User Controls

Do I have what it takes to make an emo band?

Sadness everywhere Even where I flip my hair My wrists are my fists Whenever I'm not missed
    I only see the dark Inside I'm torn apart Horizons they will Bring Me The fire within me
    The fire is metaphor For the rage in his mind He lives in such state At all times

OP will not stand to be ignored
    Lanny Bird of Courage
    Everyone knows successful emo is synonymous with twinkly guitars.

There are no twinkly guitars

ergo you will fail to make successful emo
    Sophie Pedophile Tech Support
    Might as well try, emo/scene girls are bretty cute.
    Also Bring Me The Horizon, used to be metalcore and bad metalcore at that, now they're just pop-rock.
    Lastly, you absolutely suck at drums.

~~~Fin~~~
    Lastly, you absolutely suck at drums.

~~~Fin~~~

you derped
    you derped

Let's meet up and have drum off. After which we'll have some spice and go say hi to Ashley.
    One does not simply "have some spice"
    One does not simply "have some spice"

Is there a ritual involved with it where you're from?
    This reminds of Totse btw, when people would hotlink smileys but the thumbnail function blew them up to right about that size, yeah, good times.
    Not without me
    kroz weak whyte, frothy cuck, and former twink
    you have what it takes but you need to take your emo'ness a lil more seriously.

I've been an emo since 1987, before it was cool to be emo (and before it was gay to be an emo) and when I was 15 I even recall yelling at my mom and dad "i fucking hate you mom and dad, I'm paint my room black!" and went to my room and listen to dashboard confessional and drank their burbon and cried like a lil bitch with a skinned knee. I know its hard to tell from the picture but I once slit my wrist and smeared blood all over my gf, the cops took me to a psyche hospital and when I got out I demanded my gf let me fuck her up the ass

I've been playing guitar with a guy I work with recently and bought a couple new pedals, I want to go in an emo-country / psyche rock direction

kind of like the meat puppets, except emo

http://vocaroo.com/i/s1YZVvDKTNM1

i like emo bands but not the metalcore kind. I like stuff like the get up kids, dynamite boy, saintsenca, and the microphones

Michael Myers victim of incest [divide your nonresilient tucker]
    Sploo, all depends on which kind of emo you are talking about. Are you talking about REAL emo? (Sunny Day Real Estate, American Football) or emo revival (Foxing, Empire! Empire!) or are you being a dumbass and are you confusing it with bands like Bring Me The Horizon and Sleeping With Sirens? (metalcore at first; later on abandoning their unclean vocals)... if you are talking about the first two, then Lanny is right. You need twinkly guitars.. check out Tommy Boys' self-titled album, you'll understand what I mean by twinkly guitars.. http://tommyboys.bandcamp.com (Ps: Lanny, check 'em out if you haven't heard of them)

Bill Krozby, The Microphones, emo? Bro... You're right about the Get Up Kids, though.. although I didn't listen to the other two bands.
    And you too Bill Krozby, you check out Tommy Boys as well. They released a great album last year.
    ^I'm listening to them now , I dig it. Are they a new band doing the late 90's emo sound?

And american football fucking rocks, its emo as fuck. We jammed out their self titled album at work the other day. I have a friend there a younger guy, he's like 19 that is the epitome of emo. His girl friend left him and he's always asking me to kill him and give him hugs.

I also like title fight they are kinda emo but more on the screamo side

I'm also a fan of blue october, but I don't like their live preformance, I saw them once with bowling for soup and the guy while be extremely emo is kind of an asshole, in between songs all he did was mutter insults at us and lacked a lot of energy. Plus they tried to be overly virtuoso with their performance and it didn't come off as badass, just to try hard

my mom told me I'm to sensitive when I was 17 and she put on blue october on the computer, and she started telling me how she loves his eyes. and i was like mom he's wearing makeup. I moved out and a year later she gave me a blue october cd and like 2 weeks later she asked for it back.. lol

my mom is so old that blue october, snow patrol, and sigur ros are the extent of her modern day edge. But its at least better than my dad, he barely listens to music, the newest band he knows and claims to like is blink182 and smash mouth lol

and by the way the microphones are incredibly emo
    Yes, Tommy Boys is a new band. The album you were listening to was from 2015. It's their only release.. and I'm not entirely sure, but I think they broke up.

I love American Football as well, one of my favorite bands. They're releasing a new album, or are working on it.. at least that's what they said months ago.. but no news on that. If you want something similar, listen to Mineral's &Serenading (1998). You'll love it. Man, now I wish I was your coworker. Nobody I know listens to this kind of music.

Title Fight went shoegaze, didn't they? With their last album.. or am I thinking of Transit? I'm not sure. I think it was Title Fight, but I might be wrong.

Emo doesn't really mean sad lyrics, lol... it has a specific sound to it and Blue October and The Microphones don't fit into it.. The Microphones are a lo-fi band, which makes sense because a lot of bands make lo-fi emo songs, so I can understand the confusion. I'm not trying to diss you here, you're my friend obviously, I'm just letting you know.

Speaking of emo... Gates released a new album. I haven't really listened to it yet, but they make indie rock/post-rock music, which I also consider to be emo. Sometimes they just go with the emo label.. listen to this for instance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3WttNhMHQs

Here's another emo revival song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eFwAlYth2Y

By the way, I wouldn't call Gates an emo revival band either.. like I said, they're make indie rock mixed with post-rock.
    yeah title fight tried to go shoegaze, pretty much it was produced by will whin or something like that the guy that helped out whirr. some songs are complete trash, but some of them i like and thats how i got into them. I like a lot of their older stuff better now.
    Dude, I was just gonna start talking about shoegaze and recommend you Whirr, but looks like you already know them. What other shoegaze bands do you listen to? Their older stuff, Title Fight, is pop punk! However I am not really into these newer pop punk bands (anything after 2009)... they all sound the same. But I did find a gem! They're called State Champs. Maybe you'll dig them. I got into them after I heard their cover on Punk Goes Pop 6. Here's the cover they did. I was impressed because the vocalist is actually able to sing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27UbBjV2B6w

And here are two of their actual songs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysptZ27mmeM

The part between 2:32 and 2:50 is my favorite. The vocals sound really nice, probably the best vocals I've heard on a pop punk album since.. ever. They kind of remind me of Jonny Craig who is my favorite vocalist and who also happens to be a fan of State Champs! Speaking of fans... Tyler Posey from Teen Wolf is also their fan! He even got to tour with them. Tyler loves pop punk music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GetBt-DlL_k

Speaking of pop punk music, you said your dad liked blink-182... awesome! Your dad is rad. Enema of the State was my first CD. I am excited for their new album which comes out on 1 July. I thought their new single Bored to Death was OK... the bridge was awesome, they were building up to a similar sound of their best albums (Enema Of The State, Take Off Your Pants) but then they didn't take it any further and I was disappointed. The short song Built This Pool sounds typically like blink-182 and I love it, but it's too short.. only 15 seconds long. Another song, but only played live so far, is reminiscent of their older sound, which I truly adore, is also very short.. 30 seconds long. That one is called Brohemian Rhapsody.

Goddamn, I talk way too much when it comes down to music. Welp.
    ^lol i guess you forget I had the shoegaze thread in rdfrn. I like "nothing" which also has nick bassett from whirr...

and no my dad is not cool, I love him, but he's the biggest tool. Blink182 is actually coming to austin soon but I don't want to see them with out tom. Whats kind of funny is tom delonge was on coast to coast am the other day ranting about aliens and the goverment like my favorite little princess

Jump to Top