User Controls

What if what we think is consciousness is just a bunch of if/else statements?

Sophie Pedophile Tech Support
    IDK man. I often times see computer science niggas. Comment on AI and in a cheeky way say something along the lines of: Hon hon hon!(IDK Why they're French just roll with it OK) That's not AI! That's le if/else statements!

What's the difference? And maybe what we perceive as our own consciousness is the same?

I just went full Obbe didn't i?
    Obbe Alan What? [annoy my right-angled speediness]
    Consciousness is not what most people think it is.
    benny vader YELLOW GHOST
    ^ so it is what few people think what it is ????
    D4NG0 motherfucker
    Is someone still human if they are in a state of unconsciousness?
    Originally posted by D4NG0 Is someone still human if they are in a state of unconsciousness?

I would say yes, just not a very functional one. Just like a dead human. But a dead human is the least functional.
    Zanick motherfucker [my p.a. supernal goa]
    I've often wondered myself whether we enjoy a certain complexity only because of an intricately woven tapestry of interconnected phenomenal binaries, or whether it is more like a chorus of relatively complex individual pixels, but I think there's probably data to support many different conceptions of how consciousness is produced and many of these models could be at odds with one another.

Post last edited by Zanick at 2017-12-17T21:11:52.389898+00:00
    RisiR † 29 Autism
    Originally posted by Open Your Mind Consciousness is not what most people think it is.

I want to lobotomize you with a screwdriver.
    D4NG0 motherfucker
    Originally posted by RisiR † I want to lobotomize you with a screwdriver.

A screwdriver is not what most people think it is.
    benny vader YELLOW GHOST
    Originally posted by D4NG0 A screwdriver is not what most people think it is.

what it is then ???
    aldra JIDF Controlled Opposition
    they can dress it up all they want, functionally, AI is just a huge series of runtime-rewritable conditionals
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    Originally posted by Zanick I've often wondered myself whether we enjoy a certain complexity only because of an intricately woven tapestry of interconnected phenomenal binaries, or whether it is more like a chorus of relatively complex individual pixels, but I think there's probably data to support many different conceptions of how consciousness is produced and many of these models could be at odds with one another.

Post last edited by Zanick at 2017-12-17T21:11:52.389898+00:00

Maybe even if we are just bio-machines, consciousness might be an emergent property of that state of being.
    Originally posted by aldra they can dress it up all they want, functionally, AI is just a huge series of runtime-rewritable conditionals

Good point. Now how about people?
    RisiR † 29 Autism
    Even self-learning AI goes by that priciple, right? It has to "know" the end goal and then goes by trial and error to move on. I saw it in a video with Super Mario. The chess one does the same.

Pretty sure this applies to most ways of learning. Cionsciousness itself does not operate on that priciple as it can ask about and question the end goal itself. It can also deny. Mhmm.. maybe it can. Gets pretty deterministic here and that shit is 2meta4me.
    Originally posted by Sophie Good point. Now how about people?

I'd think so, but the brain doesn't seem to handle instructions and memory in the same way as a computer so we don't really have a way to prove or disprove it yet

Some conditions (instincts) are hardcoded, but generally learning works the same way - natural curiosity exposes a person to as much external stimuli as possible, and through the response these conditions are built (ie. naive curiosity leads a child to touch the stove, and from there they build a set of conditions to detect heat so it doesn't happen again).
    Originally posted by aldra I'd think so, but the brain doesn't seem to handle instructions and memory in the same way as a computer so we don't really have a way to prove or disprove it yet

Some conditions (instincts) are hardcoded, but generally learning works the same way - natural curiosity exposes a person to as much external stimuli as possible, and through the response these conditions are built (ie. naive curiosity leads a child to touch the stove, and from there they build a set of conditions to detect heat so it doesn't happen again).

Detecting heat and feeling pain from experiencing too much heat are two different programs though. A baby will still scream in agony if you burn them. I'd say pain response is hard coded as well probably, lol.
    benny vader YELLOW GHOST
    Originally posted by aldra naive curiosity leads a child to touch the stove, and from there they build a set of conditions to detect heat so it doesn't happen again).

doesnt explain s&m.
    Originally posted by Sophie Detecting heat and feeling pain from experiencing too much heat are two different programs though. A baby will still scream in agony if you burn them. I'd say pain response is hard coded as well probably, lol.

well yeah, that was more just an example of how behaviours might be constructed as a response to external stimuli
    Originally posted by benny vader doesnt explain s&m.

segmentation fault/damaged hardware
    benny vader YELLOW GHOST
    Originally posted by aldra segmentation fault/damaged hardware

sounds reasonable if your a normie.
    bling bling Dark Matter
    bup
Jump to Top