User Controls

Empathy Vs Remorse

SBTlauien African Astronaut
    How do these two relate?

What does it mean if a person can't feel empathy and doesn't feel remorse for things that he/she knows hurt others?

He/she knows that the things were wrong, but doesn't care about the effects it had on others?
    mmQ Lisa Turtle
    They're practically the same thing.
    kroz weak whyte, frothy cuck, and former twink
    Originally posted by mmQ They're practically the same thing.

*jumps on mq's back and grabs him by the ears and starts riding him around the room like a vroom vroom!*
    HTS highlight reel
    What does it mean to feel remorse but not empathy?
    these empathy threads are getting retarded.

*jumps on hts's back and starts riding him around the room like a moped*
    mmQ Lisa Turtle
    Originally posted by Bill Krozby *jumps on mq's back and grabs him by the ears and starts riding him around the room like a vroom vroom!*

Way to not show up to another calling you out TC thread. Loser!
    mmQ Lisa Turtle
    Just spent 3 hours with totse2001, Luigi, PWP, and savammah, and not a trace of you.
    mmQ Lisa Turtle
    Originally posted by HTS What does it mean to feel remorse but not empathy?

I think this is why I said they're practically the same thing.
    Originally posted by mmQ Just spent 3 hours with totse2001, Luigi, PWP, and savammah, and not a trace of you.

lol i was just there and played totse2k all the songs he wanted , sorry i have a different life than you big bromo dragon fly

we will try again next week.
    Sophie Pedophile Tech Support
    Originally posted by mmQ They're practically the same thing.

No they're not. Empathy is the ability to feel what others are feeling, remorse comes with a 'guilt' component. When you feel that you have done something wrong. Not just know intellectually that what you did is considered to be wrong but experiencing a negative emotion(suffering) because you know you are responsible for something bad.
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    If you wanna feel like a sociopath, just imagine yourself hurting or killing a slut and realize you feel nothing. That's what a sociopath feels like, only in regards to everyone, not just fucking slut whores.
    -SpectraL coward [the spuriously bluish-lilac bushman]
    Not an SG thread.
    Daily an(nu)ally [dissolutely whisk the pantheon]
    Originally posted by Sophie No they're not. Empathy is the ability to feel what others are feeling, remorse comes with a 'guilt' component. When you feel that you have done something wrong. Not just know intellectually that what you did is considered to be wrong but experiencing a negative emotion(suffering) because you know you are responsible for something bad.

If somebody merely understands what somebody else is "feeling" without feeling it themselves - is that still empathy
    benny vader YELLOW GHOST
    Originally posted by Daily If somebody merely understands what somebody else is "feeling" without feeling it themselves - is that still empathy

nope.
    I've never understood this

I can understand with perfect clarity what somebody is feeling depending on what they're saying to me. Oh, you just got fired? Damn, bruh, sucks! I'll help you out, I know a guy. Broke up with your gf? Dude, look at these red flags she exhibited, who gives a shit? She was a cunt. Family problems? I don't know what to say to you breh but I'm here for whatever you need.

But...feeling what they're feeling? That's bullshit, no? Do people actually feel, like really FEEL what somebody else is feeling because you're listening to their words and looking at their facial expressions?

Real talk. I'm not some sort of psycho, I'm a very functional person with healthy relationships. But I certainly cannot, under any circumstances, feel what somebody else is feeling. I just understand what they're feeling because I'm not an autist.

Am I the only one here? Enter back me up
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    benny vader YELLOW GHOST
    i understand touching you there makes you feel really good but ill never be able to feel what you feels becos i dont have what you have.

emmm. feels good doesnt it ???
    coughgel Yung Blood
    Originally posted by Daily If somebody merely understands what somebody else is "feeling" without feeling it themselves - is that still empathy

thats called cognitive empathy

i swear the people on this site are fucking retarded
    Originally posted by coughgel thats called cognitive empathy

i swear the people on this site are fucking retarded

What do the numbers on your bank account say
    mmQ Lisa Turtle
    Originally posted by Sophie No they're not. Empathy is the ability to feel what others are feeling, remorse comes with a 'guilt' component. When you feel that you have done something wrong. Not just know intellectually that what you did is considered to be wrong but experiencing a negative emotion(suffering) because you know you are responsible for something bad.

But to feel remorse you essentially have to demonstrate empathy in that you understand why you feel the remorse in the first place.
    mmQ Lisa Turtle
    I guess that could be sympathy too. Depends on the situation.
Jump to Top