length()-6;@c=split//,
    ${$f=\($b[24-++$w]=uc.$")};$w>21&&return 1;for(-6..35){($p[$h]=1)
    &($q[$h]=1)&($$f.="*")&$n++if$_<0&&$c[$h=$_+6]eq$r[$h];
    !$p[$b]&&!$q[$d]&&($p[$b]=1)&($q[$d]=1)&($$f.="+")
    if$c[$d=$_%6]eq$r[$b=$_/6]&&$_>-1}(d$])&die"Done$/"if$n>5;
    $n=@p=@q=()}while(!c){d|chop($_=uc<>)}d$/;print"$/Looser!$/"

https://www.foo.be/docs/tpj/issues/vol4_3/tpj0403-0017.html
    Originally posted by MORALLY SUPERIOR BEING https://www.foo.be/docs/tpj/issues/vol4_3/tpj0403-0017.html
    Originally posted by aldra IOCC and pals were never meant to be readable.

I like the fact that you CAN code like that though
    computers are insanely complicated. when i started to get a very basic idea of the level of complexity involved in making a computer work from the hardware up my mind was blown.
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    try to set up baremetal OS for lulz
Jump to Top