User Controls

Memantine

Zanick motherfucker [my p.a. supernal goa]
    As a nootropic, I've never taken something that put me so in touch with my creativity. It's also been helpful as an added mood stabilizer. Recreationally, it's almost worth doing if you don't have plans for 24 hours. I wish it were 1/4 the cost, though.

Anybody else have success stories? Warnings?
    Are you using the solution from Ceretropic? I've been interested in it in the past. I used to have access to a lot of it in script form because my grandpa took it for Alzheimer's and had a lot left when he died but I didn't know the nootropic potential at the time so they got tossed.
    Zanick motherfucker [my p.a. supernal goa]
    Good lord, I'm so sorry! And about your grandpa, too, of course. But Namenda is expensive stuff. I used Ceretropic before, but I get it at a better price from Nootropic Source. The latter tastes a bit like cough syrup while Ceretropics is milder in taste, but they seem to have equal potency, in my experience, and the price difference is not insubstantial.
    mso8 Houston
    i've never been into nootropics. maybe i should give it a spin
    LegalizeSpiritualDiscovery Space Nigga [my yellow-marked arboreous hypnotist]
    I wonder if it could potentially have a negative effect on memory and cognition like how using benzos long-term can raise your baseline anxiety levels once you stop taking them. Inb4 memantine gave me Alzheimer's
    How many mgs do you take?
    Memantine gave me alzheimer's
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    mmQ Lisa Turtle
    I can't remember -_-
    RestStop Space Nigga
    Heard it could reduce meth tolerance quite a bit. OP get addicted to meth and report back plz.
    mmQ Lisa Turtle
    I just read a bunch of technical jargon about it that I have no clue what it means. Something about blah blah GABA and blah careful taking it with stims and blah blah vitmain-b5 and some more shit about chemical stuff and complicated shit and then what resttop just said it lowers tolerance in other drugs apparently and then blah more chemistry stuff over my head and receptors and this and that and Alzheimer's and memory and whatnot.
    The following users say it would be alright if the author of this post didn't die in a fire!
    LegalizeSpiritualDiscovery Space Nigga [my yellow-marked arboreous hypnotist]
    Originally posted by mmQ I just read a bunch of technical jargon about it that I have no clue what it means. Something about blah blah GABA and blah careful taking it with stims and blah blah vitmain-b5 and some more shit about chemical stuff and complicated shit and then what resttop just said it lowers tolerance in other drugs apparently and then blah more chemistry stuff over my head and receptors and this and that and Alzheimer's and memory and whatnot.

This post brought to you by memantine-induced Alzheimer's.
    Originally posted by Kolokol-1 Memantine gave me alzheimer's

Are you kidding you do you actually theorize that memantine is the thing that fucked with your memory?
    Originally posted by Enter Are you kidding you do you actually theorize that memantine is the thing that fucked with your memory?

Nah I was fucking with LSD.

Sorry.

I have a sort-of photographic memory, but I can't control when pictures get taken.

Outside of that though both long and short term memory are shot pretty bad, although long term has definitely improved since I've ceased the drugs, and I don't think I truly have bad short term memory, I just can't be fucked to pay attention to things I don't care about, and from the outside that looks like bad memory.
    never tried it
    Malice Naturally Camouflaged
    Memantine: The Next Trend in Academic Performance Enhancement?
    http://jaoa.org/article.aspx?articleid=2093334

Memantine alters striatal plasticity inducing a shift of synaptic responses toward long-term depression.
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26471421

Basically it could prevent some long-term neurodegeneration, possibly even increase cognitive ability past the baseline a bit by preventing normal damage caused by glutamate, allowing the brain to recover more readily.

This would be particularly relevant for people on the autism spectrum and those with other disorders that may involve excessive levels of glutamate/neurological activity / insufficient levels of GABA. Epilepsy would likely be one of them, possibly even things like severe general anxiety and maybe OCD. By insufficient levels I really mean the net effect. Post-synaptic levels aren't all there is to it, of course. There are a variety of deficits that could lead to long-term damage.

The downside is that, at least for people who don't have a need for it related to the above, it could potentially reduce neuroplasticity and the development of some skills. I don't have much of a concern about it, I think that overall the evidence is strongly in favor of memantine as a beneficial substance.
Jump to Top