User Controls

my laptop died i think

NARCassist gollums fat coach
    Turned it off before going out, when I just turned it on again its not starting properly. Just gets this black screen with something like the mint menu bar at the bottom only it won't let me open the menu. It shows some notifications but the clock is blacked out and some notifications show a cross like a broken image icon. When I right click on it there's this shit about panels. I clicked on help and keeps talking about this 'MATE' desktop thing, which I've no idea what it is. Anyone got any ideas on this?

Originally posted by NARCassist this 'MATE' desktop thing

hacked by aldra.
    Here's a screenshot of what opens instead of the Linux mint is

Post last edited by NARCassist at 2017-12-10T01:46:58.296783+00:00

Post last edited by NARCassist at 2017-12-10T01:45:40.672399+00:00
    Not sure if these images are posting properly. Can anyone see them?
    Originally posted by greenplastic hacked by aldra.

No, I tried booting from a mint disc and that isn't working either. It goes to boot up then just crashes. Got a feeling this could be hardware problem.
    Originally posted by NARCassist No, I tried booting from a mint disc and that isn't working either. It goes to boot up then just crashes. Got a feeling this could be hardware problem.

that joke went straight over your head

and no your images are not showing up
    Originally posted by greenplastic that joke went straight over your head

and no your images are not showing up

OK sorry, didn't realize it was a joke. I don't get it tho, can you explain? What's aldra got to do with it?

Anyone know a good IMG host that works well with these stupid touch screen phones?

I fucking hate touch screens.

Originally posted by NARCassist OK sorry, didn't realize it was a joke. I don't get it tho, can you explain? What's aldra got to do with it?

because he's australian. idk. it was a dumb joke maybe
    Oh right, as in g'day mate? Yeah that's a pretty shit joke mate.

So just looking up about this mate desktop and its something that the cinnamon devs built based on the old gnome 3 project. Still not sure why I'm opening mate instead of mint. Until now I wasn't even aware I had mate on here but I'm assuming its part of mint. When I click on the menu icon tho i get a window with this message:

Your window manager does not support the show desktop button, or you are not running a window manager.

Originally posted by NARCassist Here's a screenshot of what opens instead of the Linux mint is

Your mouse pointer probably looks like this:

Your install of mint is fucked, it happens all the time due to linux on the desktop being sort of shit (I use linux mint too).

Can you get up a terminal by pressing CTRL + ALT + F5 and get back to your desktop by pressing CTRL + ALT + F8 ? Or different CTRL + ALT + F key combos?

Do you know your username and password?
    Originally posted by greenplastic because he's australian. idk. it was a dumb joke maybe

He's from UKistan, he wouldn't get it
    Mate, I'm pretty sure MATE was the desktop environment you're using on your laptop from '02.
    Just wipe it and install a less homosexual distro.
    Grimace motherfucker [my enumerable hindi guideword]
    MATE is a desktop environment used in many Linux distros. It appears that you have somehow fucked your DE up. You will need to reinstall a DE of your choice or simply reinstall Linux. If you partitioned your /home directory properly, there will be minimal data loss.
    Originally posted by Issue313 Can you get up a terminal by pressing CTRL + ALT + F5 and get back to your desktop by pressing CTRL + ALT + F8 ? Or different CTRL + ALT + F key combos?

Do you know your username and password?

that works but the terminal is the whole screen, lol.

no, mouse pointer is normal.

yes i know pw and un.

Did you charge the battery
    Sophie Pedophile Tech Support
    Originally posted by NARCassist that works but the terminal is the whole screen, lol.

no, mouse pointer is normal.

yes i know pw and un.

sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install xubuntu-desktop

sudo reboot

TADAA now you have xfce for a window manager/desktop environment.
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
Jump to Top