User Controls

Why do LGBTQ people think they have something to be 'proud' of.

Pride should be saved for accomplishments. Like earning a degree. Raising a stable and happy child. Hell, even staying clean of heroin counts.

Being gay is not an accomplishment. I am bisexual myself and it is whatever. I don't talk about it unless it comes up. I don't feel PROUD over it. It's just what it is. It's like being proud of being X race or coming from X country. YOU have nothing to be proud of just because you were born into a part of something.

I get that coming out can be a struggle. But you should be proud of your ability to be open, or something. Not what you've been trying to open up about. I do not understand why there are still 'pride parades' where all the faggots of the world feel the need to turn the street rainbow because they were born a certain way? Gay marriage is legal. Nobody even cares. Those who did, and who had the ability to refuse to comply, got sent to jail.

It drives me mad that these people think they're being prosecuted when elsewhere in the world people are being locked up and thrown off buildings for being gay. Go find a real cause to march for.
    mmQ Lisa Turtle
    Originally posted by gumbo Pride should be saved for accomplishments. Like earning a degree. Raising a stable and happy child. Hell, even staying clean of heroin counts.

Being gay is not an accomplishment. I am bisexual myself and it is whatever. I don't talk about it unless it comes up. I don't feel PROUD over it. It's just what it is. It's like being proud of being X race or coming from X country. YOU have nothing to be proud of just because you were born into a part of something.

I get that coming out can be a struggle. But you should be proud of your ability to be open, or something. Not what you've been trying to open up about. I do not understand why there are still 'pride parades' where all the faggots of the world feel the need to turn the street rainbow because they were born a certain way? Gay marriage is legal. Nobody even cares. Those who did, and who had the ability to refuse to comply, got sent to jail.

It drives me mad that these people think they're being prosecuted when elsewhere in the world people are being locked up and thrown off buildings for being gay. Go find a real cause to march for.

I think the issue is that we HAVE come a long way. So you don’t really see being proud of opening admitting your sexual identity is an actionable thing worth praise. In many ways, yes we are close to fixing the misconceptions and mistreatment of the gay community. However, there are those within the gay community that are still so marginalized and terrorized that, yes, we do still need to have pride. We do need to stand up for justice and human decency to help our brothers and sisters and gender non conforming friends - everyone really - to make sure they get the same fair shot at finding some happiness in this world as the rest of us. We never would have gotten this far if it weren’t for some rebels way back when saying, I will no longer hide, I will wave my freak flag proudly so that other freaks will see it’s okay to be themselves and so those who aren’t okay with me can see that I’m okay with me and I’m going to call them on their shit if they try to say anything about it, much less do something about it.

Also there’s a lot of work do be done around the perception of bisexuality. Trans, intersex, bisexuals, pandexuald, and asexuals can often be ostracized by even the gay community - cis lesbians or cis gay men etc. They get a lot of shit because people like to act like bisexuals are either not picky about what hole they put it in or they are just taking a layover on their way to gay town.
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    Kinks Enter's Waifu
    disgusting ,filthy faggot
    Perhaps we should have abolitionist marches as well? Maybe bring back the anti-redcoat chants?

Marching doesn't stand up for anybody. It's basically just masturbatory. People who want to get shit done or spread awareness should contact their local representatives. Recently I have done this when I found out my state was planning to ban Crouton. There are a few other times but I don't want to say too much for obvious reasons.

Nobody is going to change their mind because you dress up in rainbows and march down the street. It is not part of the social evolution that catalyzes these changes, only a symptom of it. But we've already got the changes. So there is nothing to stand up for, and no reason to march. This is why these marches eventually DIE OUT. I'm only saying that it should die out sooner rather than later. Like I said, if you must march, march for something that actually pushes for change.

Don't even get me started on those women's marches
    Kinks Enter's Waifu
    Wow let me guess, you don't think black people have anything to cry about either??
    Originally posted by gumbo Perhaps we should have abolitionist marches as well? Maybe bring back the anti-redcoat chants?

Marching doesn't stand up for anybody. It's basically just masturbatory. People who want to get shit done or spread awareness should contact their local representatives. Recently I have done this when I found out my state was planning to ban Crouton. There are a few other times but I don't want to say too much for obvious reasons.

Nobody is going to change their mind because you dress up in rainbows and march down the street. It is not part of the social evolution that catalyzes these changes, only a symptom of it. But we've already got the changes. So there is nothing to stand up for, and no reason to march. This is why these marches eventually DIE OUT. I'm only saying that it should die out sooner rather than later. Like I said, if you must march, march for something that actually pushes for change.

Don't even get me started on those women's marches

I see your point now. Most people in the community I know don’t go to pride because they sold out and it’s all about money now. Some friends started Queerbomb in Austin, but after 5 year of that I think they have finally sold out now too.
    Originally posted by Kinks Wow let me guess, you don't think black people have anything to cry about either??

You mean besides the fact that they are black?
    Originally posted by -mal- I see your point now. Most people in the community I know don’t go to pride because they sold out and it’s all about money now. Some friends started Queerbomb in Austin, but after 5 year of that I think they have finally sold out now too.

Yeah, there's a lot of money involved in it. I know Bud Light puts a lot into advertising and has big support for LGBTQ because they like to sell their drinks at these events. Remember that commercial with the gay couple?

If you want to march for LGBTQ rights, go to Mexico or something. Or Russia.
    Because people try to make us feel bad when we should be proud of who we are.
    HTS highlight reel
    They're overcompensating for being made to feel they have something to be ashamed of. Radical faggotry is a form of protest.
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    Zanick motherfucker [my p.a. supernal goa]
    I think it's fair to say that being homosexual is easier than it was when the Pride movement began, largely due to piecemeal legislative developments that have bettered their circumstances when the religious right wasn't getting in the way. I think the parade, in particular, kicked off at a time when they needed it, but now it persists out of momentum.
    Leftease
    Daily an(nu)ally [dissolutely whisk the pantheon]
    I used to have no problem with homosexuality until they ruined it by being attention seeking faggots
    Originally posted by Zanick I think it's fair to say that being homosexual is easier than it was when the Pride movement began, largely due to piecemeal legislative developments that have bettered their circumstances when the religious right wasn't getting in the way. I think the parade, in particular, kicked off at a time when they needed it, but now it persists out of momentum.

This is exactly what I was trying to say and I didn’t know how. Thank you!
    Originally posted by Daily I used to have no problem with homosexuality until they ruined it by being attention seeking faggots

Way to blame an entire group of people for the actions of a few.
    Number13 African Astronaut [dispute my snotty-nosed seagull]
    Faggotry is a cultural disease, be gay all you like just don't be such a fag about it.
    Originally posted by Zanick I think it's fair to say that being homosexual is easier than it was when the Pride movement began, largely due to piecemeal legislative developments that have bettered their circumstances when the religious right wasn't getting in the way. I think the parade, in particular, kicked off at a time when they needed it, but now it persists out of momentum.

When do you estimate this momentum will die? I can't imagine the gay teenagers of 2038 will feel very motivated to march for their rights. It'd be really pointless.
    Originally posted by gumbo When do you estimate this momentum will die? I can't imagine the gay teenagers of 2038 will feel very motivated to march for their rights. It'd be really pointless.

Some would say it died - or at least should have died - in 2013, when the SCOTUS struck down the offending interpretation of DOMA in US v. Windsor, and that everything since has just been money. Even the gays aren't immune to commodification in this country.
    I happen to think there is more work to be done, however. We may allow them to get married, but they aren't totally assimilated. My opinion is that whispers of equality will persist until this generation of gays that Reagan murdered have all died of their AIDS, and their children become the first queers to divorce each other.
Jump to Top