User Controls

Qutebrowser

Lanny Bird of Courage
    Any used this thing before? I just installed it.

I primarily use chrome for development because it easily has the best devtools of modern browsers but Google's involvement both the EME W3C corruption and their history of tacit support of net neutrality erosion have really rubbed me the wrong way, but it's increasingly obvious that Mozilla can be bought and sold so I'm not too hot on FF either. This morning I happened upon Qute browser and I have to say, I'm pretty impressed with it so far.

The vim stuff is sick, I used vimperator before but never kept it installed because it never quite integrated as well as it should have. The UI isn't exactly accessible but I do really like the minimalism of it. And support for modern web features is impressive for a upstart browser. A few hours of browsing and I haven't run into a single thing that's broke or missing with respect to chrome or FF although with EME I'm sure netflix isn't going to work.
    I don't know man, I just use mozerella and hope I'm unimportant enough to not be detected
    Lanny Bird of Courage
    It's not so much "detection" that bothers me, the NSA can snoop on me without the assistance of mozilla I'm sure. Mostly it's that effective corperate ownership that bugs me, the recent "let's inject advertisements as a browser vendor" episode which was the straw that broke the camel's back for me.
    Why don't you write your own browser? Call it Superboy Omega and make it 100% privacy oriented. Build in a noscript-esque functionality.
    Oh, this is very cool. A browser with built in vim bindings. I never liked vimperator in firefox but this seems like a much better implementation. I'm gonna test it out for a few days.
    SBTlauien African Astronaut
    As far as staying more anonymous, have you considered just using a cheap prepaid service for religious/political/other things?

$50 is a small price to pay for a completely separate internet service that's not attached to you. Plus, you can constantly replace those prepaid devices along with accounts(email, forum, etc) and erase a digital trail.

Your only problem would your location getting logged via stingrays. But there are ways around this, to an extent...
    aldra JIDF Controlled Opposition
    Try opera? I used to like it years ago, up until it started having major memory leak issues.

Now all the other major browsers have the same problems, and I haven't gone back to test it in like 5 years
    benny vader YELLOW GHOST
    the best i've known so far is k-meleon or something like that.
    Lanny Bird of Courage
    Originally posted by SBTlauien As far as staying more anonymous, have you considered just using a cheap prepaid service for religious/political/other things?

$50 is a small price to pay for a completely separate internet service that's not attached to you. Plus, you can constantly replace those prepaid devices along with accounts(email, forum, etc) and erase a digital trail.

Your only problem would your location getting logged via stingrays. But there are ways around this, to an extent…

Well again, it's not really about being anonymous. EME for example has nothing to do with anonymity, it's more that Mozilla has become a self-interested entity that's essentially trying to turn a profit instead of a community with an ideological basis. There are reasons for wanting to maintain software freedoms beyond being able to carry out illegal activities undetected.

Originally posted by aldra Try opera? I used to like it years ago, up until it started having major memory leak issues.

Now all the other major browsers have the same problems, and I haven't gone back to test it in like 5 years

I installed it back in the FF2 days just to see what it did, but it didn't present any compelling advantage over FF at the time so never used it heavily. Haven't used it in years.
    What about Brave, Eich's new browser?
    Lanny Bird of Courage
    Never tried it. I think their profit model is pretty damn questionable and the only real selling point is a feature that's been available in other browsers for a long time. I don't have anything against Eich, glad to see his career isn't dead after being forced to resign for holding an unpopular opinion, I just never really saw a reason to use Brave over FF.
    Originally posted by Lanny it's increasingly obvious that Mozilla can be bought and sold so I'm not too hot on FF either.

Originally posted by Lanny I just never really saw a reason to use Brave over FF.

k
    +1 superboy omega
    Lanny Bird of Courage
    Originally posted by Issue313 k

How exactly is Brave supposed to be immune to the market pressure that turned mozilla into what it is? Brave, as far as I can tell, is a for profit company. At least Mozilla can't slip its earnings directly into the pockets of investors while Brave has a legal obligation to do so. They don't have the track record of selling out on their values because A. they don't ostensibly have values and B. they have no track record
    Originally posted by Captain Falcon +1 superboy omega

I'm
    Lanny Bird of Courage
    not funny
    Drunk as shit
    Lanny Bird of Courage
    and ready to mingle!
    Ist a fuckin momday
    Lanny Bird of Courage
    yeah, but it's post-finals so every day is basically a friday.
Jump to Top