User Controls

Is time an emergent property of entropy?

Sophie Pedophile Tech Support
    I don't really know about the physics of time. But it would seem the two are linked. Anyway, what are your thoughts on the nature of time?
    aldra JIDF Controlled Opposition
    explain what you mean by the title
    I would think it is intrinsic rather than emergent. Considering a system has a certain entropy at a certain time and a different entropy at a different time we would see that the time of measure of entropy for a system changes the outcome of the measure.

Maybe explain what you mean by emergent for more in depth answers.
    Originally posted by ZambianIntelligenceAgency I would think it is intrinsic rather than emergent. Considering a system has a certain entropy at a certain time and a different entropy at a different time we would see that the time of measure of entropy for a system changes the outcome of the measure.

Maybe explain what you mean by emergent for more in depth answers.

What i mean is maybe there is actally no such thing as time and what we experience as it is just entropy. Hence why i said that "time" might be an emergent property of entropy.
    Perhaps i am not using the right terminology here, in which case i apologize, i am not a physicist.
    Current models indicate that time is a dimension. That's why they talk about space-time. Entropy is regarded as a result of thermodynamics, and not time, entropy operates in all dimensions, time is just one of them.
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    NARCassist gollums fat coach
    check it out for yourself

https://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Entropie

NARCassist gollums fat coach

Originally posted by NARCassist

I'm not sure how that explains why time only moves in one direction. If time DID move backwards, maybe we would see entropy increase in that direction as well. But we don't see that happen, so our definition of entropy is based on our experience of time only moving in one direction (if that even has any meaning, which I'm not sure that it does. When we walk down the street, we can go multiple directions, but we've so far never been able to do that in time, so maybe the situation is just not as analogous as the human mind likes to imagine), so how can anyone say entropy "causes" time to only move in one direction?

It's this thing I've noticed humans who are into science often do, assign meaning or cause to things that don't have them. Like for a current and it's accompanying magnetic field, people will say the current "causes" the magnetic field, or maybe the other way around, the magnetic field "causes" the current. But really, who is to say what is causing what? It's just the mind trying to assign cause and effect, because from an evolutionary standpoint, that kind of thinking made us survive a lot. But in reality, the two things just exist at the same time. There is no cause or meaning.

It's the same kind of bland ignorance that leads god believers to say things like "Look at the giraffe, if god didn't make the giraffe, how did they get such long necks to eat out of those trees they need to?" Motherfucker, it's because nature shit out a bunch of giraffoids with no respect for thier lives, and the ones that happened to have longer necks survived and the rest fucking died. Stop trying to attribute meaning to things that have none.
    benny vader YELLOW GHOST
    time can not exist if nothing moves.
    bling bling Dark Matter
    time is the 4th dimension
Jump to Top