User Controls

Ampache (self-hosted music streaming)

Lanny Bird of Courage
    Anyone use this thing?

I just set it up this morning, currently in the process of schlepping my library over to the server. I think this might finally be my musical panacea. My music library outgrew the largest phone I could find years ago and since then I've been manually cycling music through my phone as I wanted it. It's been super annoying. I've tried some streaming services like spotify or google plan but none of the catalogues ever more that like 80% of what I wanted to listen to. Also fuck paying for music and not being able to have my own copy, not having control of bitrates, not being able to control caching, offline play, and metadata correction.

It took maybe 30 minutes to do the usual server setup/hardening and then probably an hour and a half of fucking around with config. Partly my fault because I wanted to use non-standard options but the setup isn't exactly intuitive.

Setup aside though, this thing is pretty dope. The real selling point for me is I can keep my most commonly used subset of my library stored on my phone but if I get an itch to listen to a particular album it's not big deal to put an album or two over the wire on demand.
    Zanick motherfucker [my p.a. supernal goa]
    I used Audiogalaxy in 2011 for the same reasons you stated about space and whatnot, and I really missed it after the buyout, so it's refreshing to see another piece of software with the same goal in mind. I do wonder whether they had any serious existential problems with the business model that may or may not have been addressed by more recent industry developments but from what I recall of that app, it was very smooth and easy to operate. I haven't tried Ampache yet but I don't think my Apple music membership will last through 2018, so I may give it a try. Do you need to have your computer open at home and connected to wifi in order to stream?
    benny vader YELLOW GHOST
    your music files are larger than 128gb ???
    Lanny Bird of Courage
    Originally posted by Zanick I used Audiogalaxy in 2011 for the same reasons you stated about space and whatnot, and I really missed it after the buyout, so it's refreshing to see another piece of software with the same goal in mind. I do wonder whether they had any serious existential problems with the business model that may or may not have been addressed by more recent industry developments but from what I recall of that app, it was very smooth and easy to operate. I haven't tried Ampache yet but I don't think my Apple music membership will last through 2018, so I may give it a try. Do you need to have your computer open at home and connected to wifi in order to stream?

Yeah, your computer has to be open and accessible by your phone, so you either need a static IP, or something like dyndns if you're setting it up at home. And port forwarding.

I ended up renting a small VPS for to avoid IP and availability issues. There's probably a setup for plugging it into commodity could hosting services like AWS or something. It ends up being about the same as spotify which doesn't bother me, the cost of streaming services isn't really what turns me off to them, it's the notion of an intermediary for-profit company doling out access to something that was formerly private property.
    Lanny Bird of Courage
    Originally posted by benny vader your music files are larger than 128gb ???

About 150GB at this point.
    benny vader YELLOW GHOST
    wow.
    Lanny Bird of Courage
    Eh, it's not that much. Go on a normal general music board and you'll find a bunch of people with 500GB+ collections.
    you have a low eyeq
    benny vader YELLOW GHOST
    Originally posted by Lanny Eh, it's not that much. Go on a normal general music board and you'll find a bunch of people with 500GB+ collections.

how is that even possible ??? i mean unless you have a very loose requirement of whats considered ''great music''.

i've a long list of songs that i'd consider as Soundtracks of My Life and it all would still fit in an 8gb m2 card.

yes, thats right. 8Gb M2 card. from more 10years ago.
    Mine is 8.2gb, but about 1/4 of them I haven't listened to yet

That's not including all my audio lessons though, it would probably be about twice that
    Lanny Bird of Courage
    Originally posted by benny vader how is that even possible ??? i mean unless you have a very loose requirement of whats considered ''great music''.

i've a long list of songs that i'd consider as Soundtracks of My Life and it all would still fit in an 8gb m2 card.

yes, thats right. 8Gb M2 card. from more 10years ago.

My music collection isn't only stuff I consider "great music". My criteria for keeping something is if I can reasonably imagine wanting to hear it again at some point.

It's kind of an exponential process though. I listen to every album release by an artist I enjoy in a given year, and find 10-100 new artists to follow in a year. So every year there are more releases to listen to.
    benny vader YELLOW GHOST
    Originally posted by Lanny My music collection isn't only stuff I consider "great music". My criteria for keeping something is if I can reasonably imagine wanting to hear it again at some point.

It's kind of an exponential process though. I listen to every album release by an artist I enjoy in a given year, and find 10-100 new artists to follow in a year. So every year there are more releases to listen to.

i c.

for me tho ... its those songs that i came across, became lodged in my head, they are these songs that no matter how many times you play and replay it you would never get tired of ... sometimes you even stop and hang around longer at the shop/mall/whatever your at becos they had these songs playing.

or becos they remind you of a time or an era long gone, and all the good memories yoou've had ... which i call The Soundtracks of My Life.
Jump to Top