User Controls

Hard Disk Recovery

Dfg Tuskegee Airman [compulsively riposte the emigrant]
    So, me being awesome decided to buy a 5 bay external 3.5" enclosure. Non-raid, because my main rig was just sitting collecting dust and I had a new laptop.

I take out all my Hard drives and I had another Drive mount with me. attached all the drives and I was moving the data until, shit went down. System hang, and I had to power shit off.

WHEN I TURN ON, two drives 2TB and 4TB are gone, the partition is GONE.

Faster forward to panic attacks and finding I had a backup (thank fuck for dropbox, did lose some totse shit) I researched and used two tools.

1) TEST DISK, fucker ran for days, and still couldn't find anything to recover, waste of time.
    2) Get Data Back NTFS, was able to recover the data, I pulled everything out, when I opened the files, THEY"RE ALL CORRUPT.

So now, I am sitting here with my dick in hand, contemplating how to proceed. I can try another tool or I can say FUCK IT and format the 2TB drive and start recovery on the 4TB drive which has large video files which I don't think will get any recovery. TESTDISK was my decent hope but now that doesn't work.

SO any ideas, oh and DO NOT FUCKING USE THOSE SHIT ENCLOSURE. IF you do use it for shit that's disposable.
    GasTheKikesRaceWarNow Houston [this unquestioningly unfrequented clast]
    You probably just needed to recreate the index. Too bad you don't know shit about computers.
    Originally posted by GasTheKikesRaceWarNow You probably just needed to recreate the index. Too bad you don't know shit about computers.

Yeah but you know, so how do I do it?

EDIT: THE PARTITION IS LOST as in your need to format it. So, if you're referring to Chkdsk it won't work.
    Grimace motherfucker [my enumerable hindi guideword]
    Are you sure you're using Testdisk correctly? This is precisely the scenario Testdisk was made for. I use it all of the time to recover lost partitions.
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    Originally posted by Grimace Are you sure you're using Testdisk correctly? This is precisely the scenario Testdisk was made for. I use it all of the time to recover lost partitions.

Maybe I messed it up, let me run a deep scan on it, hopefully it might catch something.
    Is the partition table intact?
    Originally posted by Dfg Maybe I messed it up, let me run a deep scan on it, hopefully it might catch something.

Set your sensors to 150% there ensign.
    Originally posted by inb4l0pht Is the partition table intact?

Not sure, on that.
    Originally posted by Dfg Not sure, on that.

Run another scan.
    Originally posted by jedi.Goldstein Run another scan.

Okay, the three it picked it up, it said no partition found, I will run a deeper scan.
    -SpectraL coward [the spuriously bluish-lilac bushman]
    You have to select the proper drive type in TestDisk before you scan for deleted partitions.
    Originally posted by -SpectraL You have to select the proper drive type in TestDisk before you scan for deleted partitions.

EFI/GPT is the drive though :(, maybe I should try MBR just incase.
    Originally posted by Dfg EFI/GPT is the drive though :(, maybe I should try MBR just incase.

"Intel" or "None".
    After selecting Intel, go to [Advanced] - File System Utilties, then select LIST at the bottom if the drive shows up there.
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    Originally posted by -SpectraL After selecting Intel, go to [Advanced] - File System Utilties, then select LIST at the bottom if the drive shows up there.

Okay gonna try that.
    WE SMOOTH African Astronaut

Originally posted by WE SMOOTH
    WE SMOOTH African Astronaut
    Dfg torrented that album from Pakistan and he couldn't help but admit it was fuckin' jammin!!!
    Originally posted by WE SMOOTH Dfg torrented that album from Pakistan and he couldn't help but admit it was fuckin' jammin!!!

Put on this mask. The line says "useless gas mask". It is not poison, clearly.
    aldra JIDF Controlled Opposition
    If testdisk or other file recovery tools are unable to recover data, I don't think you have much chance of rebuilding the partition. All they do is scan the harddrive looking for headers for known filetypes then grab the subsequent data and put them in a file - if they're 'recovering' hopelessly corrupt data it either means that the data is damaged or extremely fragmented.

I would recommend booting to GPARTED (or PARTED if you like the terminal, it'll give you more feedback) to see if/how it recognises the partitions, but don't get your hopes up.
    Originally posted by aldra If testdisk or other file recovery tools are unable to recover data, I don't think you have much chance of rebuilding the partition. All they do is scan the harddrive looking for headers for known filetypes then grab the subsequent data and put them in a file - if they're 'recovering' hopelessly corrupt data it either means that the data is damaged or extremely fragmented.

I would recommend booting to GPARTED (or PARTED if you like the terminal, it'll give you more feedback) to see if/how it recognises the partitions, but don't get your hopes up.

Thanks did a deeper scan, it lists partitions, all of them give me the filesystem is damaged. So fuck me :(
Jump to Top