User Controls

Matlab add-on shit

Lanny Bird of Courage
    Anyone here a regular matlab user? I have a question about the addon things, specifically if any of them are actually worth it.

I've had a number of classes that "required" matlab but where I was able to get by with octave with pretty minimal adjustments, but then most of what I was doing was implementation from scratch. Now I've inherited a fairly big questionably designed matlab codebase and the amount of effort it's going to take to make this shit run under octave is worth a lot more than the $100 or whatever for a student license. Also I wouldn't mind the better SIMD magicks and non-jank figure UI (for whatever reason on OSX resizing a figure has to do some crazy slow shit that takes longer than plotting the thing in the first place and will lock the whole of whatever process controls all the figure windows. And export is so shit it's easier to take screencaps of figures).

So anyway, it looks like there's like the $49 version with none of the addon stuff, then the $100 version with a handful of stuff but not all of it. Symbolic math one sounds useful since I've regressed and now need worlfram for grade school algebra and above. SP, CV, Audio ones are relevant to what I'm working on but on the other hand I'm working off fairly recent papers so I'm not sure if there's going to be a lot of useful code in there I'm not going to have to implement myself anyway.

How are these addons shipped anyway? Like are they .m files I can open and edit or is it like a C++ binary and some binds?

So, thoughts? Do I need any of this shit? Any add-ons that are particularly useful I haven't mentioned?
Jump to Top