User Controls

Forget the phone recommendation thread, I need a new fucking computer!

Spilled water on my laptop keyboard and now my qwerty is a wry. No o key, no enter. Shit is frustrating. I've got a wireless keyboard for now but it clicks like its in pain. As a writer, this is absolute hell. But this laptop is a good 7-8 years old so it's about time for a new one anyway. I'm amazed I didn't spill water on it sooner.

I'm hoping to get a laptop, but I also know that a desktop would be cheaper. Looking to spend an initial 200-400. If it's a desktop, I'd rather be a cheap ass now and upgrade later. Also need a new mouse/keyboard/monitor if I'm going desktop. I use my computer primarily for internet/writing and sometimes for gaming.
    RestStop Space Nigga
    My Toshiba Satelittle g50-80 signature edition was working swimmingly for 3 years until I spilled Dr. Pepper on it...I highly recommend it.
    What kind of specs did your old one have
    mmQ Lisa Turtle
    Dude. You're getting a Dell.
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    benny vader YELLOW GHOST
    Originally posted by 哈哈你看不懂中文 Spilled water on my laptop keyboard and now my qwerty is a wry. No o key, no enter. Shit is frustrating. I've got a wireless keyboard for now but it clicks like its in pain. As a writer, this is absolute hell. But this laptop is a good 7-8 years old so it's about time for a new one anyway. I'm amazed I didn't spill water on it sooner.

I'm hoping to get a laptop, but I also know that a desktop would be cheaper. Looking to spend an initial 200-400. If it's a desktop, I'd rather be a cheap ass now and upgrade later. Also need a new mouse/keyboard/monitor if I'm going desktop. I use my computer primarily for internet/writing and sometimes for gaming.

you have mild munchausen by proxy syndrome. get help before it gets severe.
    A College Professor victim of incest [your moreover breastless limestone]
    Consider going second hand. There are a lot of old ex-commercial use computers out there, and if you install linux you can get a lot of usability out of them.

Of course depends on your use case.
    SBTlauien African Astronaut
    Originally posted by mmQ Dude. You're getting a Dell.

I actually got a Dell laptop for almost $1000 but for free. I like it a lot.
    Get a Chromebook if all you want is a cheap student laptop for typing and noodling around the cybersphere
    Then get a desktop for ya vidyamemes
    Zanick #2 Houston [my concurrently tip-tilted dermestidae]
    CF makes a good point for a Chromebook. If you can work efficiently with Google Docs rather than a desktop word processor, I think that you'll find it more than adequate. Cloud integration is a becoming a very important aspect of my workflow and I think you'll benefit greatly from being able to access and edit documents from multiple devices. I consider it a must, if you opt for the Chromebook.
    Originally posted by Zanick #2 CF makes a good point for a Chromebook. If you can work efficiently with Google Docs rather than a desktop word processor, I think that you'll find it more than adequate. Cloud integration is a becoming a very important aspect of my workflow and I think you'll benefit greatly from being able to access and edit documents from multiple devices. I consider it a must, if you opt for the Chromebook.

What about clown integration
    Every time I heard "cloud" in a computing context, I mentally replace it with "clown".
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    For example, in this video, all I hear is Creative Clown:

I hate Google docs. I know ms word inside and out. Learning google docs would get in the way of my formatting needs, it also isn't as flexible.

However it doesn't matter. If I'm getting a laptop, it needs to be good for gaming. I can settle for a while on a desktop but if i got a laptop thats shit for juegos I'd just end up buying another computer that isn't.
    I would never recommend getting a laptop for the purpose of playing vidya.

There are too many problems involved.

Cost:performance ratio is a big one

Lack of upgradability is another

Thermal concerns are one more

And so on. Even if you don't want a Chromebook, my recommendation would be to just get a cheap laptop and then build a decent desktop.

The only exception is if you don't want to ever play new games (then feel free to buy a laptop for gaming). But that's probably not the case.
    Specially for 200-400, you're not getting anything I would call competent for gaming.
    This one is a decent laptop under $400 if you want to buy brand new:

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01K1IO3QW/
    I'll try to find a deal or used one for you
    Raw numbers, this one has a lower res screen but 3x the RAM of the one I first suggested:

https://m.newegg.com/products/N82E16834268901

Refurbished though.

This is also ignoring actual build quality, keyboard and trackpad quality etc, I'm just throwing specs out here
Jump to Top