User Controls

What if your soul is simply the metaconcept of your selfhood and your individuality+unitarity?

What if these metaconcepts could be visualised in three dimensions using their value some sort of conceptual intensity scales (with no mathematical upper limit)? These three (or more) scales could be the building blocks of a concept, reduced into three different taxonomies, like the fundamental particles of an idea, derived from pure logic:

https://open.umn.edu/opentextbooks/BookDetail.aspx?bookId=54

Such as Questions, Imperatives and Exclamations? What if this is the realm of souls and of God? The land found only if you open your perceptions to the "alternate dimension" of Ideas ? Perhaps your soul, this metaconcept, is simply what resides in this realm of ideas? This body is a poor trapping of that metaconcept, trying to mimic it's godly ideal concept of itself, bound to sin by being lower than our highest ideal. That dimension of ideas might very well be very real, and perhaps that is what explains the mind, explains qualia and explains experience.

It is a realm we cannot touch, a realm we seemingly cannot interact with. It seems like such an abstract concept, but it's really all rooted in matter somehow, we think. There is a material secret behind it, we speculate. But when we think about the possibilities of these ideas, the implications of what it would mean for ideas to be based in matter, all we get is a logical disconnect, an error beep. It's not really possible. There are so many paradoxes. But nothing works that way. So why are we so enamoured with this myth of matter? Why can there not be a realm of ideas that sits on the same rung if the ladder as the realm of matter? What would it mean to experience this matter and it's interactions without a realm of ideas?

Perhaps the next frontier in science will actually be this next frontier in philosophy: to explore the physics and science of the realm of thought, to explore the physics and chemistry and perhaps (the domain of our souls) the biology of thought.
    This is my religion now.
    yeah there's a spirit realm this is news
    bimpo
    theres not a single new concept introduced by this

tldr we have cognition and the structure is to be discovered and insights into the physics of cognition will lead to an integrated model of the mental world influencing the physical world and vice versa
    Originally posted by lempoid loompus theres not a single new concept introduced by this

tldr we have cognition and the structure is to be discovered and insights into the physics of cognition will lead to an integrated model of the mental world influencing the physical world and vice versa

i.e. you have athletic abilities problems and didn't understand my post at all.
    its all a bunch of rhetoric bullshit. just the style in which the post is written is impressionistic. summarize to me in 2-3 sentences how this concept differs from what i've just said. its a logical concept hidden in a heap of new age cringe
    Questions, Imperatives and Exclamations?

this is like input/output/configuration but more fucked
    Originally posted by lempoid loompus its all a bunch of rhetoric bullshit. just the style in which the post is written is impressionistic. summarize to me in 2-3 sentences how this concept differs from what i've just said. its a logical concept hidden in a heap of new age cringe

I have a higher IQ than you.
    Lanny Bird of Courage
    What ontological status do you assign to "ideas", "concepts", or "metaconcepts"? Are these the same class of object? Do these things supervene on the physical?
    Originally posted by Lanny What ontological status do you assign to "ideas", "concepts", or "metaconcepts"? Are these the same class of object? Do these things supervene on the physical?

Okay so I'm very high right now so I'm going to answer what I understand your question to be, and you tell me how far I missed the mark on answering it:

I think it is very likely that "ideas" do exist as something of the same heirarchical level as (but a different categorical branch than) material reality. They're just as real and existent as matter. Information seems to be a much more fundamental metaphysical building block than any material fundamental particles. One can construct a logically consistent framework for fundamental physics that uses information as the most fundamental "thing". You can end the physics debate there. But since information is not of the same class as matter, we can't really even grant that it exists per se. So I think information exists and certain configurations of information can form an idea, and so on. It is like mathematics, but with metrics of informationality.
    Originally posted by Jeremus I'm going to answer what I understand your question to be

with lanny that's the best you're ever going to get to a genuine meaning
    Lanny Bird of Courage
    Originally posted by Jeremus I think it is very likely that "ideas" do exist as something of the same heirarchical level as (but a different categorical branch than) material reality.

Do you propose some kind of interaction between these two things? Does a change in the physical domain imply a change in the ideal domain? Are the "ideas" you're described the same kind of ideas as we experience every day, e.g. ideas about what is or isn't the case?

They're just as real and existent as matter. Information seems to be a much more fundamental metaphysical building block than any material fundamental particles. One can construct a logically consistent framework for fundamental physics that uses information as the most fundamental "thing". You can end the physics debate there.

Being able to construct a model of something which supposes something else as its substrate doesn't really seem to be positive evidence that that thing actually is the substrate in actuality. E.g. we might be able to generate a logically consistent phlogiston model of combustion but later discover for all its modeling powers there never actually was any phlogiston.

And what's the relationship between "ideas" and "information" here? Are they the same thing?
    Originally posted by Lanny Do you propose some kind of interaction between these two things? Does a change in the physical domain imply a change in the ideal domain? Are the "ideas" you're described the same kind of ideas as we experience every day, e.g. ideas about what is or isn't the case?

I don't know if I'd call it an interaction so much as a correspondence. Our material world would be inscribed in the informational world. In my view, whatever "fundamental undivisible" we come to in the science of matter, can be then be argued to be constructed of nothing but informational content, which is made of nothing g but itself, and this is all very logically consistent and free from contradiction.

Being able to construct a model of something which supposes something else as its substrate doesn't really seem to be positive evidence that that thing actually is the substrate in actuality. E.g. we might be able to generate a logically consistent phlogiston model of combustion but later discover for all its modeling powers there never actually was any phlogiston.

I mean, if you can construct an accurate and logically sound phlogiston model that describes all phenomena involved, and predicts all behaviour therein... Who is to say phlogiston does not exist?

And what's the relationship between "ideas" and "information" here? Are they the same thing?

Ideas are to information what atoms are to fundamental particles.
    NARCassist gollums fat coach
    no one in the history of mankind has ever even come close to proving that there is a separate entity that is a part of us but that can live or exist in any form separately from ourselves whether before or after we die. so what makes you think you even have a soul?

Originally posted by NARCassist no one in the history of mankind has ever even come close to proving that there is a separate entity that is a part of us but that can live or exist in any form separately from ourselves whether before or after we die. so what makes you think you even have a soul?

I didn't say I think I have a soul. I said that perhaps the soul could be something of a very conceivable and real nature though.
    Originally posted by Jeremus I didn't say I think I have a soul. I said that perhaps the soul could be something of a very conceivable and real nature though.

based on what?

just talking about 'the soul' is assuming it exists.

Originally posted by NARCassist based on what?

just talking about 'the soul' is assuming it exists.

I literally wrote the whole first post on this subject. I'm not explaining shit till you read it.
    Originally posted by Jeremus I literally wrote the whole first post on this subject. I'm not explaining shit till you read it.

its tl;dr tho

Jump to Top