User Controls

Imagine making this music and video using magnetic tape (1975)

Music video consists of 6 parts - Intro, Ballad, Solo, Opera, Rock, and Outro. It's some of the most complex music ever released, or ever likely to be released.

After lengthy rehearsals, the four-month recording sessions for the song’s parent album, A Night at the Opera, moved between six studios—an excess unheard of in 1975. Three weeks of that time was spent on …Bohemian Raphsody… with a whole week devoted to the operatic interlude. To achieve the grand chorale, the group layered a whopping 160 tracks of vocal overdubs (and remember, this was in the days of 24-track analog recording).

“We ran the tape through so many times it kept wearing out,” May said. “Once we held the tape up to the light and we could see straight through it, the music had practically vanished.

As the song was edited together from various reels, Mercury remained confident that his vision would be realized. Producer Roy Thomas Baker wasn’t as sure. “Nobody really knew how it was going to sound as a whole six-minute song until it was put together. [

Despite it being his grandest achievement, Mercury was candid about the song’s origin. “Bohemian Rhapsody didn’t just come out of thin air. I did a bit of research, although it was tongue-in-cheek and it was a mock opera. Why not? I certainly wasn’t saying I was an opera fanatic and I knew everything about it.”
    http://performingsongwriter.com/freddie-mercury-queen-bohemian-rhapsody
Jump to Top